Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,463

3 members and 3,460 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Garter snake in the house

Hey! A friend of mine (down in Florida if that makes a difference) had a wild garter snake get in his house and he’s concerned it’s gonna starve if he doesn’t get it out. How does one lure out and catch a garter snake without killing or harming it? He isn’t sure where exactly in his house it is.
    do garter snakes like BPs like tight dark warm spaces? Would it come out if he dropped the temperature in the house and set a heat source in the middle of the room?
    If you have any suggestions please lemme know

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    I've seen snakes (when allowed on my floor) head repeatedly to the tiny bit of outside air seeping in around a sliding glass door (that was closed, even!),
    but I don't know if they'd want to try leaving a door cracked or not? Garters are diurnal as far as I know, so I wouldn't leave a door cracked open overnight,
    who knows what else might come in? LOL Could also try loud music with a lot of bass...snakes feel vibrations & he might be more inclined to leave the area.
    Otherwise, yes, I think he'll starve if he stays in the house, unless they also have a lot of geckos roaming loose that they don't know about?

BTW, I'm not a keeper of garter snakes, but as far as I know, they don't like it real warm...they DO like moisture...damp moss would be more of a draw, I
    would think? But they're hard to catch, it would be best if he left on his own. Or they could get a bowl of gold fish & leave it within his reach? (garter
    snakes love to fish!)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-05-2018 at 09:19 PM.