Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,187

0 members and 3,187 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey

Thread: Building trust?

Thanks

Building trust?

Hello! So for the past few days, my BP (his name is Hector and he's 1 year old) has been hissy, and he lunged at my friend when I was showing Hector to him. He's never been like this. I've had him for about a month now. I did some research and I went to inspect him and saw that his eyes were getting cloudy, and he didn't eat the mouse I had for him earlier. I figured he must be about to shed, so I moistened his enclosure more and gave him fresh water.

I'm about to go on a trip very soon, so I won't be able to see him for 3 weeks. My mom knows how to take care of him and everything, I was just wondering how I should approach him when I get back home. I still want us to have our close bond but I haven't been away from this long. I wanted to post here to ask how I could get him used to being handled again?

Thanks

Building trust?

Sounds like he’s fussy because of his shed. I would bet he’ll be just fine when you get back from your trip and he’s through with the shedding process. Don’t sweat it. I’ve gone weeks without holding my snakes and they’ve never had a major personality change as a result.

He might be a little defensive at first when he’s in his cage (if a giant woke me up in the middle of the night I would be too!), but just get him out like normal, hold him for 15-20 minutes (long enough for him to calm down and get used to the fact that he’s being held), then do it again the next day. The only way to get them used to being handled is to handle them. And more importantly, the more you interact with Hector the more you will build your own confidence and trust in him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by alittleFREE; 08-06-2018 at 11:24 PM.

- Summer

0.1 Bearded Dragon ("Reka")
    0.1 California Kingsnake ("Cleo")
    0.1 Cinnamon Spider Het. Albino Ball Python ("Syd")
    1.0 Hypo Bredl’s Python (“Oz”)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Re: Building trust?

Quote Originally Posted by alittleFREE View Post
    but just get him out like normal, hold him for 15-20 minutes (long enough for him to calm down and get used to the fact that he’s being held), then do it again the next day. The only way to get them used to being handled is to handle them. And more importantly, the more you interact with Hector the more you will build your own confidence and trust in him.

This isn't accurate. Over-handling these snakes also causes stress and can make them more defensive, and continued over-handling can potentially make them ill. Short, calm handling sessions for 5-10 minutes every other day even would be fine. End each handling session on a good note.

As for his hissiness, it could be that he's in shed, or it could be your husbandry is off and he isn't feeling secure or comfortable in his cage. You've only had him a month, so he could be gradually becoming stressed due to incorrect husbandry. You can post your setup here if you want.
    It could also just be his personality in shed, some snakes get a bit hissy when in blue.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 08-06-2018 at 11:40 PM.

Thanks

Building trust?

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    This isn't accurate. Over-handling these snakes also causes stress and can make them more defensive, and continued over-handling can potentially make them ill. Short, calm handling sessions for 5-10 minutes every other day even would be fine. End each handling session on a good note.
    I was talking about the owner. The more the OWNER interacts with the snake, the more THEY will trust the snake. That was what sounded like the real issue in the original post - not that the snake was being aggressive or doing anything out of the ordinary, but that the owner was insecure about relationship with the snake. Interacting doesn’t just mean handling - interacting means feeding them, cleaning their cage, changing their water, watching their activity.

15-20 minutes a couple of times a week is not “overhandling.” I guess my use of the phrase “the next day” set off a red flag, but that was misinterpreted - I was just trying to imply the passage of time (as in, this stuff won’t happen over night).

I was merely suggesting that over time and with repeated interaction, confidence will be built (on THEIR end, not the snakes) and they will be less worried about things like leaving the snake alone for a few days (as I said in my post, I go weeks without holding my snakes, because I trust THEM and have built up an understanding of their behavior over the course of my caring for them).

Last edited by alittleFREE; 08-07-2018 at 12:03 AM.

- Summer

0.1 Bearded Dragon ("Reka")
    0.1 California Kingsnake ("Cleo")
    0.1 Cinnamon Spider Het. Albino Ball Python ("Syd")
    1.0 Hypo Bredl’s Python (“Oz”)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Building trust?

How much does Hector weigh? At a year old, and at proper size, mice are probably way too small for him. He could be hungry.

I agree that there can be many reasons why Hector seems off, including shedding, improper husbandry, he's still getting used to his surroundings, etc.

If it's just that he isn't used to handling, short handling sessions, every other day, will help improve trust between the two of you and, in most cases, will get a BP to calm down. As stated if you have him out every day and for long handling sessions, that will stress him out and be counter productive, especially with BP's. My BP, Shayna, will let me know pretty much when it's time to go back. She tells me enough if out for more than 15 minutes or so. I also do not take her out more than 3 times a week as she stresses more easily than my other snakes (corns and a BCI).

Shayna, my 6 year old BP, has always been super friendly and calm and docile. However, after a couple weeks and a three good feedings in her new surroundings (when I first got her), she began hissing at me when I went to pick her up. She did it three times I went to pick her up in a row (over multiple days), either wanting to be left alone, or feeling comfortable in her tank, wanted to stay there, was territorial, or whatever. I called her bluff and picked her up each day and continued to work with her with short, but confident on my part, and totally supporting her, handling sessions. Other than those 3 times, she's never hissed, struck, etc. at me. We learned to trust each other and that I wasn't a threat and she got bigger was less scared, etc.

What enclosure is Hector in?

How much does he weigh?

What, exactly are you feeding (rodent, size, F/T or live, etc)?

How often are you feeding?

What are temps in the tank (taken with a temp gun) - Hot side, ambient temps, and cool side temps.

What heating devices are being used and what is regulating them (what type of thermostat)?

What is humidity?

Is your mom feeding Hector while you are away? Cleaning up waste, etc?

Answering these questions will help us understand if something else is going on and that you are doing what's best for Hector. If not, that could entirely explain his behavior. If so, then we can narrow it down.