Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,192

0 members and 3,192 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

*sigh* First shed.

So my first shed came out rather wonky, She did manage to finally get that bit of bad shed off her head and is shedding now but in pieces*crying*. I have a couple questions.

1. There is ALWAYS fresh water around.
    2. I try to mist and keep humidity at about 60 all the time but it never drops below 50(ambient in my area and room) I have been trying to keep it at 70 during the shed this seems to have gone awry...

So the two main questions is, is a broken up shed from humidity? Also, is it normal for patches to feel rough and dry and look kind of wrinkly? its only in patches and does not look like its a dehydration issue.

Should I do a soak?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    If your shed is coming out broken or incompetent, your husbandry is off. What are you using to measure the humidity with? It sounds like not high enough humidity levels to me. After shed, they should shine with iridescence like glow. Hopefully this will help get you going in a better direction. Good luck.
    Last edited by Sonny1318; 09-08-2018 at 08:57 PM.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

VereMyth (09-08-2018)

Thanks

Re: *sigh* First shed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    If your shed is coming out broken or incompetent, your husbandry is off. What are you using to measure the humidity with? It sounds like not high enough humidity levels to me. After shed, they should shine with iridescence like glow. Hopefully this will help get you going in a better direction. Good luck.
    A fairly cheap digital combo meter,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hmm I will keep checking maybe I will lower the gauge a bit.

EDIT: THough it strikes me as weird maybe I have a very easy going BP, But she eats like a champ even during shed. Never had a problem feeding so I figured my humidity gauge was at good. Next paycheck Maybe I will try out the acurite one instead. *sigh* Love the little bugger she is >.<.
    Last edited by VereMyth; 09-08-2018 at 09:14 PM.

Thanks
    Update: So what I thought was wrinkly new skin appears to be me just panicking as she came to thermoregulate to the other cool side hide and I can see the snake shed and she has yet to shed that far Her new skin looks nice and shiny. I shall have some pictures when she comes out to go to the warm side sometime tonight.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    It's also important to remember that the new shed starts when the old one is shed.
    What I mean by that is, your husbandry has to be on point all the time. You can't just bump humidity when you see a pink belly or cloudy eyes and expect a one piece shed.

IMPORTANT: I'm not at all implying that was the case here, I'm just trying to help you moving forward. Also, if the snake has only been with you a short time, the husbandry prior to the snake coming to you will play a role in that shed.
    So, if this shed was a little off, but the snake hasn't been with you since the last shed, it's not on you. Plus, keep in mind the stress of shipping, a new environment, etc...

Sounds like your husbandry is solid, keep doing what you're doing and the next shed should be better.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Phillydubs (09-09-2018),Tessellate (09-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    What do you use for substrate ??

I find “misting” to be a waste of time and not helpful. It gives a quick boost to humidity and then dries out very fast.

I suggest a Poland spring sport bottle. I give a few light squirts around the enclosure and in the substrate. It really keeps the humidity up and steady. I do this quite often. Especially in shed and it always works so well
    1.0 - Cinnamon Banana Ball Python (Thunder)
    1.0 - Yellow Belly High White Pied Ball Python (Pretty Fly For A White Guy)
    0.1 - Cinnamon GHI Ball Python (Leslie Snipes)
    1.0 - Dumerils Boa (Sushi)
    0.1 - Caye Caulker Boa (Lady Liberty)
    0.0.? - Mandarin Rat Snake (Bumble)
    1.0 - Mexican Black King (Rico Suave)
    1.0 - Black Tail Cribo (Goldar)
    0.1 - Jaguar Carpet Python (Cookie)
    1.0 - Vietnamese Blue Beauty (Elsa)
    1.0 - Green Tree Python (Banner)
    0.2 - Yellow/Quince Monitors (Blanche & Dorothy)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: *sigh* First shed.

Quote Originally Posted by VereMyth View Post
    So my first shed came out rather wonky, She did manage to finally get that bit of bad shed off her head and is shedding now but in pieces*crying*. I have a couple questions.

1. There is ALWAYS fresh water around.
    2. I try to mist and keep humidity at about 60 all the time but it never drops below 50(ambient in my area and room) I have been trying to keep it at 70 during the shed this seems to have gone awry...

So the two main questions is, is a broken up shed from humidity? Also, is it normal for patches to feel rough and dry and look kind of wrinkly? its only in patches and does not look like its a dehydration issue.

Should I do a soak?
    I haven't read any of the replies above ...

Sooo.. as soon as mine go into shed mode I spray every morning THEN as soon as their eyes clear and colour returns I up the spraying to three times daily until the shedded skin is found 4 or more days later ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks for all the support guys and or girls, the shed was pretty bad(the old skin wise) But her newer skin looks pretty. I use repti-bark and I actually use a spray bottle meant for a bird lol xD(We have a military Macaw) that lives in the other room.

I really do want to see how my husbandry is for her next shed. Now that I know that I am not particularly at fault.... xD. The other reason is sheesh was that a nightmare to try and get out of the enclosure I nearly took her out and got a vacuum(slightly exaggerating). >.>