Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,340

0 members and 3,340 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Is this okay? Pls help

Hey guys my ball python is around 4 months old, he has a heat hide and I recently added a humidity hide and ever since I haven’t seen him go into his heat one it’s been 3 days so I’m getting concerned.

I brought him out today and his body was colder than usual but he was acting like he always would. I did feed him a day before I put the hide in, he ate normally and I didn’t bother him at all when putting it in and for a few days later so he wouldn’t get stressed but I still haven’t seen him move out of there.

His humidity is always at around 70% or higher, his heat hide is at 85-90 and the cool side is around 75

I’m not sure if this is normal or not help is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I try not to worry TOO much when I don't see my snake in different hides because I have to presume they are moving during the night when I am asleep. As long as the temps are regulated and are reading within desired levels, you should be fine. With the humid hide it does add an extra bit of concern though because you don't want scale rot etc to become a potential issue. How do you have the humid hide set up?

If your humidity is that high in the cage, I personally don't really think you need a humid hide. If your humidity was 50% or something I would say go for it. But if it's consistently 70% in the cage that's already on the high side.

- Summer

0.1 Bearded Dragon ("Reka")
    0.1 California Kingsnake ("Cleo")
    0.1 Cinnamon Spider Het. Albino Ball Python ("Syd")
    1.0 Hypo Bredl’s Python (“Oz”)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alittleFREE For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-29-2018),Dorsa (09-29-2018)

Thanks

Re: Is this okay? Pls help

Quote Originally Posted by alittleFREE View Post
    I try not to worry TOO much when I don't see my snake in different hides because I have to presume they are moving during the night when I am asleep. As long as the temps are regulated and are reading within desired levels, you should be fine. With the humid hide it does add an extra bit of concern though because you don't want scale rot etc to become a potential issue. How do you have the humid hide set up?

If your humidity is that high in the cage, I personally don't really think you need a humid hide. If your humidity was 50% or something I would say go for it. But if it's consistently 70% in the cage that's already on the high side.
    Thank you, his humid hide is an exo terra rock with sphagnum moss under, the moss isn’t soaked or anything I wet them a little before putting it in, I live in Canada so in the day time the humidity is consistently 70 but at night the air is very dry so it gets low sometimes around 40, from now on should I just put it in at night and take it out in the morning when I’m changing his water? I’m afraid if I move things around too much he’ll get very stressed out.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,841 Times in 11,853 Posts
    When is the last time he shed? Many snakes sense they're going into shed & prefer the cooler temps. during that time, so maybe that's why?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsa View Post
    Thank you, his humid hide is an exo terra rock with sphagnum moss under, the moss isn’t soaked or anything I wet them a little before putting it in, I live in Canada so in the day time the humidity is consistently 70 but at night the air is very dry so it gets low sometimes around 40, from now on should I just put it in at night and take it out in the morning when I’m changing his water? I’m afraid if I move things around too much he’ll get very stressed out.

I wouldn’t keep taking it out and putting it back in. Like you said, moving things around too much will just increase stress.

I would add a 3rd hide - one that is cool, but not humid. That way he can find security in the cooler temps without being forced to be humid as well. And if he wants the extra humidity, it’s there.

- Summer

0.1 Bearded Dragon ("Reka")
    0.1 California Kingsnake ("Cleo")
    0.1 Cinnamon Spider Het. Albino Ball Python ("Syd")
    1.0 Hypo Bredl’s Python (“Oz”)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alittleFREE For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-29-2018),Dorsa (09-29-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    When is the last time he shed? Many snakes sense they're going into shed & prefer the cooler temps. during that time, so maybe that's why?
    He shed around 3 weeks ago, it was a full shed

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alittleFREE View Post
    I wouldn’t keep taking it out and putting it back in. Like you said, moving things around too much will just increase stress.

I would add a 3rd hide - one that is cool, but not humid. That way he can find security in the cooler temps without being forced to be humid as well. And if he wants the extra humidity, it’s there.

yes I agree, he has a log going all the way across his terrarium which he can get into so I guess I’d have to assume he goes in there at night, thank you so much!