Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,268

0 members and 3,268 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Talking cool snake dayyy!

Some of the more interesting species (or just pretty morphs) at the reptile super show today that isn't ball pythons and boas and retics! I got pretty tired of seeing ball pythons and boas about 5 minutes after I arrived. LOL. The amount of ball pythons is really overwhelming.

Black headed catsnake, black pine snakes (there were actually a bunch of these), lesser keeled rat snake, greater keeled rat snake (well... the sides of one, but still cool to see this species in front of me), solomon island ground boa litter, a really pretty brooks kingsnake, just a big ole albino carpet python that I wanted a picture of, a large texas indigo, a cool greenish solomon island tree boa that I've never seen before, and some pretty bullsnakes.

Solomon island ground boas were unexpectedly poo-colored in real life. Somehow they don't seem that dull in photos online! I'm glad I never got one!

I was really interested in keeled rat snakes before going in today. But after seeing them in person and talking to Dan briefly about the ones he had for sale, it actually made me lose interest.
    Strange LOL

Unexpectedly, I gained interest in some new species that never appealed to me before when just seeing them online. Pine snakes! I held multiple northern pine snakes from the same clutch, just born July 15th I believe, and liked them so much that I brought one home!! They are all very tame, the adult the breeder had on display is very tame, and these babies are HUGE hatchlings! Sorry I failed my promise of a last snake.

Her name is Genesis, and she is so mellow! I'm hoping it stays this way and she doesn't go Pixie on me.

I applied a bit of Frontline on her for mites (I'm very paranoid of mites now... and in fact, I bought some log hides for decor and actually found an adult mite on them! YIKES.) and the Frontline probably stung and pissed her off. She made tiny, short hisses that sounded like "PSS! PSS! PSS!!!" and head butted my hand- It was so cute that I really want to hear it again. But also, hopefully I don't hear it again. Guys, angry small snakes are so cute.

isn't she huge for a month old hatchling?

She then immediately mellowed out afterward. So cute!!!

Magma just about finished his quarantine, so now it's her turn for QT. Two snakes in one year isn't too bad right? RIGHT?
    I've just about been getting exactly 2 snakes per year. LOL
    Last edited by redshepherd; 08-12-2018 at 02:04 AM.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Bogertophis (08-12-2018),C.Marie (08-12-2018),Craiga 01453 (08-12-2018),dakski (08-12-2018),jmcrook (08-12-2018),Jus1More (08-12-2018),Kira (08-12-2018),MissterDog (08-12-2018),Phillydubs (08-12-2018),richardhind1972 (08-12-2018),the_rotten1 (08-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    GOSH I still can't get over how cute she is! Way cuter than the ones I've seen online for sure! ;_; little black tongue!
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (08-12-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Re: cool snake dayyy!

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    GOSH I still can't get over how cute she is! Way cuter than the ones I've seen online for sure! ;_; little black tongue!
    Right?? She's like more peach-colored and less speckly!

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Great new pick there,
    looked like the show had some pretty cool stuff

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (08-12-2018),redshepherd (08-12-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    Really really cool pics! Way to go out of the way and showcase some lesser known species and those not seen very often.

I agree we see a lot of BPS and boas here and all over and granted this is a bp site so duhh but it’s almost easy to forget all that’s out there. Sometimes it seems like the colubrid world gets vastly overlooked. I know before my day in snake keeping that corns were like bps are now. But even those seem just like a small clip to those out there

I have become rather fascinated with the bull, gopher, indigo world and your new pick up is stellar!!! Can’t wait to see her grow!

what a beast for a month old!!!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phillydubs For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-12-2018),redshepherd (08-12-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I am kinda curious about the Northern Pine snakes, but every time I watch a video of them they are all hissy and aggressive. I know Emily of the Snake Discovery channel breeds them and loves them all dearly. Your little girl is beautiful and I hope she stays mellow for you. Please keep us posted with her progress..
    Last edited by Jus1More; 08-12-2018 at 07:15 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jus1More For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (08-12-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Awesome pics! Thanks for showing some "different" snakes too. As much as I love BPs I barely even look at them at expos. It's insane how BP dominated the hobby is, especially considering how many other cool species there are. I just checked morphmarket and there are 9,485 BPs for sale!!! Compare that to 39 Kings, 159 carpets, 226 blood/short tails, just as an example. Almost TEN THOUSAND BPs for sale on that platform alone!!!! Even boas were around 1,400. So there are about 7 BPs for every boa, and boas were by far the closest in quantity to BPs at a quick glance...
    ....and still, countless people get their first BP and want to jump right into breeding them...

On another note, super cool new pickup!!! It's not a King, and I'm not going to say I told you so, buuuut...I told you so!!! Hahahaha! In all serious, super cool addition to an already diverse and cool collection!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-12-2018),C.Marie (08-12-2018),redshepherd (08-12-2018)

Thanks
    Congratulations what a cutie pie, after watching Dāv Kaufman for awhile, I really love his bull snakes more and more, thank you ever so much for sharing and best wishes always..
    Domestic Short Hair - Miss Becky
    Russian Blue - Church
    Miniature Poodle - Pierre LaPoodlePants
    Banana BP - Yuri Katsuki

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C.Marie For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (08-12-2018),richardhind1972 (08-12-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Awesome pics! Thanks for showing some "different" snakes too. As much as I love BPs I barely even look at them at expos. It's insane how BP dominated the hobby is, especially considering how many other cool species there are. I just checked morphmarket and there are 9,485 BPs for sale!!! Compare that to 39 Kings, 159 carpets, 226 blood/short tails, just as an example. Almost TEN THOUSAND BPs for sale on that platform alone!!!! Even boas were around 1,400. So there are about 7 BPs for every boa, and boas were by far the closest in quantity to BPs at a quick glance...
    ....and still, countless people get their first BP and want to jump right into breeding them...

On another note, super cool new pickup!!! It's not a King, and I'm not going to say I told you so, buuuut...I told you so!!! Hahahaha! In all serious, super cool addition to an already diverse and cool collection!
    I think the numbers on morph parker are kinda skewed for some of the species since they were only added as categories sometime in the last year. A lot of them had some message about it being a new category back in March. I think a lot of them got grouped under "other colubrids" or "other pythons" before instead of individual species.

There would still be a difference for sure! I just think the really low numbers aren't quite accurate yet.

Expos near me are 95% BP, unfortunately.. at least our most frequent named one. Frequently see up to 2 tables with a bunch of BP and some boas or < 5 of another species, 1 maybe 2 tables exclusively colubrid (one that is occaisionlly there is all hognose and Texas gray banded kingsnakes, just about, but usually just a corn/milk snake table), and maybe 1 exclusively boa table with what looks like $1,000+ boas only.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

17. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-12-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Looks like there were some really neat snakes at that show Red and you definitely picked a beauty. I love pits. They'll huff and puff a little as babies but after a few meals he'll be fine. I'd advise feeding them a little bit heavier than kings or corns. These guys are strictly business when it comes to food. Very fun snakes.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (08-12-2018),redshepherd (08-12-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast