Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,272

1 members and 3,271 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    So guess i missed it but what cage and size did you end up going with? Also did you decide to keep Gerald or is he still for sale?

I know when i was debating on selling Caesar due to me being stupid about issues, I kept backing out when people were offering to buy him. I just couldnt get rid of him as he is such a nice boy, made it too hard when he would sit at the front of the cage and just stare at me until i opened a door and started petting him lol.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 09-07-2018 at 02:21 AM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: Retic cage thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    So guess i missed it but what cage and size did you end up going with? Also did you decide to keep Gerald or is he still for sale?

I know when i was debating on selling Caesar due to me being stupid about issues, I kept backing out when people were offering to buy him. I just couldnt get rid of him as he is such a nice boy, made it too hard when he would sit at the front of the cage and just stare at me until i opened a door and started petting him lol.
    Cage is two halves 48x32x42 each that will connect for an 8’ long cage.
    Gerald is still for sale but no interest is being shown. I bought a pair of full arm length leather animal handling gloves for when I need to deal with him because he is definitely not the nice boy that Caesar is. At least not at the moment. He refused food the other night too, definitely in full breed mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Gerald is still for sale but no interest is being shown. I bought a pair of full arm length leather animal handling gloves for when I need to deal with him because he is definitely not the nice boy that Caesar is. At least not at the moment. He refused food the other night too, definitely in full breed mode

He should calm buddy at least I hope.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (09-07-2018)

Thanks

Wow thats a huge cage. look forward to seeing it set up.

I bet Gerald will mellow out once his testosterone driven rage subsides lol. And yeah he must be in full on mode. Even when Caesar wanted a girlfriend, he didnt pass up a free meal haha. Also could be the smell of Phyllis is pushing him over the top. I dont have a female retic so that might have helped. Good luck with him and hopefully he calms down soon so you keep him. Like i said, i like Gerald. After seeing him as a baby, it made me want one lol.

Caesar shed this morning and was out front to greet me lol. I opened his door and he literally laid on my arm with his head while i petted him for about 10 mins. Then i guess that was enough of a greeting as he climbed on the freezer to check it out and then decided he wanted to come out and play. He is pretty darn big and heavy now lol. Super dwarf my butt haha. He's gotta be about 8 feet now.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 09-07-2018 at 10:47 AM.

Thanks

Wow thats a huge cage. look forward to seeing it set up.

I bet Gerald will mellow out once his testosterone driven rage subsides lol. And yeah he must be in full on mode. Even when Caesar wanted a girlfriend, he didnt pass up a free meal haha. Also could be the smell of Phyllis is pushing him over the top. I dont have a female retic so that might have helped. Good luck with him and hopefully he calms down soon so you keep him. Like i said, i like Gerald. After seeing him as a baby, it made me want one lol.

Caesar shed this morning and was out front to greet me lol. I opened his door and he literally laid on my arm with his head while i petted him for about 10 mins. Then i guess that was enough of a greeting as he climbed on the freezer to check it out and then decided he wanted to come out and play. He is pretty darn big and heavy now lol. Super dwarf my butt haha. He's gotta be about 8 feet now.
    I miss typed, it’s 2x (48x32x*24) not 42” tall lol.
    I sure hope Gerry either calms down or takes food soon because now in addition to slashing himself twice he’s smashing the hell out of his face and it’s all swollen.
    I. Can’t. Ever. Win.
    And yeah, super dwarf my ass... Phyllis is now almost as big around as my calf and at least 10’. I’ll get a better idea of her length once she’s stretched out in her new cage soon

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    10' is super small for a retic, I wish breeders wouldn't tell people SDs are in the 5-7' range because while that can happen it's not the norm.

looking forward to seeing this mansion, I mean cage, when you get it all together! it's going to be lovely
    For the Horde!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (09-07-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    10' is super small for a retic, I wish breeders wouldn't tell people SDs are in the 5-7' range because while that can happen it's not the norm.

looking forward to seeing this mansion, I mean cage, when you get it all together! it's going to be lovely
    Couldn’t agree more. Absolutely 10’ is a tiny retic compared to a mainland. From what I can gather through obsessive researching of all things SD is that 6-10’ is more the average size of a pure SD. People who claim the 5’- 7’ average are either not feeding their animals or wildly underestimate their measurements/can’t measure their snakes. I’m sure some bloodlines do indeed stay much smaller but even Phyllis’s parents were said to be 6-7’. Id be curious to see what they actually look like stretched out against a tape measure.
    Also wouldn’t be surprised if through years of captive propagation of these island locales that due to more steady food supply, and more nutrient rich feeders, that their potential for larger growth is more easily achieved. Just a theory though.
    I’ll be sure to flood this thread with pics once I get the new snake chateau up and running! Got lights and RHP, just need to make a cart for it so i can roll it around to get behind it when needed. Think I’m gonna connect three furniture dollys with 8’x1”x3” boards and call it good.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (09-09-2018),Stearns84 (09-07-2018),Team Slytherin (09-10-2018)

Thanks

Couldn’t agree more. Absolutely 10’ is a tiny retic compared to a mainland. From what I can gather through obsessive researching of all things SD is that 6-10’ is more the average size of a pure SD. People who claim the 5’- 7’ average are either not feeding their animals or wildly underestimate their measurements/can’t measure their snakes. I’m sure some bloodlines do indeed stay much smaller but even Phyllis’s parents were said to be 6-7’. Id be curious to see what they actually look like stretched out against a tape measure.
    Also wouldn’t be surprised if through years of captive propagation of these island locales that due to more steady food supply, and more nutrient rich feeders, that their potential for larger growth is more easily achieved. Just a theory though.
    I’ll be sure to flood this thread with pics once I get the new snake chateau up and running! Got lights and RHP, just need to make a cart for it so i can roll it around to get behind it when needed. Think I’m gonna connect three furniture dollys with 8’x1”x3” boards and call it good.

Can't wait to see your enclosures all setup!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Tina - 0.1 Pastel Ball Python
    Gene - 1.0 Platinum Dwarf Retic

Thanks

I miss typed, it’s 2x (48x32x*24) not 42” tall lol.
    I sure hope Gerry either calms down or takes food soon because now in addition to slashing himself twice he’s smashing the hell out of his face and it’s all swollen.
    I. Can’t. Ever. Win.
    And yeah, super dwarf my ass... Phyllis is now almost as big around as my calf and at least 10’. I’ll get a better idea of her length once she’s stretched out in her new cage soon

Caesar did the same thing when he wanted a girl. He would push like crazy and leave slime trails all over the corner of the glass where it met the center brace.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (09-09-2018)

Thanks

Caesar did the same thing when he wanted a girl. He would push like crazy and leave slime trails all over the corner of the glass where it met the center brace.
    Dude it’s not even limited to the corners here. Literally the entirety of the glass and every square inch of surface area in the enclosure.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast