Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,971

2 members and 1,969 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Finally got my first noodle!

Hey everyone. I got myself my first ball python finally. I've always wanted one but just never went through with it. I found a super sweet female. I think she's just reg normal but I'm a noob so I'm not sure. I'm just working on getting the husbandry all dialed in now. She was admittedly neglected as the owner went to college and she was left with the parents. The setup she came with had great hides but there was no other source of heat other than a bulb. The first night was only 65 degrees and less than 30% humidity. I got some heat pads and have her warm hide at 89-91 and the cold side was 79 with humidity at 50-60%. I'm still playing around seeing how everything reacts. She's a lot more active now that she's not freezing. They were feeding her 3 live feeder mice every 10 days. I fed her 3 on Thursday and she eats like a champ even being in shed. I'm sure she's way past ready to step up to bigger prey but I'll worry about that later. I don't want to change to much at once. She seems to be settling in great and is always easy to handle and goes exploring when I put her down. The only real concern I have now is that I got her on Tuesday and she was already shedding and she still has the eye caps. I've been trying to keep the humidity higher and spray her with warm water a few times a day to hopefully help with that. It came off in pieces and se's got a bit stuck in a couple spots behind her head. Everything else looks new and those bits and the eyes are all that's left but I thought the whole process was only supposed to take a few days. Any advice with that would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Helonwheelz383; 09-22-2018 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Spelling

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Helonwheelz383 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-22-2018),SMTHook (09-22-2018)

Thanks
    Sweet. Pics are a must and thermostat is a must but more experienced BP people will give you more advice.

Thanks

Re: Finally got my first noodle!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Helonwheelz383 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-22-2018),Ronniex2 (09-27-2018)

Thanks

Had to cover the screen almost completely to get the humidity to climb. She likes to leave her head poking out of the hide now. It seems like it just her getting more comfortable.

Thanks
    Get the lamp on a thermostat. That looks like a UTH on the side. I don't know if I'd use both. I use a lamp in the winter and the UTH in the summer. To raise humidity add another water dish. I'd completely clean that enclosure from top to bottom with new substrate. Disinfect all the furniture. I use a tub with holes drilled in it for mine to hang out while I'm cleaning. Noodle looks good. Congrats.
    Last edited by SMTHook; 09-22-2018 at 04:57 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SMTHook For This Useful Post:

Helonwheelz383 (09-28-2018)

Thanks

Thanks. Still working on a name but I'm leaning towards Medusa. With only the lamp I can't get the hot side above low to mid 70's. The basement is on the chilly side and it's a pretty small heater. With both going I get a reading of around 89 or 90 with a probe inside the hide on the hot side. I definitely have some experimenting to do though. Next on the list is a thermostat for sure.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,720 Times in 3,871 Posts

Get a thermostat, yesterday. Preferably one that can run both heating elements, otherwise, you will need two thermostats. ALL HEATING ELEMENTS MUST BE REGULATED BY THERMOSTAT!

What are you feeding your BP and how much does he/she weigh?

That looks like a small meal IMO.

Please let us know about food items, weight, and if you have questions on which thermostat to get.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-22-2018),Helonwheelz383 (09-28-2018)

Thanks
    Try buying some foam panels from a hardware store. We have my boy in a cold basement too, we had to add the foam on 3 1/2 sides to keep the heat in. Also keeps them feeling more secure! You should be able to get a massive piece of foam to cut to size for less than $10.

And if money is an issue, a dimmer is also totally fine for the lamp. You should be able to buy them cheap from a hardware store. But a thermostat for the UTH is a must. We have to use both as well- the lamp and UTH. However, it looks like you have the UTH stuck to the side of the tub- that could be part of your problem. When you get it hooked up to a thermostat, I would place it under the tank, it helps distribute heat better!

If you are still having trouble keeping the heat up, you can use foil on the lid instead of cardboard and then place the lamp right on the metal mesh. The few inches it hovers can really lose a ton of heat.

Q: how are you currently measuring temps?

Also, re: food. It's better to feed one large meal than 3 small ones. Rats are also a better full nutrition for BPs!
    Last edited by sufficio; 09-22-2018 at 05:58 PM.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sufficio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-22-2018),Godzilla78 (09-23-2018),Helonwheelz383 (09-28-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,720 Times in 3,871 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sufficio View Post
    Try buying some foam panels from a hardware store. We have my boy in a cold basement too, we had to add the foam on 3 1/2 sides to keep the heat in. Also keeps them feeling more secure! You should be able to get a massive piece of foam to cut to size for less than $10.

And if money is an issue, a dimmer is also totally fine for the lamp. You should be able to buy them cheap from a hardware store. But a thermostat for the UTH is a must. We have to use both as well- the lamp and UTH. However, it looks like you have the UTH stuck to the side of the tub- that could be part of your problem. When you get it hooked up to a thermostat, I would place it under the tank, it helps distribute heat better!

If you are still having trouble keeping the heat up, you can use foil on the lid instead of cardboard and then place the lamp right on the metal mesh. The few inches it hovers can really lose a ton of heat.

Q: how are you currently measuring temps?

Also, re: food. It's better to feed one large meal than 3 small ones. Rats are also a better full nutrition for BPs!

Good point one measuring temps - use a temp gun for proper ground temps.

I think a dimmer is okay as a backup in case a thermostat fails, but I would still put the heat lamp on one as well.

UTH's go under the tank, hence the name. They do now warm the air, only create a hot spot. The lamp will help raise cage temps and help with ambient heat as well.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Helonwheelz383 (09-28-2018),sufficio (09-22-2018)

Thanks
    The foil is a great idea. I'll try that. I've been measuring it with a dvom that I have a temp probe (thermocouple) that I stick in the substrate. It's been better than nothing but I'll be getting something more permanent. There are two of those small heaters. One is right under the tank under the hide and the other one is on the back. I was hoping the one on the back would help a bit with ambient air temp bit it doesn't do much if anything at all. Its definitely a work in progress but I'm confident we're moving in the right direction. I'll go get a thermostat tonight to control everything. I haven't weighed her yet but I'm working on getting a scale. I'm sure the mice are too small but she pounded three of em. I definitely want to get her feeding figured out but decided to wait since she's had absolutely everything changed this week. Seems to be handling everything extremely well though. It's almost like she can tell I'm trying to help her out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast