Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,368

0 members and 3,368 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Python killed guy?

I would think it wouldn't be that easy for a python that size to kill someone. What type of python is that? Do you think this is fake?

Ghanaian man strangled to death by his pet python (Video) https://www.newsbreakapp.com/n/0GN4t...a4&pd=95303471

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Knowell; 10-08-2018 at 05:24 AM.

1.0 banana bee
    0.1 butter pastel
    0.1 pastel
    0.1 mojave het clown
    1.2 DH albino pied
    0.1 OD YB pastel
    1.0 nuclear (butter,fire)
    0.1 lavender albino het pied
    1.1 enchi clown / clown
    0.1 superfly sugar
    1.0 freeway

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Knowell For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-08-2018)

Thanks
    This is why I hate that most of the time when a snake is in the media it is simply referred to as a "python". What type of python?? There's a huge difference (literally) between ball pythons, reticulated pythons, burmese pythons, rock pythons, carpet pythons, green tree pythons, etc. This is why so many people freak out when I mention that I have a ball python.

Also, it's never a good idea to operate any kind of vehicle with a snake wrapped around your neck.
    Last edited by Kira; 10-08-2018 at 05:37 AM.
    Winry-Pastel Vanilla BP

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kira For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-08-2018),Craiga 01453 (10-08-2018),Dianne (10-08-2018),Knowell (10-08-2018),MissterDog (10-08-2018),redshepherd (10-08-2018)

Thanks

Re: Python killed guy?

I agree they should have noted the type of python and the mistakes made leading to his demise. Smdh....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Knowell; 10-08-2018 at 05:42 AM.

1.0 banana bee
    0.1 butter pastel
    0.1 pastel
    0.1 mojave het clown
    1.2 DH albino pied
    0.1 OD YB pastel
    1.0 nuclear (butter,fire)
    0.1 lavender albino het pied
    1.1 enchi clown / clown
    0.1 superfly sugar
    1.0 freeway

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I couldn't read the article without downloading the app.

But I saw some of the comments...ugggh.

"Snakes are target practice not pets" was one of them...
    Ignorance is bliss...or so they say.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

The article is poorly written. If I had to guess, and the death was investigated properly, he died from something else and the snake stayed with his owner "a friendly smell and face" and got blamed by an onlooker who wrote this without doing proper research. Even as large as Rainbow is, I am strong enough to get her off of me. She is bigger than the one in the photo.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-08-2018),Craiga 01453 (10-08-2018),Godzilla78 (10-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    I absolutely believe a snake that size could kill someone if it happens to constrict around the neck.

It only takes about 8 to 14 seconds to pass out if the carotid artery is compressed. Snakes are pure muscle and the pressure inside the coils of a constriction can be incredibly intense. Especially if a snake means business, for whichever reason (usually food)

What is unusual is that the snake would be around the neck AND constricting. Unless the guy was so stupid to carry a large python around the neck and for some reason the animal went into food mode, bit him and started to constrict instinctual.

Either way, if you have a snake around your neck, even just a 7 or 8 footer, and it constricts in the right area, you could easily pass out before you could get it off. Esp. once panic sets in. They aren't all that easy to unwrap either, once they throw a coil or two, unless you get a good hold of the tail and unwrap from there. If you only have seconds, and its a big snake that happens to constrict your neck, that may be difficult to do. After that, if the snake happens to hold the coil for a couple to few minutes, lights out!

So who knows, there is obviously some kind of back story to this, most likely to do with stupidity in some form or another.

Fact remains, a large constrictor can kill you faster then a venomous snake. They deserve respect and responsible keeping and handling. They are magnificent animals and deserve that much.
    Last edited by zina10; 10-08-2018 at 08:57 AM.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupČry

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (10-08-2018),Bogertophis (10-08-2018),Craiga 01453 (10-08-2018),EL-Ziggy (10-08-2018),Godzilla78 (10-08-2018),Sonny1318 (10-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

I agree they do deserve proper respect. He was very foolish to her it around his neck. I think his stupidity went much further than that though. Everyone who spends time with my animals when I show them know not to put them around their neck and if I see them doing this I correct them. Teaching people good practices is key to keep stupid from happening. Another thing I tell people, don't put your hand in their face. I give the kids the example of putting my hand in their face and they back up. Then tell them that they will either bite or back away and don't enjoy it either way. Education education education combined with good practices is key to staying safe.

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    I absolutely believe a snake that size could kill someone if it happens to constrict around the neck.

It only takes about 8 to 14 seconds to pass out if the carotid artery is compressed. Snakes are pure muscle and the pressure inside the coils of a constriction can be incredibly intense. Especially if a snake means business, for whichever reason (usually food)

What is unusual is that the snake would be around the neck AND constricting. Unless the guy was so stupid to carry a large python around the neck and for some reason the animal went into food mode, bit him and started to constrict instinctual.

Either way, if you have a snake around your neck, even just a 7 or 8 footer, and it constricts in the right area, you could easily pass out before you could get it off. Esp. once panic sets in. They aren't all that easy to unwrap either, once they throw a coil or two, unless you get a good hold of the tail and unwrap from there. If you only have seconds, and its a big snake that happens to constrict your neck, that may be difficult to do. After that, if the snake happens to hold the coil for a couple to few minutes, lights out!

So who knows, there is obviously some kind of back story to this, most likely to do with stupidity in some form or another.

Fact remains, a large constrictor can kill you faster then a venomous snake. They deserve respect and responsible keeping and handling. They are magnificent animals and deserve that much.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-08-2018),zina10 (10-08-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post

Very true. I cant remember the exact numbers, but the staff at N.E.R.D., along with a team of scientists, did testing on the construction strength of large pythons for a documentary. The results were incredible!!!

I know that my BP can put a pretty good squeeze on my neck, and he's not quite 1000 grams. So there's no doubt in my mind a 7 or 8 footer could kill an adult man. Especially if there was alcohol or drugs in play that slow the heart rate already. I'm not implying that's the case, but if he was at a party....

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

zina10 (10-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    Snakes don’t belong around necks.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (10-08-2018),Bogertophis (10-08-2018)

Thanks
    Looks like a juvenile Rock python? Not sure though. This story is lacking some serious detail.... I hate that stuff with such little research effort is allowed to be passed off as journalism.

Based on the pictures, video, and the details given... seems like the guy had it around his neck while he was riding a motorcyle, then he wrecked, the snake tightened out of fear.... and the guy passed out and no one helped him because they were scared of getting bit. Of course the snake was on the defense - he'd just been in an accident. Also, who knows whether the snake actually was the sole cause of death.... this guy just had a wreck and could have sustained additional internal injuries.

That said, I do believe a snake that size COULD kill someone; however, as evidenced by this event, it would be largely due to "user error," if you will. A responsible owner wouldn't allow a snake of that size to be coiled around his neck so many times seemingly with no other anchor. Non the less while you're riding a motorcycle and can't easily intervene if something goes awry.

Drape a snake across your shoulders, sure, but always make sure you have two hands on its body supporting the snake elsewhere so you can prevent wrapping. And the handling of a snake this size should always be your focus, not an afterthought while you multitask.
    Last edited by alittleFREE; 10-08-2018 at 11:59 AM.

- Summer

0.1 Bearded Dragon ("Reka")
    0.1 California Kingsnake ("Cleo")
    0.1 Cinnamon Spider Het. Albino Ball Python ("Syd")
    1.0 Hypo Bredl’s Python (“Oz”)

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alittleFREE For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (10-08-2018),Bogertophis (10-08-2018),zina10 (10-08-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast