Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,318

1 members and 3,317 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Cage height for Nic boa?

Hey guys! I'm about to finalize my order for my Nic boa's forever home. I've decided on a 4x2 cage, but I'm stuck on what height to go with.

Originally I intended to splurge for a taller 16" one, but after seeing the price difference compared to the 12" I'm hesitating. It's $600 CDN shipped for the 16" and a bit less than $500 for the 12", so a pretty hefty difference, due to shipping and having to go with a bigger RHP for the 16".

I'd appreciate some opinions on this? I really would've gone straight for the taller cage but $600 is a lot more than I'd anticipated. I know boas - especially locality ones - tend to climb, but could my guy be okay in a foot-tall cage? As much as I want the best for him I do have to watch my finances. He's a male Nic which shouldn't get too big.... I'd feel horrible if I were depriving him of a major natural behaviour, though, so if it's really necessary I suppose I can bite the bullet.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,861 Times in 4,780 Posts
    IMO a 12" height is too short for a 24" deep enclosure; it can make reaching into the back corners to clean rather difficult. I would get the taller one. That will also give you the option of putting a low hide or perch under the RHP so your boa can either be under the hide or behind the perch and warm, or it can bask on the hide/perch and be quite warm if needed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

caravaggiooo (09-20-2018)

Thanks

Re: Cage height for Nic boa?

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    IMO a 12" height is too short for a 24" deep enclosure; it can make reaching into the back corners to clean rather difficult. I would get the taller one. That will also give you the option of putting a low hide or perch under the RHP so your boa can either be under the hide or behind the perch and warm, or it can bask on the hide/perch and be quite warm if needed.
    I kind of forgot about the cleaning aspect, that seems to be one of the major reasons the taller enclosures are suggested now that I think about it? I was intending to make some sort of perch too, I guess a 12" might be too short for that?

One of my problems is that this is my very first PVC cage purchase, so I've literally never seen one in person before - it's hard for me to picture what's practical or not.

I think the initial shock of seeing that price tag is wearing off a bit, I'm beginning to wrap my head around the $600

Thanks
    Thanked 9,861 Times in 4,780 Posts
    Look at it this way - your boa could easily live for 20 years or even longer. When you work out the price difference over that long a time, it's a few cents a month of cost extra over your boa's lifespan for an enclosure that is easier for you to maintain.

I hear you on the cost - I am the queen of couponing and I have Ramen in my desk at work for lunches.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (09-21-2018),caravaggiooo (09-21-2018)

Thanks

Re: Cage height for Nic boa?

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Look at it this way - your boa could easily live for 20 years or even longer. When you work out the price difference over that long a time, it's a few cents a month of cost extra over your boa's lifespan for an enclosure that is easier for you to maintain.

I hear you on the cost - I am the queen of couponing and I have Ramen in my desk at work for lunches.
    That's very true, it's much easier to think of it that way. Thanks a lot for your input I'll definitely be saving in other areas of my life for a while after this purchase, haha.