Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,288

0 members and 3,288 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Preventing mites?

I set up my baby ball pythons terrarium to help get rid of mites. His bedding is napkins. Both of his hides are small food containers with a napkin over them. I sprayed and whipped down his plastic bamboo sticks and kept them. But his hides are being thrown away. His substrate is currently in the freezer. He has not eaten in two weeks. Will he be okay? How long should I be bathing him to get rid of mites? When do I know the mites are gone?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you are using provent a mite 2 treatments and you will be done for most minor infestations.

If you used something else it may take a long time, provent a mite is the only product treating all stages from eggs to adult stage anything else will be inefficient so is bathing that only drown the adults and does not do anything to the eggs.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Traceur (09-07-2018)

Thanks

Re: Preventing mites?

Does anybody know why his stomach is pink as well?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Traceur View Post
    Does anybody know why his stomach is pink as well?
    That usually means he's going into shed (convenient actually - they often skip meals while shedding anyway). Otherwise a pink belly can be from a burn from an unregulated or improperly regulated uth.

He'll be ok, if he's a healthy weight he can afford to go a few weeks without eating. Once you get rid of the mites he can go back to his normal business. The mites likely came either on him or on his bedding or decor, if it came from a pet shop. Generally mites are easy to avoid if you have only one snake, don't bring other snakes into your house, and don't visit other smaller very often. Of you go to a pet store or reptile expo and handle any animals you should shower and change clothes immediately when you get home. But snake mites can only come from other snakes.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Coluber42 For This Useful Post:

Traceur (09-08-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Coluber42 View Post
    That usually means he's going into shed (convenient actually - they often skip meals while shedding anyway). Otherwise a pink belly can be from a burn from an unregulated or improperly regulated uth.

He'll be ok, if he's a healthy weight he can afford to go a few weeks without eating. Once you get rid of the mites he can go back to his normal business. The mites likely came either on him or on his bedding or decor, if it came from a pet shop. Generally mites are easy to avoid if you have only one snake, don't bring other snakes into your house, and don't visit other smaller very often. Of you go to a pet store or reptile expo and handle any animals you should shower and change clothes immediately when you get home. But snake mites can only come from other snakes.
    Ah, I see. I did try to disinfect his hides before he even arrived, but maybe that wasn't enough? And his substrate had been sitting for nearly a month in the bag before he even arrived. Do mites usually live that long?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    The mites MOST likely came on the snake.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-08-2018),Traceur (09-08-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    The mites MOST likely came on the snake.
    Lovely. How often should I bathe him? Also, are mites supposed to float? The specks I've been seeing have always been at the bottom, and then fuzzies are floating at the top
    Last edited by Traceur; 09-08-2018 at 10:59 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Lovely. How often should I bathe him?
    Do not bath your snake use Provent a mite in the cage as directed and be done, bathing a snake does not get rid of a mite infestation. You got to use proper treatment or see mites again every 30 days.
    Deborah Stewart

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-08-2018),Traceur (09-08-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Do not bath your snake use Provent a mite in the cage as directed and be done, bathing a snake does not get rid of a mite infestation. You got to use proper treatment or see mites again every 30 days.
    I've been trying to find the cheapest price since a few websites carry Provent a mite. What's the cheapest one to get it from?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I've been trying to find the cheapest price since a few websites carry Provent a mite. What's the cheapest one to get it from?
    I have no idea to me it's not about price it's about providing relief to an animal as fast as possible, PAM is pretty cheap anyway considering a can will last you forever with 1 snake.
    Deborah Stewart

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-09-2018),Craiga 01453 (09-08-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast