Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,189

1 members and 3,188 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bit of sad news

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,213 Posts

Bit of sad news

Last year a friend from work and I went half’s on a pair of corn island nics, I had the female and he had the Male as he didn’t want a massive snake not that they get massive any way, he has two corns and 4 other boas so I didn’t think there would be a problem.well last Christmas he asked if I could try game him up a bit as he was always getting nipped by him , so I had had for a few months with Regular handling he soon came round and was eating fine Still a fair bit smaller than my female which the male boas often are so end of January he had him back He left work in March so not seen any thing of him except the odd text etc, anyway end of July he came to work and asked if I wanted to have him again as he’d still been hissy and snappy and been a bit funny with his food, I excepted the challenge as he is part of my future breeding project so was in my best interest , he brought him into work and I could of cried he looked so small and was extremely dehydrated and looked like loads of stuck shed, soon as I got home I weighed him 201g for a nearly 3year old Male, disgusting, my female his litter mate is 1350g such a vast difference, anyway I gave him a massive soak for a few hours and got most some of the stuck shed off 4layers in parts, had to leave a bit as he was starting to get really stressed, a couple of days later got the last of it off and he looked so much better, didn’t get nipped once or hissed at, he was probably glad, any way after a month he still hadn’t fed for me , took him to the vets and nothing wrong was found except his weight, still kept trying and eventually ate a medium mouse after 6weeks by him self , I tried every week since to try feed him but wasn’t having any of it , tried everything in the book, I had to assist feed but wasn’t keeping a medium mouse down so dropped down to fuzzy which was fine, but after a few weeks of these to try put him some weight on still refused to eat by him self so gave him a couple more fuzzy mouse, but I was worried i was fighting a loosing battle, I didn’t expect him to be alive when I came back from holiday but he was, he still would not eat so I gave a another fuzzy Tuesday night.
    Well this morning he was dead, poor little thing, must of just gone too far , was going back to vet Monday aswell but just too late
    I’m really cross with my friend who I wish would of asked earlier for help and
    Really upset I couldn’t of turned him round but tried everything
    RIP mr red Nic

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (09-22-2018),Bogertophis (09-22-2018),C.Marie (09-22-2018),dakski (09-22-2018),distaff (10-22-2018),Godzilla78 (09-23-2018),Sonny1318 (09-22-2018)

Thanks

Re: Bit of sad news

That's really sad to hear... Hope all is well with your other future breedings
    Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    Last year a friend from work and I went half’s on a pair of corn island nics, I had the female and he had the Male as he didn’t want a massive snake not that they get massive any way, he has two corns and 4 other boas so I didn’t think there would be a problem.well last Christmas he asked if I could try game him up a bit as he was always getting nipped by him , so I had had for a few months with Regular handling he soon came round and was eating fine Still a fair bit smaller than my female which the male boas often are so end of January he had him back He left work in March so not seen any thing of him except the odd text etc, anyway end of July he came to work and asked if I wanted to have him again as he’d still been hissy and snappy and been a bit funny with his food, I excepted the challenge as he is part of my future breeding project so was in my best interest , he brought him into work and I could of cried he looked so small and was extremely dehydrated and looked like loads of stuck shed, soon as I got home I weighed him 201g for a nearly 3year old Male, disgusting, my female his litter mate is 1350g such a vast difference, anyway I gave him a massive soak for a few hours and got most some of the stuck shed off 4layers in parts, had to leave a bit as he was starting to get really stressed, a couple of days later got the last of it off and he looked so much better, didn’t get nipped once or hissed at, he was probably glad, any way after a month he still hadn’t fed for me , took him to the vets and nothing wrong was found except his weight, still kept trying and eventually ate a medium mouse after 6weeks by him self , I tried every week since to try feed him but wasn’t having any of it , tried everything in the book, I had to assist feed but wasn’t keeping a medium mouse down so dropped down to fuzzy which was fine, but after a few weeks of these to try put him some weight on still refused to eat by him self so gave him a couple more fuzzy mouse, but I was worried i was fighting a loosing battle, I didn’t expect him to be alive when I came back from holiday but he was, he still would not eat so I gave a another fuzzy Tuesday night.
    Well this morning he was dead, poor little thing, must of just gone too far , was going back to vet Monday aswell but just too late
    I’m really cross with my friend who I wish would of asked earlier for help and
    Really upset I couldn’t of turned him round but tried everything
    RIP mr red Nic

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GalaGangzNYC For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (09-22-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    So sorry to hear this. Obviously, you did all you could.

Rest in Peace little snake.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (09-22-2018),GalaGangzNYC (09-22-2018),richardhind1972 (09-22-2018)

Thanks
    Wow no wonder he hissed and nipped he was hangry , poor wee little babe, thank you so much for trying to save the poor dear, he should have just left the fella with you. ~Healing hugs from across the pond~
    Last edited by C.Marie; 09-22-2018 at 10:21 AM.
    Domestic Short Hair - Miss Becky
    Russian Blue - Church
    Miniature Poodle - Pierre LaPoodlePants
    Banana BP - Yuri Katsuki

8. The Following User Says Thank You to C.Marie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,916 Times in 11,900 Posts
    So very sorry for this sad outcome...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I was really hoping for a better ending with you taking over the care. Sounds like you did everything you could, it reads like he completely gave up on the critter for whatever reason. At least he was in good hands at the end.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MAC1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It sounds like you did absolutely everything you could. He was lucky to have someone so caring at the end. So sorry for your loss.l

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    Very sorry you had to experience that Richard, you seem to be a really good guy. I admire the effort you put into trying to help the little guy. To bad, you seem to have done all you could. For what it’s worth I always think of you when I have a gardening question. Again sorry you had to go through that. Peace brother.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,916 Times in 11,900 Posts
    I really think there was something else going on with this snake all along, when I re-read over this...unfortunately it was nothing obvious, likely something
    you couldn't have fixed anyway, & without a necropsy, something you'll never know for sure. The guy that had him was in over his head, he maybe could
    have done better, but I don't think it was all his doing either. I guess you'll be looking for another mate for your female now. Rest in Peace, Mr. Red Nic

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,213 Posts

Thanks everyone, I was really hoping to get him on the mend, I will have to look for another male and there really scares in the UK , so may take a while

Josh has put most of snakes up for sale as he's been at his girlfriend's most of the time only going home to feed at his mum's as and when ,which I feel may have been half the problem
    I did tell him how unhappy I was with the state of the little guy with the amount of stuck shed on him when he first dropped him off, fingers crossed all his others go to a good home

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

19. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (09-22-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast