Quote Originally Posted by CloudtheBoa View Post
That size is bigger than what I feed as well, my boas are only on hopper mice every 10-14 days at the size he arrived at. As long as it leaves little to no bump immediately after swallowing, then that's the size I'd aim for.

He's a good-looking boy, congrats! I believe I've seen the name Chausmer before.

For feeding, I generally just warm up the prey item enough that it isn't cold. I don't heat it to body temp or anything. Some may like it warmed, and I usually just soak them in hot tap water for a couple minutes to acheive this, since it warms them throughout and not just the surface. Most boas will greet you at the door and take the food as soon as it's in front of them, but if your boa is a little shyer, you'll just have to work out what is best for your individual.

Glad to hear his first feeding went well, I haven't had a new boa constrictor refuse yet, though it does happen. haha

For the bite, yeah, it's possible he just got too much. I don't handle my snakes daily, maybe once or twice a month for 5-15 mins at a time, maybe once or twice a week at most. Some snakes can easily get overwhelmed with daily handling, especially with lots of people around. At least you found out baby snake bites aren't that bad. lol The blood can be surprising, since they bleed more than they should due to the anticoagulants in their saliva. It can also cause a very minor allergic reaction, usually no worse than the bite being slightly red and raised, similar to a mosquito bite but not as bad.

Sometimes boas can panic a bit when getting them out. Generally, so long as you let them anchor themselves to you and keep them feeling as secure as possible, they'll calm right down once they come out. The key is letting them grip themselves to you, and take it at their pace getting them untangled. On the other hand, many babies will be flighty/bitey/hissy while they're small. With a couple years to gain some size, they generally gain confidence and tame out, especially as you become more familiar with how to handle them in a way they like. If you have a strong feeling of "I should wait another day to handle," definitely follow that intuition, though. If you're worried about getting bit, it can make the snake nervous, too.

Sounds like everything is falling into place as you get a feel for him, here's to many more years together!
Appreciate the time you spent to address the needs of caring for my 1st Boa! As for food size, I just went with the size my breeder was feeding and what others on this forum had suggested. I haven't taken a notice of the 'bump' size after he's swallowed because I've always tried to avoid disturbing him; especially since he drags the food into his hide. Maybe that's the cautious BP owner in me. Anyways, I would definitely like to avoid 'power feeding' him with too large of prey because of health concerns and I'm not really looking for a monster size snake either

Good suggestions on handling techniques. My BP is so docile and lethargic which makes him easy to handle but the BOA is very inquisitive and likes to move about so I often find myself trying to determine which end I should be trying to support. Sometimes he gets a really good anchor with his tail and other times I'm worried that he might slip off my arm. I guess this will come w/ experience.