Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,371

2 members and 3,369 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Corn Troubles

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    It never fails, no better "inspiration" than a clean cage!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-15-2018),Lethora45 (08-15-2018)

Thanks

Re: Corn Troubles

Here's the only pic I have so far - from before I cleaned her cage, she's wedged between the glass and a brick that was in the cage. I'll get better ones once she settles in. Also got the full story, she's supposedly around 9 years old, was the typical kid wanted a snake then grew up and moved out - couldn't take the snake and dad was fed up with (not) taking care of it. So today he tried to take her to one of the local shelters (this one only does dogs and cats btw) and when they turned him down he drove down the block to our clinic and said take it or I'm turning it loose.

So without further ado here is Senorita Rosalita del Maiz (fiance named her not me)

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/450442571596955653/479094440217018376/image.jpg

Last edited by Crowfingers; 08-14-2018 at 09:20 PM.
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crowfingers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-14-2018),Craiga 01453 (08-15-2018)

Thanks
    Pretty gal...sad that she outlived her young owner's enthusiasm, but not surprising either, especially if the parents & rest of the family weren't enthused.

I can't tell much from photo but so happy she's in good hands at last. Nine years isn't all that "old" for a corn...my oldest currently is 19 years, and I've
    had them live into their 20's, though neglect will make a snake "age" faster.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Sorry, late to the party here.

Get a good length and weight on her if you can, and some top down pictures. Corns are not hefty snakes. She may be thin, but a few better pictures and a weight would help.

For reference, my adult male corn snake, Figment, is a good 5ft and "only" 650G. I say only because most corns do not get over 5ft and 650G is a good sized boy, if not a little on the bigger side. Unlike BP's, and most boids I know of, in corns, males are bigger than females (usually).

Anything from room temp (down to about 72F or even 70F) is fine for a cool spot. They do want a hot spot, but no higher than 86F. 82-84F is totally fine. Corns need about 82F to properly digest. Too hot and they won't use the hot spot.

Generally very docile, but also can move a lot and be darty when being handled. Figment is all over the place, but is calm and docile, he just has ADHD. On the other hand, our 3 month old female scaleless corn, is calm as can be. They all have different personalities, but in general, are not as slow moving or even sedentary like many boids can be.

They have faster metabolisms then boids, and usually are fed more often. As adults, males and non-breeding females can be fed every other week an appropriate sized meal. Corns can eat prey up to 1.5 times their diameter, but as adults, I feed enough to leave a small lump and that's it. Baby corns can eat prey close to 20% of their body weight. As adults I keep it under 10% and usually around 6-8%.

If she needs to gain weight, feed weekly, but not bigger meals.

A 4ft corn at over 400G can easily eat a large mouse (20-35G) weekly. They readily accept F/T and have a strong food response.

Additionally, being that their metabolism is faster, they poop more than boids. Figure on a good poop 3-4 days after a meal and probably another one, at least, before the next feeding. Figment eats every other week and poops 2-4 times between meals. Also, they are mouse eaters, and colubrids with quick metabolisms; Figment can clear a room. FYI.

As mentioned, escape proof is must. If they can get their head in, they will either escape or get stuck. They will easily and happily push off a screen top that is not well clipped down.

There a few experienced corn keepers on here, and you have already gotten some good advice.

Keep us in the loop and ask anything you need/want to know. We want the best for your new addition.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Lethora45 (08-15-2018),pretends2bnormal (08-15-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Sorry, late to the party here.
    Get a good length and weight on her if you can, and some top down pictures. Corns are not hefty snakes. She may be thin, but a few better pictures and a weight would help.
    As mentioned, escape proof is must. If they can get their head in, they will either escape or get stuck. They will easily and happily push off a screen top that is not well clipped down.
    There a few experienced corn keepers on here, and you have already gotten some good advice.
    Keep us in the loop and ask anything you need/want to know. We want the best for your new addition.
    Hey, thanks! Yeah, I think she needs maybe 50-100 g before she looks filled out. I can clearly see and feel her spine, and there is an indent caudally about at the midline of her body. She's definitely not emaciated like some petco balls that I've seen. I'll try and get good pics once she settles in. She is ~5.3ft and is 830 g (0.83 kg). I ordered f/t mice tonight, all the stores around me had were pinks or fuzzies or jumbo rats. If she does not take that I'll go to live. She is very scarred up, so I assume shes only ever had live.
    I got 2 extra clamps for the screen so that there are now one on each side and replaced the red "basking light" with a CHE on a thermostat. Tonight might well be the first dark night she's ever had for all I know.
    She has been exploring all her new hides and climbing all over the cage. She seems fascinated with the moist moss hide. keeps sticking her head in it but trying not to let her belly drag through it, I don't think she's had one of those either. Also, the stuck shed on her tail came off and there is nothing wound related underneath so that's a plus.

She is surprisingly handle-able as well. Let me pull back her gums and look in her mouth, I can touch her head and pick her up without so much as a flinch. At least the kid must have done something with her at one point.
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crowfingers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-14-2018),dakski (08-14-2018),Lethora45 (08-15-2018)

Thanks

Wait - males are larger? so, princess may be a prince then... not that they know their names

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crowfingers View Post
    Wait - males are larger? so, princess may be a prince then... not that they know their names
    My four unbred 10-year olds (2.2) are all of similar size, but my 19-year old is a male & a good 5'+ as well.

Similar thing with my unbred 2.2 Florida rat snakes, but with them, there's a logical reason: every year, both females lay infertile eggs- about 2 dozen in the first
    clutch, & far fewer in the 2nd clutch. The gals waste so much energy producing all those eggs, they stay way smaller than the males. The males are just about 7',
    while the females are only about 5'. My corn snakes, so far, haven't churned out infertile eggs, which accounts for their staying a similar size to the males, and I
    hope they never do that as problems can arise (egg-binding).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Crowfingers (08-14-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crowfingers View Post
    She has been exploring all her new hides and climbing all over the cage. She seems fascinated with the moist moss hide. keeps sticking her head in it but trying not to let her belly drag through it, I don't think she's had one of those either. Also, the stuck shed on her tail came off and there is nothing wound related underneath so that's a plus.

She is surprisingly handle-able as well. Let me pull back her gums and look in her mouth, I can touch her head and pick her up without so much as a flinch. At least the kid must have done something with her at one point.
    She must be amazed with the changes in her surroundings, like her double-take at the humid hide. Typical for them to look but hesitate at first, but once they go in,
    they're hooked.

Sounds like she (or he) has the typical docile personality of most corn snakes- there's a few exceptions but just like with ball pythons, most are mellow (excellent) pets.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Based on that picture, although not the best angle, I dont think she looks too underweight at all. But like you said, its not the best pic and you can clearly see better than I can.
    But, yeah, I expected worse.

I would guess that snake will take F/T right away and be filled out and looking great in a few short weeks.

Good on you for helping her out!!!

Thanks

YAY - just as you all predicted, she ate immediately. Had to settle for 2 small f/t mice from petco (12 and 18g). Took both without blinking...well, she doesn't have eyelids. Anyway; she's curled in her hot hide digesting meanwhile my ball python is curled on top of his rat like it is some kind of bean-bag chair - no interest in food at all.

I have an order of mice on the way from perfect prey and blood/stool heading out to the lab for her tests. Been a busy 24 hours for this snoot, kinda surprised she ate!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crowfingers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-15-2018),Craiga 01453 (08-15-2018)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast