Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,371

4 members and 3,367 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

unusual scales- big worries:(

So the scales of my little (regular pastel?) baby gal have suddenly turned sort of dry and strange to the touch.

Some general information;
    She'll be turning 1 year this december, I don't know her exact weight as I haven't weighed her yet - but she eats a young mouse a week and barely skips meals.
    Her cage moisture is usually around 50-55%. Her hot spot;about 80-82F, and cold spot; around 73F.
    Her habitat is about 140 cm long and 45 cm tall.
    She had a pretty good shed the previous time, she just had some stuck on her tail which she managed to wiggle off later the same day.

I've had some issues with her rebelling and going behind the glass and her wallpaper. (it's 3D so there are some hollow spots in there.)
    Then we've got a sort of tight log that I had to block because it was impossible to feed her when she was in it, she wouldn't budge.
    ^ I reckon this might have been the cause of her scales looking like this, but if you know that it's not - please tell!

I don't know if I'm over-worrying and that this is something that will go away after a shed or so. I'm just afraid that she could possibly have some skin issues:<
    Thanks for all replies.<3

----- (not-so-good pictures below)

(head)
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...826/image1.jpg

(body 01)
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...472/image3.jpg

(body 02)
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...728/image0.jpg

(body 03)
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...442/image2.jpg

Thanks
    She is a pretty little lass, maybe rub but I am by no means an expert hopefully someone with more experience will chime in any moment, best wishes always..
    Domestic Short Hair - Miss Becky
    Russian Blue - Church
    Miniature Poodle - Pierre LaPoodlePants
    Banana BP - Yuri Katsuki

3. The Following User Says Thank You to C.Marie For This Useful Post:

sIeepymoon (10-23-2018)

Thanks

Re: unusual scales- big worries:(

Quote Originally Posted by C.Marie View Post
    She is a pretty little lass, maybe rub but I am by no means an expert hopefully someone with more experience will chime in any moment, best wishes always..
    thank you <3

Thanks

I don't have a bp already, but from many recommendations, I think you shold keep your hot spot around 90F and a cold side at least 75F... Maybe wait for someone more experienced, but I think it's a bit too cold...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michelle-07 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-23-2018),sIeepymoon (10-23-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle-07 View Post
    I don't have a bp already, but from many recommendations, I think you shold keep your hot spot around 90F and a cold side at least 75F... Maybe wait for someone more experienced, but I think it's a bit too cold...
    Yeah, I thought so too. I have to buy a new bulb so I can increase her temperature up to about 75-80F, especially now in the winter.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sIeepymoon For This Useful Post:

Michelle-07 (10-23-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle-07 View Post
    Yup, you're spot on. Temps are definitely too cold.

Can you post some pics of the enclosure and the hides etc...
    That backing "wallpaper" may need to come out and the log may not be a good idea. Basically, if it's not designed for snakes, it shouldn't be in there. What I mean is a lot of people use logs, skulls, trees, etc...that are designed for aquariums and other reptiles. But they can be dangerous to snakes.

Also, is there any tape or other adhesives in the enclosure? That's a HUGE no-no.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

sIeepymoon (10-23-2018),tttaylorrr (10-24-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Yup, you're spot on. Temps are definitely too cold.

Can you post some pics of the enclosure and the hides etc...
    That backing "wallpaper" may need to come out and the log may not be a good idea. Basically, if it's not designed for snakes, it shouldn't be in there. What I mean is a lot of people use logs, skulls, trees, etc...that are designed for aquariums and other reptiles. But they can be dangerous to snakes.

Also, is there any tape or other adhesives in the enclosure? That's a HUGE no-no.
    Everything I have in her habitat is specifically made for snakes, so that should be no issue at all.

And, yes, I do have both duct-tape and hot-glue in her enclosure. Though this should neither be an issue as there is zero way that she could ever get stuck.
    The duct-tape is completely wrapped around a piece of cardboard that prevents her from climbing behind her wallpaper.
    The hot-glue has dried ages ago, and is used to keep the cardboard piece in place.
    I've assured the cage many times to make sure that she cannot get stuck to neither tape or glue.

The "issue-log" is what I think may have caused this? She has never had anything like that before I bought that log and placed it in her Viv.

Here are some pictures;

(full habitat)
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...324/image0.jpg

(issue log, also know as the log that I closed up)
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...656/image1.jpg

(tape-cardboard piece w/ glue)
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...744/image0.jpg

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sIeepymoon For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-23-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Hmmmm...I'm not sure what could have caused it based on the pics. Everything looks good. The enclosure looks awesome, actually.

I still say you're playing with fire having the tape in there, though. Although it looks secure now, there's a reason it's strongly advised not to use tape in an enclosure. I've seen pics that are heartbreaking, and read some horror stories, including one that ended up fatal.
    In my personal opinion, it's just not worth the risk.

In any case, it looks like it's superficial and nothing that will effect the snakes health. It will most likely be gone next shed.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-24-2018),sIeepymoon (10-23-2018),tttaylorrr (10-24-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Hmmmm...I'm not sure what could have caused it based on the pics. Everything looks good. The enclosure looks awesome, actually.

I still say you're playing with fire having the tape in there, though. Although it looks secure now, there's a reason it's strongly advised not to use tape in an enclosure. I've seen pics that are heartbreaking, and read some horror stories, including one that ended up fatal.
    In my personal opinion, it's just not worth the risk.

In any case, it looks like it's superficial and nothing that will effect the snakes health. It will most likely be gone next shed.
    Yeah, I totally agree with you on the tape thing. I'd rather keep it all safe than having something that eventually CAN go wrong.
    I'll look into replacing the tape with some other material.

Thank you a lot for the help though! I'll keep you posted after her next shed<3

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sIeepymoon View Post
    Yeah, I totally agree with you on the tape thing. I'd rather keep it all safe than having something that eventually CAN go wrong.
    I'll look into replacing the tape with some other material.

Thank you a lot for the help though! I'll keep you posted after her next shed<3
    Sounds good!! I'm happy to help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast