Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,463

1 members and 2,462 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,571
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 9,720 Times in 3,871 Posts

Re: Yafe - Albino Carpet Progression Thread

All I can do now is administer the medication as prescribed, keep him at proper temps and humidity, and hope for the best.

I will continue to keep everyone in the loop.

Regarding the breeder. I knew the company was based in Europe, but I was also under the impression that the US Division essentially was a separate entity. I had no idea if there was a problem I would have to deal with Europe and they would override the guy I had been dealing with and had a good experience with so far.

Obviously I am not pleased about his condition and don't know how well he was before he left. I agree that he definitely needed a vet visit in the state he was in. Bumping temps was not going to solve this.

Depending on how this is resolved, I will speak about the breeder and the experience. I am not one to bad mouth people, certainly until all the facts are in, but I do not want someone else having the same problem either. I am a little torn here. There was a delay with fedex, etc. However, I spent 7 hours back and forth with FedEx to make sure he got here the day he was supposed to (12 hours late, but better than 24). I usually deal with small breeders. However, the reputation of the breeder was solid, I did not understand the intricacies of the business model, and the animals are stunning. I also had a good experience picking the animal and discussing the animal with the US person. He seemed to know the animals very well and was very responsive. I had also been looking at a much more expensive animal with more genetic traits, but was told if it was just a pet, to consider a few others that I might find equally appealing, but weren't genetic powerhouses. Because of all this, I felt okay buying from them.

Regarding the heat pack. I understand that too hot is worse than cold. I've preached it many times here. Fine line between a little hot and neurological issues and death. Cold, there is more leeway, even if it's not ideal for digestion. However, max temps were 75F in both locations, lows were upper 40's to low 50's, and who knows what the temps not the plane were. Further, I assumed he was being sent with a heat pack and was told after the fact, after the delay, that he had not been. I would have liked to have been involved in that conversation. I've had many reptiles sent to me, here in CT, in this type of climate, and they always came with a heat pack. Not saying that's right or wrong, but I was very surprised to learn there was not one. Further, the breeder in Europe agreed with me that he should have been sent with one.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-07-2018),richardhind1972 (10-08-2018)