Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,282

0 members and 3,282 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fragile scales?

Thanks

Fragile scales?

I’ve been thinking about this for a bit, so I thought I’d take a chance and see if anyone has any thoughts. My Tanimbar scrub python has the softest, most delicate scales I’ve ever felt/seen on any snake. They are so fragile that I’m constantly worried about damaging them. Equally, they are constantly being damaged and then simply regenerate after the next shed. Usually.

I’ve asked a couple other scrub keepers if they’ve noticed this on their animals and it doesn’t seem to be the norm. It’s almost like his scales can get ruffled...like feathers. He’s constantly grabbing onto something in a weird way and bending a couple scales back here and there. It doesn’t seem to bother him at all, but I’m always worried about it.

For example, tonight he was squeezing his own body so tightly around himself and a chunk of my hair that he left these marks on his freshly shed belly! Really hard to see in the photo, but it looks like he was pulled backwards through a space that was too snug or something.

The pictures are super unclear, but in person it just reminds me of ruffles feathers. If I were to pet my Dumeril’s against the grain of the scales on her sides, it would be the same as petting her with the grain. On my scrub, those scales would likely bend back. Anyone else notice this on their animals? The poor kid just looks like I beat on him or something

I never yank him when he’s coiled in a vice grip; I always unwrap. And luckily, the redness from the photo subsided after about 20 minutes and he doesn’t even seem to notice. Just wondering if this isn’t odd!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Team Slytherin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-25-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I have noticed this on my white-lipped pythons, but then again, I don't really enjoy handling them because of how nervous they are, so the fear of damage goes down. They surf their cages a lot so I could certainly see where issues may arise.
    Too Many...

That's what my wife says

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PiperPython For This Useful Post:

Team Slytherin (10-26-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    How long have you had this snake, & how old was he when you got him? I'm not familiar with this species as to what is "normal" but the only time I've seen
    what you're describing as "fragile scales" has been in snakes that I took in as rescues that had been chronically-starved for unknown lengths of time. Such
    starvation can leave a permanent impact & in the extreme cases, the skin tears EASILY, leaving wounds with the underlying pink skin showing & the scales
    off to either side of the tears. I'm wondering if your snake got off to a bad start (in terms of feeding) before you got him & maybe you're seeing the result?

I cannot say whether or not his scales will improve with good nutrition, but I sure hope so, in that it's still very "early". Since you've asked others who keep
    these & they agree this isn't the norm, the only other things that I can think of are that your snake doesn't have as good of digestion as he should, that he is
    less able to absorb the nutrients he consumes*. Worst case scenario could also be something like a cancerous tumor that's stealing the nutrients, so I'd be
    looking for any lack of symmetry on his body, any swellings that could be a mass. And again, I'm just going out on a limb here as to any & all possibilities-
    HOPEFULLY it's nothing serious, or just perhaps that he had a poor feeding start.

*Afterthought: as far as digestion, has he ever been treated with a course of antibiotics? That certainly can be a negative impact on digestion, & more
    likely so in a younger (rapidly growing) snake, especially if nothing was done after treatment to mitigate the effects. (ie. adding probiotics) And again,
    you asked for thoughts on this...I'm just brain-storming a bit...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-25-2018 at 01:08 PM.

Thanks

Re: Fragile scales?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    How long have you had this snake, & how old was he when you got him? I'm not familiar with this species as to what is "normal" but the only time I've seen
    what you're describing as "fragile scales" has been in snakes that I took in as rescues that had been chronically-starved for unknown lengths of time. Such
    starvation can leave a permanent impact & in the extreme cases, the skin tears EASILY, leaving wounds with the underlying pink skin showing & the scales
    off to either side of the tears. I'm wondering if your snake got off to a bad start (in terms of feeding) before you got him & maybe you're seeing the result?

I cannot say whether or not his scales will improve with good nutrition, but I sure hope so, in that it's still very "early". Since you've asked others who keep
    these & they agree this isn't the norm, the only other things that I can think of are that your snake doesn't have as good of digestion as he should, that he is
    less able to absorb the nutrients he consumes*. Worst case scenario could also be something like a cancerous tumor that's stealing the nutrients, so I'd be
    looking for any lack of symmetry on his body, any swellings that could be a mass. And again, I'm just going out on a limb here as to any & all possibilities-
    HOPEFULLY it's nothing serious, or just perhaps that he had a poor feeding start.

*Afterthought: as far as digestion, has he ever been treated with a course of antibiotics? That certainly can be a negative impact on digestion, & more
    likely so in a younger (rapidly growing) snake, especially if nothing was done after treatment to mitigate the effects. (ie. adding probiotics) And again,
    you asked for thoughts on this...I'm just brain-storming a bit...
    THIS is very helpful! Thank you so much for your insight. I have had him for 14 months and estimate he was just over a year old at pickup. The owner of the establishment where I acquired him was vague in regards to the details of his history, stating “we don’t really get much information about these guys when they come in.”

I realize that is kind of a red flag statement, but I was already too in love to leave him behind�� The man told me Apophis and 3 others had been in the facility for nearly a year, but were both snappy and difficult feeders, so were kept in the back and not displayed. I took that to mean they were likely wild caught animals in quarantine, undergoing anti-parasitic treatment. Especially considering the other 3 were sold without being displayed. Seems really shady.

So so the truth is, I don’t know much about the history of this animal before he came to me. I do suspect he was underfed, but he definitely didn’t look starved or anything. Maybe this is a good excuse for a checkup with a reptile vet.
    Last edited by Team Slytherin; 10-25-2018 at 08:45 PM.

Thanks

Yes, parasites can also have a huge impact on the amount of nutrition a snake actually gets to use from their meals. This is right in line with all the other information
    you gave about his life before you got him...it makes total sense that his scales seem "weak"...lets hope that time & good care with you will allow his improvement,
    even though it will probably be very gradual. A re-check of his stool for parasites might be helpful, just for peace of mind. I think it speaks very well of you that you
    noticed this issue...many others would not have.

Thanks
    By the way, this is really no different than when you see someone who has been seriously ill, and the condition of their hair & nails reflect their overall
    health situation in a similar way. You see the same things with dogs too: many years ago I adopted a Doberman that had been badly abused & starved,
    then legally taken from that abusive owner & put up for adoption in the local shelter. She was only about 2 years old yet much of her "red" hair had turned
    white from the stress & abuse, but happily that all turned around in the coming months with me, & she lived a long & happy life after such an awful start.

Thanks

Yes, parasites can also have a huge impact on the amount of nutrition a snake actually gets to use from their meals. This is right in line with all the other information
    you gave about his life before you got him...it makes total sense that his scales seem "weak"...lets hope that time & good care with you will allow his improvement,
    even though it will probably be very gradual. A re-check of his stool for parasites might be helpful, just for peace of mind. I think it speaks very well of you that you
    noticed this issue...many others would not have.
    Oh man, that makes so much sense now! Thank you so much! For the first 8 months or so that we were together, he was SO food oriented...even for a scrub python. He developed what I thought was this quirky habit of opening his mouth at me after feeding, as if to say, "more please!" It only stopped a few months ago, as he finally put on a good bit of girth.

Before that, I swear he would eat every day if I let him. I think it might also be telling that he has grown SIGNIFICANTLY in the last year, even on a moderate feeding schedule. He's gained over 2 feet in length and gone from 90 grams to 400. And he eats 10-15% of his body weight every 2-3 weeks. I'm going to scale him back for winter since he's growing like a weed. That seems to point to either a very young animal or possibly a previously malnourished one.

I just want to make sure I am doing everything I can to keep him healthy. I love this animal more that most humans. We were meant to be and I would do anything for my little kraken! <3

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Team Slytherin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-26-2018),Tessellate (10-26-2018)

Thanks
    That "open mouth" thing ("FEEEEED Meeeee!") sounds so cute but also explains a lot...I'm so glad when animals manage to find the right owners after a rough
    beginning. He was making up for "lost time".

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Team Slytherin (10-26-2018)

Thanks

That "open mouth" thing ("FEEEEED Meeeee!") sounds so cute but also explains a lot...I'm so glad when animals manage to find the right owners after a rough
    beginning. He was making up for "lost time".
    This is one of the best examples of the weirdness. It's oddly adorable and ultra-strange. He used to always assume that, after being held for awhile, when he was put back in his enclosure it always meant feeding time. Even if he'd eaten just a few days before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrWtcF-ExzA

I didn't remember until I just watched this. He WAS soooo tiny! He finally stopped the open-mouthed signal this past July, when he started eating day chicks. Finally, he doesn't continue looking for more food after he's eaten. He eats his chick and curls up to sleep

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Team Slytherin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-26-2018)

Thanks
    I can see why you love this snake so much! Tons of personality and he even wags his tail, lol... Is this one of the species that use their tail as a "lure"?
    That's how it appears anyway. The mouth-opening reminds me a a baby bird, not a snake? hahaha! Adorable times ten!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast