Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,292

2 members and 3,290 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Viv size for male/female SD/D retics?

Hi,

From looking at the threads on this forum I can see that while the SD/D retics get long they stay rather slender so I am wandering what viv size would they be ok in? Not buying any snakes just curious as I want to own a retic in future. Thanks for any advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Re: Viv size for male/female SD/D retics?

6x2x2 is probably the smallest cage you can get away with. I plan to keep my larger critters in 8x2x2s or maybe a 6x2x4.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    I have my 8 foot male in a 72x30x18 cage. Also got my 6 and 7 foot boas in the same size cages.

If i had a female retic, i would go for a 96x30x18. If you go deeper with depth, be sure to add height so you dont have to literally slide into the cage to clean the back wall and corners.

Here is what my 3 T25s (72x30x18) cages looks like. This is a little older pic as i changed back to aspen and everyone except Vicky in the middle cage have broken their silk vines lol.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (09-09-2018),Stearns84 (09-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

I’d plan for 72x30x18 give or take for a female, depending on it’s genetic background. Male should be fine in that size, maybe even a 48x30x18 if it’s a pure SD.
    My (huge) Kalatoa female is moving into an 8’ cage hopefully this week. She’s fine in a 6’ cage but I like to spoil her when I can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Gio (09-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts
    As others have said it will depend on the snake and how much room you want to give them. A SD male will probably need a different size enclosure than a dwarf female.

Mine is currently in a 36"x24"x12" with plenty of extra space.
    Last edited by 67temp; 09-10-2018 at 07:27 AM.
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 67temp For This Useful Post:

Gio (09-10-2018),jmcrook (09-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lector View Post
    Hi,

From looking at the threads on this forum I can see that while the SD/D retics get long they stay rather slender so I am wandering what viv size would they be ok in? Not buying any snakes just curious as I want to own a retic in future. Thanks for any advice.
    The SD X Dwarf combo can either way. 3 of us here have similar SD X Dwarf animals. 3 are males, and one Kalatoa is a female.

Not one of them is under 8 feet long. Now while the girth will not typically compare to a 100% mainland or larger more terrestrial snake, the length can.

The species is busy compared to many other boas/pythons. Every situation is different but I believe most SD x Dwarf models like to climb and also enjoy their floor space.

Space and cost can limit your choices, but if you are able to get a 6' wide x 30" deep and something 2' or more tall you'll probably enjoy watching your animal utilize the options.

This is a shot looking down one end to the other of my 6 foot cage.

The cage from the outside.

The building phase. This cage is actually two 3' wide cages bolted together with a "pass through".

This picture may help give you an idea of the size, and how to secure perches.

Last photo, as I'm sure folks grow tired of seeing these cage shots.

This gives you and idea of the space inside the cage. Personally, I wouldn't want to have anything less than 2 feet tall. Reaching in is much easier, and getting a semi uncooperative retic out the doors is a lot easier when you can see inside and easily reach inside.

All of this changes the larger the snake is, however if you know the size of the parents and your breeder is fairly confident of the adult size your animal will reach this cage size should fit most SD X Dwarf combos, at least the males.
    Last edited by Gio; 09-10-2018 at 11:02 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

IMO for what it is worth. The largest you can afford and have space for. Retics need exercise and room to move around. Most in captivity die from heart disease or fatty liver. Room to roam and reason to do so is always good for them. Is one reason I am upgrading to a 8ft by 3ft by 4ft for Rainbow. Sure she is a mainland but even at 10ft she needs room to move around and get some climbing in. They love to climb and get into all kinds of trouble and are smart as heck. The better quality of life you provide the happier and healthier they will be. IMO asking how small you can go is not as important as what is healthiest.

Quote Originally Posted by Lector View Post
    Hi,

Last edited by Skyrivers; 09-10-2018 at 11:17 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    IMO for what it is worth. The largest you can afford and have space for. Retics need exercise and room to move around. Most in captivity die from heart disease or fatty liver. Room to roam and reason to do so is always good for them. Is one reason I am upgrading to a 8ft by 3ft by 4ft for Rainbow. Sure she is a mainland but even at 10ft she needs room to move around and get some climbing in. They love to climb and get into all kinds of trouble and are smart as heck. The better quality of life you provide the happier and healthier they will be. IMO asking how small you can go is not as important as what is healthiest.
    Actually most die from fatty liver or heart attacks because they are overfed. Snakes and reptiles in general dont need exercise like we do as humans or mammals. Reptiles are made to be able to conserve calories which is also why they can go months or even a year+ without food. They generally arent really active unless they are uncomfortable and trying to find a more comfortable spot or they are hungry and actively searching for food. A lot of snakes will lay in wait and ambush food.

I agree though that the biggest cage you can feasibly do is great but when you are talking an 18 foot female mainland retic, giving her a 36 foot long cage is not usually feasible lol.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    I agree though that the biggest cage you can feasibly do is great but when you are talking an 18 foot female mainland retic, giving her a 36 foot long cage is not usually feasible lol.
    I just hope that the one I am working on for her will be large enough for her as an adult. Mainlands get huge.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,864 Times in 4,781 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
    A SD male will probably need a different size enclosure than a dwarf female.
    This. My adult male SD is about seven feet, and my adult female genetic stripe (considered a "dwarf" gene) is just shy of 15 feet long.