Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,692

2 members and 2,690 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
    Thanks

Getting my temps right

I had had my setup for a couple of weeks before getting my BP, but I’m only starting to have issues now. I’m having difficulty keeping the temps both within range with the thermostat, as I can’t keep the warm side any cooler than 90 without the cool side dropping below 75. The enclosure is a 15 quart sterilite tub (he is a 70g hatchling), heat is UTH made for 10-20 gallon tanks. I covered the adhesive side of the UTH in foil tape to avoid possibly breaking it when I upgrade him, could this have anything to do with it? The ambient temperature of the room is ~74 and I’d really prefer not to keep the room any warmer on behalf of the other animals in it. Could it be my thermometer? I have a digital thermometer/hygrometer as well as a regular digital thermometer in the tub. I’m really frustrated because I had the setup within range for almost two weeks before getting him yesterday.
    1.1 ball pythons, 2.0 BCIs, 1.0 western hognose, 1.0 honduran milk, 1.0 corn snake, 1.0 kenyan sand boa, 1.0 pueblan milk, 1.0 MBK, 1.0 checkered garter, 1.0 eastern garter, 1.0 coast garter, 1.0 plains garter

Thanks

Re: Getting my temps right

Quote Originally Posted by KKM View Post
    I had had my setup for a couple of weeks before getting my BP, but I’m only starting to have issues now. I’m having difficulty keeping the temps both within range with the thermostat, as I can’t keep the warm side any cooler than 90 without the cool side dropping below 75. The enclosure is a 15 quart sterilite tub (he is a 70g hatchling), heat is UTH made for 10-20 gallon tanks. I covered the adhesive side of the UTH in foil tape to avoid possibly breaking it when I upgrade him, could this have anything to do with it? The ambient temperature of the room is ~74 and I’d really prefer not to keep the room any warmer on behalf of the other animals in it. Could it be my thermometer? I have a digital thermometer/hygrometer as well as a regular digital thermometer in the tub. I’m really frustrated because I had the setup within range for almost two weeks before getting him yesterday.
    Will your thermostat allow for two probes? If so, here’s what I did when I had an issue with the cool side bring a couple degrees below where I wanted it to be. Get another UTH and set the temps to boost the cool area. It’s a minor investment and worth the stress of lower temps. Hope I understood your issue correctly.
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)