Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,325

2 members and 3,323 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

San Antonio Breeder Animals Seized: What does this look like to the public?

i wonder how much of this story is true, embellished or taken out of context by the public, media or authorities who do not know the hobby or biz. i also know that Hilabeans and PitOnTheProwl live locally and wonder what insight they have on the local level.

anyway's 100-plus BP's and Retic's and a few hundred breeder rodents were seized this week. it seems that the owner/breeder has received complaints or something and previously denied authorities entrance into his home. they obtained a warrant, entered, arrested him and seized his animals. ok apparently he does have some sick animals and there's a smell, etc. he should be on top of all that. beyond that, it seems there is more of a reaction over the amount of animals he had or that many lived in racks. or the size of his biggest snakes - 10feet-plus Retics. one report said he had an 18-footer. even if his operation was in tip-top shape, i believe the general reaction would be the same when the public finds out the guy down the street has a 136 snakes.

there's a buncha articels. here's one w/ a picture gallery: https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...e-13206738.php
    Animal Care officers seize more than 100 snakes, hundreds of mice and rats

More than 100 snakes, including two 10-foot-long pythons, were seized from a South Side home Wednesday morning after a multiagency investigation.

While serving a search warrant, Animal Care Services officers removed the snakes, secured in snake bags, from the two-bedroom, one-bath home in the 500 block of Kayton. ACS was responding to a 311 complaint call about the housing condition of the animals.

Investigators said the man said he was breeding and selling the snakes, which were all nonvenomous and constrictors.

Several people drove by and stopped to ask responders if they could purchase the snakes. ACS officers told the passersby that the snakes were taken as part of a cruelty investigation and not available for sale.

The Dangerous Assessment Response Team, code enforcement, a herpetologist from the San Antonio Zoo and experts from SeaWorld assisted ACS with the investigation.

Norwood said the herpetologist made sure that the housing and everything needed for their stay at ACS.

That guidance and expertise was invaluable,” Norwood said. We recognize we don’t regularly work with snakes and other reptiles, but our partners at the San Antonio Zoo does.”

ACS spokeswoman Lisa Norwood said while serving the warrant, San Antonio Police officers at the scene had to handcuff the pet owner when he reacted angrily to the arrival of ACS officers.

She said SAPD officers accompany ACS officers when they serve a warrant to step in and calm a person down if necessary.

Field operations supervisor Joel Skidmore said ACS officers had been working with the man who owned the snakes for several weeks.

ACS didn’t give the man’s name. Skidmore said the man will have to appear in court within 10 days of the warrant being served for a custody hearing to determine if ACS or the owner will get custody of the snakes.

He said their concerns centered around improving the living conditions of the animals and confirming the number of actual snakes at the property.

Skidmore said after numerous attempts to get the owner to comply, they determined that a warrant was needed to seize custody of the animals for their well being.

If the judge decides to give ACS custody, Norwood said they would work with local ACS approved rescue partners and zoos to find the most appropriate placement for the snakes.

Chapter 5-109 of the city’s animal ordinance references any non-venomous snakes that a person keeps over three feet and or 15 pounds has to be in a safe cage or enclosure that prevents the possibility of escape and still have freedom of movement.

The snakes inside of the home were reticulated pythons and ball pythons.

Skidmore said one of two sheds behind the home contained rats in plastic containers that were being fed to the snakes. The other shed, with a large padlock, held more snakes.

As of Wednesday evening, they had counted 136 snakes and they 415 rats and mice.

Eric Florez, who is an investor, said he was trying to buy the home. He said last year there was a fire at the home and when they came out to check out the damage he saw snakes in cages and could smell the rats.

He said the most disturbing thing, more than the snakes was the rat farm in the back.

“When you walked in, it kind of choked you out,” he said. “Snakes are creepy, but the smell that was repulsive.”

A neighbor, Maria Valdez, 36, said the home always looked as if things were being hoarded inside of it — but didn’t think it was anything from the serpent family.

“I’m surprised that this happened,” she said, standing near response team vehicles. “I never saw anything that was dangerous to people.”

here's another brief article and gallery. alotta the snakes pictured look to be in good shape (except for some shed). he also had some really nice animals including Pastel Lesser Clowns!: https://www.ksat.com/news/acs-releases-photos-of-seized-snakes-longest-snake-measures-18-feet
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-07-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,841 Times in 11,853 Posts
    That last link doesn't work.

Thanks
    Public impression stinks, of course...but no worse & no better than other "animal hoarders" that don't keep up with the care of dogs & cats, etc.
    Apparently ACS was trying to work with him but got to an impasse. Wonder who this is...if it's anyone we know of...??? At least they called in
    expert help for proper snake care but all this is still very stressful for the snakes. Raising rodents shouldn't be making people gag from the odors
    either...if it's that bad, they're filthy IMO. The owner can still get his animals back in the court hearing if care issues are satisfied.

It's outrageous that people driving by were offering to buy the snakes...almost like they knew what he has & set him up for this??? I wonder...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-07-2018 at 08:03 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (09-07-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Re: San Antonio Breeder Animals Seized: What does this look like to the public?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That last link doesn't work.
    i hotlinked it w/ an extra "i" but here it is again: https://www.ksat.com/news/acs-releas...asures-18-feet

also i think it's quite the coincidence the article above quotes Eric Florez, an investor wanting to buy the property.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-07-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    i hotlinked it w/ an extra "i" but here it is again: https://www.ksat.com/news/acs-releas...asures-18-feet

also i think it's quite the coincidence the article above quotes Eric Florez, an investor wanting to buy the property.
    That picture is NOT a "reticulated python".......and I so hope the snakes seized aren't in horrible condition.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-07-2018 at 08:07 PM.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    I saw it but haven't had time to look into it.
    Not an area of SA I frequent.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    I saw it but haven't had time to look into it.
    Not an area of SA I frequent.
    Same. I don’t have any insider/local take on it other than what’s included in the story. I’ll see if I can dig anything up. Or at least follow to see what becomes of his crew.

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That picture is NOT a "reticulated python".......and I so hope the snakes seized aren't in horrible condition.
    there were retics in the pictures?
    For the Horde!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    there were retics in the pictures?
    The picture is a BP but the lower left edge says reticulated python...

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    oh the top photo I thought you meant in the slideshow

eh that happens all the time (mislabeling)
    Last edited by AbsoluteApril; 09-07-2018 at 10:31 PM.
    For the Horde!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast