Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,260

1 members and 3,259 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: heating a giant glass tank for multiple snakes?

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    I'm all for glass, have used glass since 1999-2000ish with no problems. I was thinking more of the dimensions. Although it's huge, there's a lot of height vs not a lot of floir space.
    I see what you mean. If he only cut in half would be ok for adults but 1/4 is to small for an adult BP

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-20-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Yeah, it's tough to tell the dimensions, but with an adult male in the pic a it kinda works for scale.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts

I'm all for glass, have used glass since 1999-2000ish with no problems. I was thinking more of the dimensions. Although it's huge, there's a lot of height vs not a lot of floir space.
    I agree this is not ideal...maybe if it was divided into only TWO enclosures, but not four...because it appears each is mostly square, so it's hard to provide a warm end
    and a cool end for the snake to have necessary choices. Also the height gives you the impression of space but it's fairly useless for terrestrial snakes like BPs...they need
    horizontal room, & if you went with over-head heating using an RHP, I'm not sure how well that would reach the floor. This is an intriguing pick-up but far from ideal for
    the stated purpose. If you decide to keep it, there are other creatures (like geckos) that it would work much better for, or even corn snakes & others that climb & don't
    need the higher warmth & humidity like BPs do.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-20-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    If you decide to keep it, there are other creatures (like geckos) that it would work much better for, or even corn snakes & others that climb & don't
    I was actually thinking this too. It would be super cool yo have each quadrant housing something different. Like cresties in one, garters in another, whites tree frogs, dart frogs, all sorts of geckos, skinks, etc...are options.
    That would actually be super cool and now I want one!!!! Hahahahaha!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-20-2018)

Thanks

I was actually thinking this too. It would be super cool yo have each quadrant housing something different. Like cresties in one, garters in another, whites tree frogs, dart frogs, all sorts of geckos, skinks, etc...are options.
    That would actually be super cool and now I want one!!!! Hahahahaha!!
    YESSSSS! And it would make a beautiful focal point in your living room, or better yet, MINE!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (09-20-2018),Craiga 01453 (09-20-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I agree that 1/4 of that is too small for an adult; 1/2 is better.

You don’t need to use “belly heat”. Heat from above is fine, and it will create “belly heat” on the ground under the heat source, just like the sun does. If you divide that into two enclosures and you use two CHE’s, you could either have them at the same end or at opposite ends; which you choose would depend on how cold the room is. If they’re on opposite ends, the cool side of each enclosure will be warmed some by the CHE on the adjacent one, which is probably a pretty good way of getting an appropriate gradient if the room is cooler. If the room is warmer, you probably want both CHE’s on the same end (they won’t need to be run at as high power) so that the cool end gets cool enough. You won’t be able to insulate the glass sides the way people often do with regular tanks, but the shape should make that somewhat less necessary.
    You will have to figure out how much of the screen tops need to be covered over to retain humidity. But deeper substrate (such as 3” deep coco husk) will help a lot with that.

Lastly, you will need to put lots of decor in there - real or fake plants, branches, platforms, tubes/tunnels, and lots of hides. The reason is that the enclosures will be pretty exposed and in the middle of the room and at a height that means people looming over them. That’s a recipe for snakes to feel insecure, nervous, and stressed out if they don’t have enough cover and hiding places. Being able to lurk in some leaves, even if they’re not completely hidden or invisible, makes a big difference.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Coluber42 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-20-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I agree this is not ideal...maybe if it was divided into only TWO enclosures, but not four...because it appears each is mostly square, so it's hard to provide a warm end
    and a cool end for the snake to have necessary choices. Also the height gives you the impression of space but it's fairly useless for terrestrial snakes like BPs...they need
    horizontal room, & if you went with over-head heating using an RHP, I'm not sure how well that would reach the floor. This is an intriguing pick-up but far from ideal for
    the stated purpose. If you decide to keep it, there are other creatures (like geckos) that it would work much better for, or even corn snakes & others that climb & don't

Agreed that they need horizontal space. Vertical space is a good thing to have, but it’s not much use unless you provide ways for the snake to use it. Platforms are great; they can be free-standing on the floor, they don’t have to be attached to the walls. They create more places the snake can go, more places to put hides, and more ways to access different temperature and humidity zones. Ball pythons will definitely make use of branches and other stuff to climb, too. Yes, they’re terrestrial, but we’re talking about stuff that’s two feet high for an animal that’s four feet long. If the snake has never had stuff like that in its cage before, it might take a long time before you ever see it making use of it. But it’s there for when the animal wants it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Coluber42 View Post
    Agreed that they need horizontal space. Vertical space is a good thing to have, but it’s not much use unless you provide ways for the snake to use it. Platforms are great; they can be free-standing on the floor, they don’t have to be attached to the walls. They create more places the snake can go, more places to put hides, and more ways to access different temperature and humidity zones. Ball pythons will definitely make use of branches and other stuff to climb, too. Yes, they’re terrestrial, but we’re talking about stuff that’s two feet high for an animal that’s four feet long. If the snake has never had stuff like that in its cage before, it might take a long time before you ever see it making use of it. But it’s there for when the animal wants it.
    That's true...and I'm a big fan of wedging branches or driftwood into my cages for snakes to climb around on...but just saying that more floor space would be ideal-
    especially as the BPs grow in size, these will be very "crowded" cubicles. Then again, maybe the BPs will like that?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

That's true...and I'm a big fan of wedging branches or driftwood into my cages for snakes to climb around on...but just saying that more floor space would be ideal-
    especially as the BPs grow in size, these will be very "crowded" cubicles. Then again, maybe the BPs will like that?
    Yeah, I'm still assuming that this will house two BP's and not four. Cluttered (appropriate clutter) is good, and making the best possible use of available height is good, but it's not a substitute for having sufficient floor space.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Coluber42 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-20-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12