Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,394

4 members and 3,390 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Frequently soaking?

My two month old ball python has been soaking off and on various times throughout the day for the past couple of weeks. I've checked for mites: not only did I spray PAM, but I just checked using reptile spray with a white washcloth and nothing was on the washcloth. I have not seen any mites either. He has two hides; one rock hide on the cool side and two sets of fake leaves as the hide on his hot side. I've seen him in both hides. Temps may drop to 86 degrees on his hot side without the heater on, but it'll be at 90 degrees when I have it kicked on (it's on overnight). Humidity ranges between 70-80%.
    One of my biggest guesses is that he's trying to shed. He's slowly continuing with his shedding process, but if a ball python is going in shed, is it okay for them to soak off and on everyday? Both during day and night?

When he soaks, he doesn't just lay in the bowl. Since his bowl is pretty wide, he practically swims in it. I still have no idea what is up. Any ideas?

Thank you
    My best friend is a cat.

Thanks

Re: Frequently soaking?

Quote Originally Posted by Traceur View Post
    My two month old ball python has been soaking off and on various times throughout the day for the past couple of weeks. I've checked for mites: not only did I spray PAM, but I just checked using reptile spray with a white washcloth and nothing was on the washcloth. I have not seen any mites either. He has two hides; one rock hide on the cool side and two sets of fake leaves as the hide on his hot side. I've seen him in both hides. Temps may drop to 86 degrees on his hot side without the heater on, but it'll be at 90 degrees when I have it kicked on (it's on overnight). Humidity ranges between 70-80%.
    One of my biggest guesses is that he's trying to shed. He's slowly continuing with his shedding process, but if a ball python is going in shed, is it okay for them to soak off and on everyday? Both during day and night?

When he soaks, he doesn't just lay in the bowl. Since his bowl is pretty wide, he practically swims in it. I still have no idea what is up. Any ideas?

Thank you
    It could be that the hygrometer you have is not accurate. What kind of heating do you use? Under the tank or a light, maybe a CHE? If its any of those do you have a thermostat? I ask because his heat source should be on during the day too, with a thermostat to regulate the temp. Are his scales dull looking, or has he gone in blue? Those help to indicate that he could be going into shed. I would also check his underbelly, not just the enclosure, for mites. They hide between the scales.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Is the hygrometer similar to this by any chance ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Techbunneh View Post
    It could be that the hygrometer you have is not accurate. What kind of heating do you use? Under the tank or a light, maybe a CHE? If its any of those do you have a thermostat? I ask because his heat source should be on during the day too, with a thermostat to regulate the temp. Are his scales dull looking, or has he gone in blue? Those help to indicate that he could be going into shed. I would also check his underbelly, not just the enclosure, for mites. They hide between the scales.
    I have an accurate as a hygrometer. His heat source is a 50 watt infrared bulb (the 75 watt made his hot side over 95 degrees). His hot side temps usually stay 88-90 degrees. I always check his underbelly for mites, and nope, still none. His skin is both dull and his stomach is pink. Last night, I put paper to cover his terrarium sides to make it feel more secure. Do you think it might help?
    My best friend is a cat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Is the hygrometer similar to this by any chance ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    No it's this product
    https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-Humid...o_pop_mb_pd_t2
    My best friend is a cat.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Traceur For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (10-12-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    For your hotspot is that 88-90 surface temp or ambient? Are you using a temp gun to read surface temps?
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    What’s the cool side temp?
    1.0 - Cinnamon Banana Ball Python (Thunder)
    1.0 - Yellow Belly High White Pied Ball Python (Pretty Fly For A White Guy)
    0.1 - Cinnamon GHI Ball Python (Leslie Snipes)
    1.0 - Dumerils Boa (Sushi)
    0.1 - Caye Caulker Boa (Lady Liberty)
    0.0.? - Mandarin Rat Snake (Bumble)
    1.0 - Mexican Black King (Rico Suave)
    1.0 - Black Tail Cribo (Goldar)
    0.1 - Jaguar Carpet Python (Cookie)
    1.0 - Vietnamese Blue Beauty (Elsa)
    1.0 - Green Tree Python (Banner)
    0.2 - Yellow/Quince Monitors (Blanche & Dorothy)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    For your hotspot is that 88-90 surface temp or ambient? Are you using a temp gun to read surface temps?
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    What’s the cool side temp?
    That's the surface temp. I use a temp gun to read my temps.

When I'm not home, the cold side temps can drop to 75. But they pick back up to 77-80. His cool side hide is 78 degrees when it picks up.
    My best friend is a cat.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

That's the surface temp. I use a temp gun to read my temps.

When I'm not home, the cold side temps can drop to 75. But they pick back up to 77-80. His cool side hide is 78 degrees when it picks up.
    Could be you're right and it's because he's shedding. I'd still keep checking for mites just in case but it's likely you've already obliterated them with PAM before an infestation broke out. Something to keep in mind is only adult mites are black. Babies/younger ones are white and sometimes resemble dust or salt. So that's something else to look for.

I'd say just keep an eye on him and see if he continues this behavior after he sheds.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Traceur (10-12-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts

I have an accurate as a hygrometer. His heat source is a 50 watt infrared bulb (the 75 watt made his hot side over 95 degrees). His hot side temps usually stay 88-90 degrees. I always check his underbelly for mites, and nope, still none. His skin is both dull and his stomach is pink. Last night, I put paper to cover his terrarium sides to make it feel more secure. Do you think it might help?
    My advice is to use the 75 watt bulb and put it on a dimmer. Not only will your bulb last much longer, you can control how much output is coming thru the bulb. You did say you have a temp gun correct? Definitely get yourself a dimmer switch.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Traceur (10-12-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast