Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,298

5 members and 3,293 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    Phantom looks really happy in his new set up! Congrats on breaking quarantine! Haha sorry for the scare but it's fascinating how well he camaflogues!

And yes! My russian rattie girl is out of her QT days and definitely enjoying a more decorative scene!
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (11-15-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Re: Phantom: Super Ghost BCI Progression Thread

Phantom and the viv look great,does make your stomach turn when you can’t find them,Ive emptied the viv before only to find them pop there head out out the substrate as if to say “keep it down,I was sleeping “ lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (11-15-2018),dakski (11-15-2018)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Looks like a happy lil boa!
    For the Horde!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (11-15-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Thanks for the kind words brother. Happy to help any time.

I’ve had scares like that and they are not fun. Heart skipped a beat, right?

The day after 25g Solana went into her life home, a 3x2’ Boaphile, with 6 hides, I couldn’t find her. Lifted all 6 hides and started freaking out. Little turkey was under the paper wedged in the corner behind her water bowl.

I’ve learned my lesson, she’s growing like a weed, and I am positive she cannot get out of there.

However, for a minute there, I was about to cry.

Phantom looks awesome and he’s going to love his new digs once he settles in. Looks really nice.
    No Thank You!!! You’ve been so helpful to many of us so just looking to pay it forward.
    Heart definitely skipped a beat and I was having flashbacks when I checked my BP’s hides a couple months ago and proceeded to destroy the basement looking for him
    Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    Phantom looks really happy in his new set up! Congrats on breaking quarantine! Haha sorry for the scare but it's fascinating how well he camaflogues!

And yes! My russian rattie girl is out of her QT days and definitely enjoying a more decorative scene!
    He does look very happy! And now I feel like a finally have a ‘show’ snake. One that doesn’t hide every hour of the day Congrats on the end of QT for you as well. Wonder how long that will last…..meaning new creature
    Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    Phantom and the viv look great,does make your stomach turn when you can’t find them,Ive emptied the viv before only to find them pop there head out out the substrate as if to say “keep it down,I was sleeping “ lol
    Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Thanks Richard! I’ll say I definitely panicked when I didn’t find him but also panicked when I realized he was 2 inches from hand. Luckily he didn’t take a chunk out of my hand since he was probably still in feed mode
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

dakski (11-15-2018),MissterDog (11-15-2018),richardhind1972 (11-15-2018)

Thanks

Weird feeding response tonight for Phantom. I always feed at night w/ minimal lighting and he's ALWAYS aggressively taken the food. Tonight I was having trouble finding where he was in the enclosure so I thought the sound of a hair dryer and the smell of a warm mouse would bring him out but no luck. I ended up turning on the enclosure LEDs and lifting the cool side hide where he usually likes to hide out. No Phantom?!?!? I proceeded to close the sliding glass door and open the other side to check the warm side hide. There is was curled up in a ball. I presented the mouse and it took him awhile to acknowledge the prey but he eventually took it but I had to really work to get him to eat. Maybe it has something to do w/ the cold season upon us or maybe a shed could be coming up. I'm not quite sure. I'll definately be checking tomorrow morning to make sure the mouse was eaten and not left inside his hide.

Curious what others do when there is no reaction from your snake when its feeding time. I know it's not recommended to turn on the lights and lift the hide but at least he ate this time by me doing so.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

A few thoughts.

First, I agree with checking and making sure the prey was eaten. He could be shedding, it could be a weather change, or he could be having an off day. Even Behira refused 1 meal since I've had her. No idea why, but she did.

Secondly, I agree with, in general, not picking up hides and definitely with not turning on lights, etc. If he doesn't come out the he smells food. I would either leave the prey item on the warm side, or near the opening of the hide you know he's in (if you know he's in a hide), without blocking the hide.

Aside from the fact that many snakes will be turned off food by lights coming on all of sudden, and definitely with hides being lifted off, etc. You are taking a big risk buddy. With a little Phantom, not so bad. Try that with a 5FT+ Phantom and get a food response bite and you could be talking stitches. What if he was just sleeping, and he all of sudden smells food and you lift the hide and BAMMM?

Not important enough for him to get a meal in at this point for your to dis-regulate him, or risk getting bit now or certainly at later date when he's bigger. Pretty much any healthy snake can miss a meal easily. If he doesn't want to come out, leave it for a bit. If he doesn't take in a few hours, or overnight at the most. Take it out and toss it.

Offer again in a week.

He will be okay.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Dianne (11-28-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    A few thoughts.

First, I agree with checking and making sure the prey was eaten. He could be shedding, it could be a weather change, or he could be having an off day. Even Behira refused 1 meal since I've had her. No idea why, but she did.

Secondly, I agree with, in general, not picking up hides and definitely with not turning on lights, etc. If he doesn't come out the he smells food. I would either leave the prey item on the warm side, or near the opening of the hide you know he's in (if you know he's in a hide), without blocking the hide.

Aside from the fact that many snakes will be turned off food by lights coming on all of sudden, and definitely with hides being lifted off, etc. You are taking a big risk buddy. With a little Phantom, not so bad. Try that with a 5FT+ Phantom and get a food response bite and you could be talking stitches. What if he was just sleeping, and he all of sudden smells food and you lift the hide and BAMMM?

Not important enough for him to get a meal in at this point for your to dis-regulate him, or risk getting bit now or certainly at later date when he's bigger. Pretty much any healthy snake can miss a meal easily. If he doesn't want to come out, leave it for a bit. If he doesn't take in a few hours, or overnight at the most. Take it out and toss it.

Offer again in a week.

He will be okay.
    I checked this morning and Phantom was still under the same hide and the prey was gone. I made every attempt to shield myself while lifting the hides last night and I understand what you’re saying about the risk doing this with a 5’ plus BOA. I think I was more perplexed then anything since this was the 1st time not witnessing a feeding response. I felt the need to investigate to see if he was ok and worse to see if he was even in the enclosure (I had visions of when my BP went missing for a couple hours …. Thanks again for the response. It’s definitely a learning experience and I’m glad to have this board share knowledge like this.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

I had a similar experience last night and other times previously. My BCI and scrub were both in their hides at feeding time last night. I lifted their hides and offered the rats on tongs. They both ate just fine. I've also had to turn on the cage led lights a few times when feeding my carpets, bulls and olive. It's tough seeing where the sharp end is sometimes so I either turn on the cage or room lights until they take the prey then it's back to lights out. I didn't know that could make them not eat. Luckily it hasn't been an issue yet but I'll definitely be more mindful.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

I always feed with the lights on so they can see when they have struck the rat rather than my hand then turn the lights off after I know it's gone, my motley will only eat with the lights off tho

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    I had a similar experience last night and other times previously. My BCI and scrub were both in their hides at feeding time last night. I lifted their hides and offered the rats on tongs. They both ate just fine. I've also had to turn on the cage led lights a few times when feeding my carpets, bulls and olive. It's tough seeing where the sharp end is sometimes so I either turn on the cage or room lights until they take the prey then it's back to lights out. I didn't know that could make them not eat. Luckily it hasn't been an issue yet but I'll definitely be more mindful.
    Must be that Atlanta weather causing our snakes to close up shop during feeding times. Actually I checked when I got home and Phantom ‘might’ be showing signs of a shed coming on. I’m not the best at recognizing this yet so we’ll see if I’m on to something. And you’re right it’s tough seeing in the dark and trying to guess where these guys are. If it weren’t for the lights turned on last night, I would have guessed the wrong hide I can definitely see the lights having a negative effect on my BP but the BOA doesn’t seem to care much.

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    I always feed with the lights on so they can see when they have struck the rat rather than my hand then turn the lights off after I know it's gone, my motley will only eat with the lights off tho
    Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk
    I hope this wasn't a result from past experiences (i.e. food response to your hand)
    Last edited by ckuhn003; 11-29-2018 at 10:56 PM.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (11-30-2018)

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast