Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,433

2 members and 3,431 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Snake reactions from your family and friends

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That sounds like she fell for the old myth that a snake lying next to you is somehow "measuring you" for consumption. Maybe she picked that up from someone
    when she was much younger & it's still there subconsciously?
    Yeah, I guess she's seen somewhere that someone took their constrictor to the vet because it was suddenly growing massively, and the vet told them that the snake was preparing to eat the owner! I've pointed out the biological impossibility of such a thing, but am not sure if it sunk in. It's kind of odd, because she likes frogs and toads, and thinks I should trade my snake in for a chameleon of all things, but doesn't care for bearded dragons or geckos, so it's definitely a selective scaly reptile distaste.
    1.0 Banana/Coral Glow Emperor Pin BP- Horatio
    0.1 Hypo Black Pewter Butter- Gin & Tonic (Ginny)
    1.0 Piebald Cat- Percival Henry

Thanks

The thing that I stress to friends and family when they are invited to my home but are squeamish about snakes, is how the snakes are secured. In other words, what type of locked (stress the "locked" part) enclosure that I am using for my snakes. I swear, it's amazing how many folks believe that I let my snakes run free in the house like a dog or a cat. lol

<><Peace
    Last edited by dadofsix; 10-11-2018 at 07:21 PM.
    5.1 "chitlins"
    0.0.2 Royal Pythons
    0.1 German Shepherds
    6.0 black short-haired cats
    1.0 long-haired grey tabby cat
    1.1 grey short-haired "ding-bat" kittens
    0.2 black long-haired cats

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dadofsix For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dadofsix View Post
    The thing that I stress to friends and family when they are invited to my home but are squeamish about snakes, is how the snakes are secured. In other words, what type of locked (stress the "locked" part) enclosure that I am using for my snakes. I swear, it's amazing how many folks believe that I let my snakes run free in the house like a dog or a cat. lol

<><Peace
    I get the same thing! If I had a dollar for every time I’ve been asked if I keep then in cages or let them roam the house, I could add at least one more snake with the complete setup...probably more.

On a positive note, because of the few FB posts I made about my pets, I had a conversation with some folks that I never would have expected to show interest. I go to some local classic car cruise-ins and one of the guys mentioned my snakes because he’d seen a recent post. That started a sideline conversation about the types of snakes I had. The first guy even brought up my posts to share photos. There were a couple of guys that didn’t care for snakes, but everyone was civil and most of the group seemed interested to hear a little about them. Even if I didn’t win anyone over to keeping snakes, I shared some info and it was a positive experience. A couple of the folks mentioned how pretty they were. I think it helps that the posts were about my BP’s and they are particularly cute.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dadofsix View Post
    ... it's amazing how many folks believe that I let my snakes run free in the house like a dog or a cat....
    I get the same question...often from people who truly (!) should know better. It's hard to believe so many people know SO little about snakes.

When I can keep a straight face, I like to concur, & I go on to describe the large pit in my living-room for door-to-door salespeople, until I can no longer suppress my
    giggles.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

First, keep doing what you are doing. Enjoy your reptiles and your passion.

Many people do not understand how we can enjoy, and even love, these creatures. It's why we have forums like this and we can share our passion with other like-minded people.

Secondly, how do my friends and family react?

Depends on the individual. Many of my friends tolerate the snakes, and many enjoy them, but still do not fully understand why I have 10 reptiles in my home. Many of my friends' kids get a kick out of them and I make a point to show them not to be afraid from a young age to be curious instead.

My niece, Meghan, has been posted all over this forum. She adores the reptiles, and now at almost 8, is allowed to hold them on her own (with close supervision). She thinks they are the best. She's also been to multiple reptile shows with us.

My family is mixed. My Mother, used to hate snakes, but she has come along way. She really enjoys holding them now and asks for updates on her grand-snakes and grand-lizards. She is a real dog person, but has a told me recently, how she's come to see the fun in watching the reptiles grow, interacting with them, and their individual personalities.

My step-father tolerates them and watches my mother hold them, etc. However, he won't touch them, and does not understand why either me, Katie, or my mom, likes them so much. To him, they don't have fur, and they don't cuddle, so what's the point?

My in-laws do not like them, don't understand, and stay far away. My father-in-law call them critters. The other day they were over and I introduced them to Ezzy. Katie's mom took a step back every time she moved and her dad called her a critter. When he called Ezzy a "critter," his wife got upset and told him to be respectful, "that's your daughter's critter!" That's a huge step. They use to cringe every time I mentioned one, forget seeing them.

Katie, my fiancé, is another success story. She was never afraid of them, but used to be indifferent. She was not crazy about me moving in with all the tanks and animals (especially the insect eating Leopard Geckos). Now she loves them and even has her very own Leachie (Esmeralda) living in her office. She helps feed the corn snakes now and adores baby Solana. We just got an Albino Carpet Python yearling, Yafe, and he had a full blown RI 2 days after receiving him. Katie came with me to vet until 3AM 2 days after we got him, and has been administering his injection every 3 days (10 injections in total - and after 2 he's already improving dramatically) while I hold him steady. She's come a really long way. .

Here's my mom holding Behira (2 year old BCI) and with Esmeralda (Ezzy) the Leachie on her back:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by dakski; 10-11-2018 at 11:19 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-11-2018),Timelugia (10-12-2018)

Thanks
    Your mom is adorable. Mine is no longer around, but she was just as tolerant of my snakes, once she saw how easily I interacted with them. She was always
    a dog-lover, but while snakes are a different sort of pet, they show personality & accept handling without a fuss, & considering that her mom (my late grand-
    mother) HATED snakes, my mom had a pretty open mind about them. Progress...

I think for MOST people that I've met, it comes down to "seeing is believing": once they see me handling my snakes close up, those who profess to "hate snakes"
    come away with a whole different perspective, because all that time they justified their opinion because "all snakes bite". After watching me handling a snake,
    many if not most can't resist touching or holding it too...I get such a kick out of seeing minds changed. When snakes are clearly NOT "evil" or scary, most folks
    are relieved & then curious.

It's when they AREN'T seeing our snakes that more people spout their nasty hate comments, because it's hard to argue with what's right in front of them.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-12-2018)

Thanks
    I've had mixed reactions.
    On one hand my sister-in-law doesn't want to see even pictures of the snake, since she has a severe phobia. But she'll still let her kids look.
    One that was a surprise to me was my grandmother. When I showed her Nagini she was absolutely thrilled, even though my dad was nervous. Apparently she used to volunteer for the zoo and show the public different animals. She says snakes were her favorite, since people thought they were slimy. But if she could get them to touch them they were surprised and usually calmed down. Now she tells me that story every time I mention Nagini.

But I do try to get people to meet Nagini, since I find that makes the biggest difference. Its how I warmed up to snakes after all.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Timelugia For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-12-2018)

Thanks
    I have to keep my snakey and tarantula posts to a minimum because I am not allowed pets in my building.

People are much more freaked out and opinionated about my tarantula than they are the python, though. I have noticed that many of my friends who grew up on farms are the ones who want nothing to do with the snake.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Florence_Bones View Post
    I have to keep my snakey and tarantula posts to a minimum because I am not allowed pets in my building.

People are much more freaked out and opinionated about my tarantula than they are the python, though. I have noticed that many of my friends who grew up on farms are the ones who want nothing to do with the snake.
    That's too bad (about your friends that grew up on farms) because around here many I've talked to seem to realize the value of snakes as far as controlling rodents on
    their farms. Many tell me that the only snakes they object to are the venomous ones. Lots of people are freaked about spiders, & tarantulas are "spiders on steroids",
    lol...my mom was always phobic about spiders, but I've kept a golden huntsman as well as a huge female tarantula before. I like snakes way better, but all life forms
    are interesting & have value.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I like watching tarantula videos. Their husbandry fascinates me.
    Nevertheless, I don't think I'd want one in my house!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

Dianne (10-14-2018)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast