Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,104

2 members and 3,102 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,132
Threads: 248,575
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Climbing on side of tank?

Im watching my baby bp rite now..and shes kinda being annoying and weird..

shes in a 10 gal tank, and every nite, i see her like climbing on the side of the tank..she like gets half her body on the side and gets to the top and falls down..its kinda sad.. i am moving her into a bigger tank in january.. she is about 200 grams, 1.5ft long i am estimating.. any thoughts? oh and her temps are 86-90 on the warm side, 75-80 cool.

Thanks

Re: Climbing on side of tank?

If you want glass get a 20 long. Bump up the temps a couple degrees (unless thats air temp), make sure she doesn't have mites, make sure you are feeding appropriately sized meals and that she has a couple hides.

Chances are she either doesn't feel secure, or one of her needs isn't being met.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oxylepy View Post
    If you want glass get a 20 long. Bump up the temps a couple degrees (unless thats air temp), make sure she doesn't have mites, make sure you are feeding appropriately sized meals and that she has a couple hides.

Chances are she either doesn't feel secure, or one of her needs isn't being met.
    She has 2 hides, feed her a good sized mouse every 6 days, treated her for mites a while ago with provent a mite and there gone, ill do my best to make sure her needs are met. im getting her a 20L when i get money at christmas..

Thanks

I was just throwing down the typical issues, I wasn't trying to insult you.

Alternatively it could just be her having a tendency to roam. One of my 4 snakes likes to do it quite often, while the other 3 are all fine. Which, obviously, leads me to checking her tub constantly, but there is nothing wrong with it. Depends on the personality of the snake sometimes.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

Thanks

my snake did the same thing. im feeding him live baby rats and when he did that i thought he was hungry so i threw i f/t fuzzy mouse in there and he went right to it and took it down. after that he was fine. my snake is about the same as urs. try baby rats every five days. if hes growing fast try a small snack for him.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mpkeelee View Post
    my snake did the same thing. im feeding him live baby rats and when he did that i thought he was hungry so i threw i f/t fuzzy mouse in there and he went right to it and took it down. after that he was fine. my snake is about the same as urs. try baby rats every five days. if hes growing fast try a small snack for him.
    ya i actually just switched her to f/t . it was hard but i did it. and ya do you think i should switch to rats now? because i feel like the adult mice are getting kinda small for her..

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oxylepy View Post
    I was just throwing down the typical issues, I wasn't trying to insult you.

Alternatively it could just be her having a tendency to roam. One of my 4 snakes likes to do it quite often, while the other 3 are all fine. Which, obviously, leads me to checking her tub constantly, but there is nothing wrong with it. Depends on the personality of the snake sometimes.
    oh no i didnt think u were insulting me i was just kinda checking myself off for the things i have and stuff. yea im hoping that its just her personality but ill keep a close eye on her.

Thanks

Sounds like she just might be doing her nightly exploring. If she sleeps during the day, your hides, temps are good,and shes eating she should be ok. Depending on her size a 20 might be to big for her just yet. Now that you got her on FT mice you might want to switch to FT rats. Be sure to prescent for a half hr. Her growth rate will increase.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

the climbing the walls is not normal nightly cruising. It is "I WANT TO GET OUT OF HERE" cruising. She is looking for a weak point in the cage to push her way out.

I would not suggest moving her to a BIGGER tank until this behavior has stopped. Maybe you should add more fake plants or tighter hides to make her feel safer. She obviously has some problem with her environment.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

BPs are known escape artists. They will always cruise and climb. Id worry if she was climbing on the outside of the tank.
    ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast