Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,337

4 members and 3,333 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Baby Sozo, Ball Python Rescue...

Greetings all,

First let me say what an awesome forum this is. I have learned so much from the knowledge you all have shared on these forums. Thank you for allowing me to join.

A little over a week ago, I was talking with a friend about snakes when someone else spoke up and said "if you want another ball python, I've got one I'll sell you". Peeking my interest, I inquired further and he told me, "I recently got her for my kids, but they've already lost interest in her, so I'm just trying to find her a new home. I'll sell her to you for $140, enclosure and all". About the only info on the snake he could tell me was that she is a female, and she is small, and she's "great with the kids". I thought to myself, "why not". A few days later, I drove about an hour to pick up my new little friend, sight unseen. Here is what I found...

[IMG]IMG_3138.JPG[/IMG]

Just prior to seeing her for the first time, my friend said "she's shedding, so she doesn't look her best". While holding her, and my heart dropping, he tells me "the kids hold her all the time, she's never tried to bite anyone. Also, she is a picky eater, so you may have to work with her some". I'm thinking to myself "I wonder if she's ever eaten at all?" I asked her age and he said "she's about 2 months old". Knowing I could leave her in this condition, I quickly paid my friend, took my new little friend and ran. Now let me be clear, I don't believe that my friend (with whom I am not very close, maybe I should say acquaintance) meant any harm. I don't think he had any idea how malnourished and dehydrated this little lady is. Nor did he even know that this was not a normal shed. I believe this was not abuse from the standpoint of an intent to cause harm. This was a poorly cared for animal due to ignorance.

Well, I got her home and she weighed in at a whopping 46 grams (no thats not a typo). We have since eaten 2 F/T pinkie mice (assist fed) 5 days apart. She has soaked and gotten rid of her stuck shed. I am afraid she is blind, at least in her right eye, due to issues from her stuck shed and dehydration. Her left eye seems to have scarring, but the right seems sunken and hazed. Anyway, this is her about a week after coming to be with me...

[IMG]IMG_3158.JPG[/IMG]
    [IMG]IMG_3168.HEIC[/IMG]
    [IMG]IMG_3167.HEIC[/IMG]

So, any comments, questions, guidance, or knowledge you all would be willing to send my way would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping for the best for this little lady. I've named her Sozo, which is Greek for "Rescue".

2. The Following User Says Thank You to callen727 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-14-2018)

Thanks

Exclamation Re: Baby Sozo, Ball Python Rescue...

My apologies, I am new to this site, and forums, and wasn't able to upload pictures to to this post correctly. I will try again later today as I have run out of time this morning.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to callen727 For This Useful Post:

Reptilius (09-14-2018)

Thanks
    While I may be first to chime in, I’m sure you will get the best guidance once ppl wake up this lovely Friday morning.. But thank you. I appreciate you even taking on that responsibility and saving that animal from that horrible condition. While your friend needs some advice on what pets are best for his/her kids, I’m sure a BP was not at the top of the list… I do wish you the best of luck tho

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by callen727 View Post
    My apologies, I am new to this site, and forums, and wasn't able to upload pictures to to this post correctly. I will try again later today as I have run out of time this morning.
    "taptalk" .. its an app you can download on your smart phone

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Baby Sozo, Ball Python Rescue...

@ callen727, Kudos to you.

You have taken on a great responsibility.
    Although blind, and I would take her to a vet to confirm this.
    She will be able to feed fine, just don't feed her live prey.

Having deteriorated as much as you say she has, (waiting to see pics), don't expect a sudden miraculous change in condition.
    It will take a while.

For now, get her covered by the basics, make her comfortable, and let the healing process take its course.

Again I say, Well Done.
    keep us posted regularly please.
    Ball Pythons
    1.0 Pinstripe
    1.0 Coral Glow Pastel
    1.0 Ginger Enchi
    1.0 Spectre
    1.0 BlackPastel Yellowbelly
    1.0 Albino
    1.0 Fire
    1.0 Enchi Mojave
    1.0 Enchi
    1.0 Calico
    1.0 Leopard
    0.1 Mojave Spider
    0.1 Butter
    0.2 Fire
    0.1 Yellow Belly
    0.2 Pastel
    0.3 Normal
    0.1 Bumblebee
    0.1 Mystic
    0.1 Enchi
    0.1 Pinstripe 66% het Pied
    0.1 Leopard

Other Pythons
    1.0 Carpet Pythons

BOAS
    1.1 Dumerils
    2.2 Red Tail

Corns
    1.2 Amel

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Reptilius For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-14-2018)

Thanks

My apologies, but I have not figured out how to post photos on a thread. Seems, like it should be easy, but I imagine here we are dealing with a serious case of user error.
    Pictures of Sozo can be seen by looking at the galleries under the same heading, or by looking at my profile. I'll keep trying...

-C.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

My first ball was also intended as a purchase, but was much the same circumstances as your girl...malnourished, retained shed, dimpled eyes, just overall poor condition. I couldn’t leave him even though I had doubts I could save him. I would recommend a trip to the vet, even though much of her recovery is going to take time and patience. In my case, the dimpled eyes were dehydration and lack of humidity in his environment. With regular feeding, correct temperatures, and boosted humidity, he made a full recovery. That was 26 years ago.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts
    OP, the easiest way to load pics is to download the free app Tapatalk and link it to this forum. Then you can update your thread and add pictures super-easy from your phone or tablet. That's the easiest way most of us have found for uploading pictures.

Without pics, it's hard to say for sure - but the stats sound shocking. Her eye or eyes may not be blind, but may just be a blend of dehydration and stuck shed, so don't give up on them just yet. Again, pics will be more illuminating on what's going on.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for taking a sweet girl out of a bad situation. The members here will do all they can to help you get her healthy.

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to hilabeans For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    Welcome to the forum, callen727....you've got a lot of heart to rescue this unfortunate snake, & we'll do all we can to help you get her healthy & up to speed.
    I WISH people wouldn't buy live "toys" for their children.... -so ignorant & so sad.

Thanks

My goodness that is one terrible stuck shed! Maybe several built up over time...? She looks a lot better now that shes cleaned up, though pretty thin. I can't see her eye very well in these photos but I would wait to see what some humidity and hydration does before you write it off entirely. Kudos to you for giving her a good knowledgable home, it seems like you already have her on a better track than where she was.

Here, I'll post the images from your gallery so everyone can see easily.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Trisnake; 09-15-2018 at 12:00 PM.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trisnake For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-15-2018),Slicercrush (09-15-2018),SMTHook (09-15-2018),tttaylorrr (09-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    That first picture just broke my heart! How could anyone let a snake get like that? Very thin & as already mentioned, wait & see about the eyes, it may just
    be a hydration/humidity issue...I really hope so. Poor thing really needs good nutrition & TLC...but a nice looking snake under all that old shed.

"Sozo" is a wonderful name for her!
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-15-2018 at 12:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast