Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,315

2 members and 3,313 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    Just personally, I would "error on the side of caution" if I were you...you can still SEE & ADMIRE hognose snakes, but there are SO many awesome snakes to
    keep, why not choose one that carries no extra risks? Just because no one has ever died from a hognose bite does NOT mean that's been 'tested' with anyone
    who is immune-suppressed. Sometimes the doctors just don't know what events can be set off.

Most doctors aren't that "into" reptiles & caution against them for the salmonella risks (posed mostly by turtles, not snakes). I'm pretty sure their answer to you
    keeping even a "mildly-venomous" snake would be "please don't", and on this, for your sake (& Katie's & your family's sake) I would agree.

It's up to you of course...this thread started out as a mission to talk you out of adding yet another snake, I think we've done our part, LOL!

Thanks

Re: When is enough, enough? One more addition?

I've had two bp's and one corn, though I only have the two bp's now. The corn was my first, then a bp a year after. Last year I lost my juvenile corn to a latent infection I didn't catch in time, and it was hard. I didn't know if I could get another snake again, and focused on Pixel. Earlier this year I noticed a young bp in the store I bought my f/t feeders from, and watched him for several weeks. Something about him seemed "right," and I talked to the staff about him, his history and health, and I brought him home last month. I know I want one last bp, but I'm putting that on hold until I feel I have my husbandry and balance for my two snakes down to a second-nature.
    The most important thing is being honest with yourself and the other people involved with this decision, and it seems you have been. You're both in harmony with this choice, so it's yours to freely make or not make. The fact that you worry so much about being the best pet parent you can be means you already are. Whatever you choose, I think you're making the right choice.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tessellate For This Useful Post:

dakski (09-26-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Just personally, I would "error on the side of caution" if I were you...you can still SEE & ADMIRE hognose snakes, but there are SO many awesome snakes to
    keep, why not choose one that carries no extra risks? Just because no one has ever died from a hognose bite does NOT mean that's been 'tested' with anyone
    who is immune-suppressed. Sometimes the doctors just don't know what events can be set off.

Most doctors aren't that "into" reptiles & caution against them for the salmonella risks (posed mostly by turtles, not snakes). I'm pretty sure their answer to you
    keeping even a "mildly-venomous" snake would be "please don't", and on this, for your sake (& Katie's & your family's sake) I would agree.

It's up to you of course...this thread started out as a mission to talk you out of adding yet another snake, I think we've done our part, LOL!
    I appreciate this Bogertophis. I know you are coming from a good place and it means a lot.

I am also considering a smaller milk snake; I know a fairly local breeder with some killer animals. That was originally my first choice, but a small, cute, little hoggie seemed to fit the bill pretty well.

I may still do nothing.

You guys have got me worried about the hognose saliva though. Last thing I need is another complication even if the risk is incredibly low.

Ahhhh, decisions, decisions.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-26-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I have become buddies with Don Soderberg, from South Mountain Reptiles, and Solana's breeder. He has experience with hognose snakes and milk snakes.

He said to absolutely stay away from a hognose being immune suppressed. He loves hoggies, but says they are not for me and, "I urge you to get over that URGE."

So, Wilbur is out. Sad, but it's a small sacrifice for being alive and able to enjoy my wonderful family; Katie, 5 wonderful dogs, and 9 wonderful reptiles.

Don also pointed out that I am spoiled by awesome tempered critters when it comes to snakes. Behira (BCI) has the best personality and aside from a ravage food response, is a total puppy dog. I have Shayna, the Albino Spider BP that I always wanted (an albino BP), and two awesome, but totally different looking, and personality wise, corn snakes. Both are sweeties, but I am convinced that Figment has ADHD. Solana is part Boa, I believe.

He said I will probably be disappointed in a milk snake from a temperament standpoint, aside from the big ones which he loves, the Costa Rican Milk Snake, AKA Black Milk Snake. I've heard mixed things on here as well, and although a hognose would be a great pet, it's now out.

Don's bred numerous different species, although he's a corn expert, and has yet to steer me wrong. His information usually checks out pretty good.

Any other ideas? LOL! Another corn???????

Should I just enjoy what I have?

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

alittleFREE (09-26-2018),Bogertophis (09-26-2018),Craiga 01453 (09-27-2018),Reinz (09-27-2018),richardhind1972 (09-27-2018),Tessellate (09-27-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    I have become buddies with Don Soderberg, from South Mountain Reptiles, and Solana's breeder. He has experience with hognose snakes and milk snakes.

He said to absolutely stay away from a hognose being immune suppressed. He loves hoggies, but says they are not for me and, "I urge you to get over that URGE."

So, Wilbur is out. Sad, but it's a small sacrifice for being alive and able to enjoy my wonderful family; Katie, 5 wonderful dogs, and 9 wonderful reptiles.

Don also pointed out that I am spoiled by awesome tempered critters when it comes to snakes. Behira (BCI) has the best personality and aside from a ravage food response, is a total puppy dog. I have Shayna, the Albino Spider BP that I always wanted (an albino BP), and two awesome, but totally different looking, and personality wise, corn snakes. Both are sweeties, but I am convinced that Figment has ADHD. Solana is part Boa, I believe.

He said I will probably be disappointed in a milk snake from a temperament standpoint, aside from the big ones which he loves, the Costa Rican Milk Snake, AKA Black Milk Snake. I've heard mixed things on here as well, and although a hognose would be a great pet, it's now out.

Don's bred numerous different species, although he's a corn expert, and has yet to steer me wrong. His information usually checks out pretty good.

Enjoy what you have.

But... my cal king has an awesome personality and is super fun

- Summer

0.1 Bearded Dragon ("Reka")
    0.1 California Kingsnake ("Cleo")
    0.1 Cinnamon Spider Het. Albino Ball Python ("Syd")
    1.0 Hypo Bredl’s Python (“Oz”)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Hey there dakski! I dont know if you remember not to long ago I posted a thread talking about being "cut off" by my sufficient other in regards to getting any new snakes. Well...that didnt last to long and recently added 2 new
    snakes to my collection. Anyways, to comment on your question if you should get another snake, I would say if you have the room and you can take care of everyone equally then why not! You are passionate about your reptiles like the majority of us here and so adding a hognose snake would be a win win!

Hognose snakes are full character and very chill for the most part. I love my little guy to pieces because he stands out apart from the others I have. Just make sure he is started off well with eating his mice. So what ever you decide, please keep us posted of your decision. But i promise you that there will be no regrets getting one of these cuties if you go in that direction.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post

I'm SO glad that you got Don's opinion on keeping a hognose snake. I've kept them before (also a black & yellow giant Madagascar hognose) with never a bite, but
    YOU don't want to chance that...it's just not worth it. I agree about milk snakes too...they're so pretty but not very personable- they're very nervous snakes that are
    seldom great to interact with. (It all depends on what a person wants, of course. I'm like you, I like snakes to interact with.)

I know what snakes appeal to me but half the fun of getting a new snake is in the research. That's if you still want to add one. And there's nothing wrong with even
    another corn snake...personally, I'd get an Abbotts.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (09-26-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Dakski, I’m glad that you dug a little deeper into the Hognose and relieved at your decision.

Best of luck searching for the next snake!
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

dakski (09-27-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

I've got some great 'Hoggie bite' photos .... somewhere!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-27-2018),dakski (09-27-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    As much as I think you'd love a hognose, your health obviously needs to come first. Good call, Dave.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-27-2018),dakski (09-27-2018)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast