Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,945

2 members and 2,943 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Tank size questions

So I want my Lucy to be happy and healthy. What is the proper tank size for a baby or small juvenile. I have her in a 30 gal now but I bought a 55 gal tank and wanted to know if this setup would be best. I want her to have a hide on warm side and hide on cool side with water bowl in middle. The 30 gal doesn't really have space to allow this but I'm afraid the 55 is too big for her right now. Just wanted to get some opinions before I did anything. Lucy is maybe 18 to 20 in he's long now so still pretty small

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Tank size questions

Quote Originally Posted by ckenney35 View Post
    So I want my Lucy to be happy and healthy. What is the proper tank size for a baby or small juvenile. I have her in a 30 gal now but I bought a 55 gal tank and wanted to know if this setup would be best. I want her to have a hide on warm side and hide on cool side with water bowl in middle. The 30 gal doesn't really have space to allow this but I'm afraid the 55 is too big for her right now. Just wanted to get some opinions before I did anything. Lucy is maybe 18 to 20 in he's long now so still pretty small

Whenever they are small smaller is better. If you aren’t able to fit 2 hides in a water bowl in a 30 gallon for a baby/juvenile ball Python then you are using hides that are too large.

Ball Pythons like small spaces to feel secure so the hide should fit them pretty snuggly, not a lot of wiggle room. When they are older and more comfortable you can move them to the 55 gallon if you want but for now it would be much to big. Even the 30 gallon might be to large if you don’t fill it up with plants and such to make them feel secure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BluuWolf For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-03-2018),Hannahshissyfix (08-01-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BluuWolf View Post
    Whenever they are small smaller is better. If you aren’t able to fit 2 hides in a water bowl in a 30 gallon for a baby/juvenile ball Python then you are using hides that are too large.

Ball Pythons like small spaces to feel secure so the hide should fit them pretty snuggly, not a lot of wiggle room. When they are older and more comfortable you can move them to the 55 gallon if you want but for now it would be much to big. Even the 30 gallon might be to large if you don’t fill it up with plants and such to make them feel secure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I bought a bunch of the fake plants and leaves and put them throughout the tank. There's not much area showing when she ventures out of her hide. I bought the smallest hide they had at our local petsmart which was a Mayan temple looking thing and she seems to like it but there's no way I could fit two of those and the extra large water bowl I bought her. I wanted to be sure she had plenty of water available

Thanks

That Mayan temple thing at petsmart is way too big for a baby or juvenile BP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    0.1 Normal ball python Astrid
    1.0 banana bumblebee Samwise
    1.0 San Mattais rosy boa Charlie
    1.0 bearded dragon Gimli
    1.0 crested gecko Mr. Lizard

6. The Following User Says Thank You to reptilemom25 For This Useful Post:

BluuWolf (08-01-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reptilemom25 View Post
    That Mayan temple thing at petsmart is way too big for a baby or juvenile BP.

Again as I said, it was the smallest hide they had available, and with our small city petco is the only option we have unless I drive 200 miles to the nearest city which is st louis. She seems to like it well enough she curls up inside and seems to be spread out inside it when I lift it to take her out and handle her

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    They want to be tight in their hides. Egg tight. My smaller babies start out in a plastic shoe box with yogurt containers as hides. As the grow they move up to deli cup sized things. Then the bottom of a milk carton. Then a milk carton cut lengthwise. After they outgrow that most don't need the hide but the ones that do end up with cat litter boxes.

You are going to spend a lot of money in hides for the first 2 years buying the right sized ones from stores. If you want them to look nice, get inventive and use things like flowerpots. The snake doesn't care what it looks like as long as it is tight, dark, and the right temperature.
    Last edited by JodanOrNoDan; 08-01-2018 at 06:04 PM.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

BluuWolf (08-02-2018),Bogertophis (08-03-2018),Craiga 01453 (08-03-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    They want to be tight in their hides. Egg tight. My smaller babies start out in a plastic shoe box with yogurt containers as hides. As the grow they move up to deli cup sized things. Then the bottom of a milk carton. Then a milk carton cut lengthwise. After they outgrow that most don't need the hide but the ones that do end up with cat litter boxes.

You are going to spend a lot of money in hides for the first 2 years buying the right sized ones from stores. If you want them to look nice, get inventive and use things like flowerpots. The snake doesn't care what it looks like as long as it is tight, dark, and the right temperature.
    Here is what her setup looks like now, what all should I change then

Thanks

I would go buy a plastic tub, a little bigger than shoebox size, add holes, and either make 2 hides that she just fits in or buy some of the zilla durable dens
    https://reptileslounge.com/products/...SABEgLug_D_BwE

Get a smaller water dish, and set up with substrate, heat mat, temp/humidity meter, and thermostat. It’s all you should need for a good while.

1.0 bearded dragon Gimli

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reptilemom25 For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (08-03-2018),JodanOrNoDan (08-01-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reptilemom25 View Post
    I would go buy a plastic tub, a little bigger than shoebox size, add holes, and either make 2 hides that she just fits in or buy some of the zilla durable dens
    https://reptileslounge.com/products/...SABEgLug_D_BwE

Get a smaller water dish, and set up with substrate, heat mat, temp/humidity meter, and thermostat. It’s all you should need for a good while.

There is substrate in the tank I just bought some moss to put in tank cause I'm having trouble keeping humidity around 60% and I have 2 thermometers and humidity gauge already. Why would I need a smaller water dish? The large one should also help with humidity.

Thanks

Tank size questions

Quote Originally Posted by ckenney35 View Post
    There is substrate in the tank I just bought some moss to put in tank cause I'm having trouble keeping humidity around 60% and I have 2 thermometers and humidity gauge already. Why would I need a smaller water dish? The large one should also help with humidity.

Yes, tanks are VERY difficult to maintain humidity in. You would have a much better time in a tub. I realize you have substrate in the tank, just listing things you would need for a tub setup. It really is MUCH easier to maintain temps and humidity in a tub, hence the smaller dish for a smaller space. Are you using a thermoSTAT in addition to a thermoMETER? If not I would get one ASAP. Unregulated heat sources are a recipe for burns.

Last edited by reptilemom25; 08-01-2018 at 09:57 PM.
    1.0 bearded dragon Gimli

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast