Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,171

2 members and 3,169 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts
    So now we know my temps were a couple degrees too warm but do we even think that would cause such a deformity? I did also get one kinked baby in each clutch. No deaths though, they all were alive.

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    Ah, more data. I am going with heat. That said, I had a single kinked baby this year. No heat spikes that I know of. Everything else has hatched well but I have four clutches to go.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

rufretic (08-01-2018)

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts

Re: What causes stubby tails?

Quote Originally Posted by rufretic View Post
    So now we know my temps were a couple degrees too warm but do we even think that would cause such a deformity? I did also get one kinked baby in each clutch. No deaths though, they all were alive.
    I still find it odd that if it were only related to your heat being a few degrees higher it would cause the same defect in so many babies. with thousands of other breeders out there using slightly different temps or just faulty incubators it seems it would be a commonly documented result of temps being too high at this point. I guess you'll never know for sure but adjusting the temp for your next clutches can be a starting point to rule that out.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hannahshissyfix For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-01-2018),rufretic (08-01-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahshissyfix View Post
    I still find it odd that if it were only related to your heat being a few degrees higher it would cause the same defect in so many babies. with thousands of other breeders out there using slightly different temps or just faulty incubators it seems it would be a commonly documented result of temps being too high at this point. I guess you'll never know for sure but adjusting the temp for your next clutches can be a starting point to rule that out.

I actually agree with you, it just doesn’t make sense that nobody has seen this before. The problem is, I can’t find anything else to blame. It will be interesting to see if the 3rd clutch has the same issue. If it does then there is no doubt something is very wrong with this incubator setup. I would like to test another clutch with the new adjusted temps before I scrap this incubator but I’m not sure when my next clutch will come and I’d hate to risk multiple clutches if I have to wait until next season. I guess for now I need to just wait and see how this last clutch turns out.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rufretic For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-01-2018)

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rufretic View Post
    I actually agree with you, it just doesn’t make sense that nobody has seen this before. The problem is, I can’t find anything else to blame. It will be interesting to see if the 3rd clutch has the same issue. If it does then there is no doubt something is very wrong with this incubator setup. I would like to test another clutch with the new adjusted temps before I scrap this incubator but I’m not sure when my next clutch will come and I’d hate to risk multiple clutches if I have to wait until next season. I guess for now I need to just wait and see how this last clutch turns out.
    The other confusing part is you said it was a used incubator that previously caused no issues. Im almost more leaning towards something with your adults via chemical exposure, water, diet. Any switch in feeder rat supply? Maybe some odd chance the feeder rats were on a poor diet that passed on some vitamin deficiency? What do you wash your tubs with? Local water supply have something going on with it?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hannahshissyfix For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-01-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahshissyfix View Post
    The other confusing part is you said it was a used incubator that previously caused no issues. Im almost more leaning towards something with your adults via chemical exposure, water, diet. Any switch in feeder rat supply? Maybe some odd chance the feeder rats were on a poor diet that passed on some vitamin deficiency? What do you wash your tubs with? Local water supply have something going on with it?

I don’t use chemicals to clean, only water. No change in rats that I know of. I’m on well water so I suppose the water could have an issue, I should get it tested. My family and I drink bottled water so I have not had the well water tested in years.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rufretic For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-01-2018)

Thanks
    Well water eh? Pesticides can seep into well water and are known to cause birth defects.....

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-01-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alter-Echo View Post
    Well water eh? Pesticides can seep into well water and are known to cause birth defects.....
    Pesticides aren't the only risk, all sorts of things can be an issue, stuff like heavy metals, nitrites/nitrates, etc. No telling the effects on snakes.

https://www.epa.gov/privatewells/pot...-their-impacts

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alter-Echo View Post
    I don’t use chemicals on my property but who knows what the neighbors are putting on their lawns.

Thanks

So far this third clutch is perfect, 2 out of 5 so far. It’s weird but seems that extra degree or two was enough to cause birth defects. If it was only one clutch I would of said it was just a genetic thing but it looks like it was just incubation error on my part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast