Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,051

1 members and 2,050 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,559
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Advice needed.

So after my girlfriend and I broke up, she has left 4 reptiles in my care that belong to her. Not to mention some of her personal belongings. I have done everything I can to get her to come get them and provide her access. More than 2 weeks have passed and now her phone is disconnected. Last we talked she was going to come get them. No show. I also reached out to the pastor of her church to let him tell her she needs to make a decision or pick them up.

At what point are they no longer hers? I am trying to be nice and giving her opportunity. I know I can not do much else but care for them. I just don't want to spend months caring for them and then she show up out of the blue one day and demand them back.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Geez, sorry to hear you're dealing with this. Breakups are never easy, but situations like this certainly don't help.
    Kind of a tough one too. I mean, legally, they're still hers, but it sounds like they're better off in your care. I know if anything ever happened with me and my girl, my animals would be my top priority when moving.

I don't have a clue what the "right" answer is. I wish you the best and hope it all works out.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts

Re: Advice needed.

As said there really isn't a right answer. Were the reptiles hers before the relationship or did she maybe get them because you were into reptiles? During the relationship who took care of them? Have you tried others means of contacting her besides he phone and the pastor, such as facebook or her parents? Maybe she just needs some time to get her life in order after the breakup before she can properly care for the animals.
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 67temp For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-25-2018)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When it comes to animals they are considered property however in most state their are specific laws when it comes to animal abandonment, care etc

To prove abandonment you need to report the animal(s) as being abandoned to animal control, after a certain amount of time (pretty short) if the owner (ex-girlfriend) does not claim her animals you will be able to legally take ownership if that is what you want.

Without paper trail or proof you will just take care of them for free until she decides to get them as they will remain her property.
    Deborah Stewart

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-25-2018),Lord Sorril (07-25-2018),tttaylorrr (07-25-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
    As said there really isn't a right answer. Were the reptiles hers before the relationship or did she maybe get them because you were into reptiles? During the relationship who took care of them? Have you tried others means of contacting her besides he phone and the pastor, such as facebook or her parents? Maybe she just needs some time to get her life in order after the breakup before she can properly care for the animals.
    They were all acquired after we were together. Truth is that all but one I paid for. I have done 95% of all the care for them and now 100%. I don't know he parents and last I herd she moved in with another guy. Wishing her the best there. LOL. I am not upset about her being gone other than wanting her to get her things and animals or the animals become my property so I can move forward as if they were my own. I will always provide the best care I can. I don't think she can afford to care for them. There is also a dog that is hers that is still at my house. I think this is very irresponsible of her and might have to take legal action to solidify it. Just trying to be fair and give a grace period. Just not sure how much longer I should wait?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    When it comes to animals they are considered property however in most state their are specific laws when it comes to animal abandonment, care etc

To prove abandonment you need to report the animal(s) as being abandoned to animal control, after a certain amount of time (pretty short) if the owner (ex-girlfriend) does not claim her animals you will be able to legally take ownership if that is what you want.

Without paper trail or proof you will just take care of them for free until she decides to get them as they will remain her property.
    So the question is, If I do report to animal control, will they take them while ownership is in limbo or work with me keeping them and caring for them?

Thanks
    If you paid for them and took care of them then I'd say they're yours. But, just in case I think it's a good idea to document this and check into the animal abandonment angle.

If there are animal abandonment laws in your area I'd follow their guidelines. Otherwise personally I'd probably give it 30 days unless you know for sure there's some issue where she can't come to collect like being in the hospital, out of town, etc... I'd probably allow a bit longer on the dog (which sounds like it's more hers) than the reptiles which you paid for.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dboeren For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-25-2018)

Thanks

Ok, just checked with Texas animal control in my county and was told that after 3 days they are my legal responsibility. He said he did not know if ownership was the same as being accountable for them. That is all pets.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-25-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dboeren View Post
    If you paid for them and took care of them then I'd say they're yours. But, just in case I think it's a good idea to document this and check into the animal abandonment angle.

If there are animal abandonment laws in your area I'd follow their guidelines. Otherwise personally I'd probably give it 30 days unless you know for sure there's some issue where she can't come to collect like being in the hospital, out of town, etc... I'd probably allow a bit longer on the dog (which sounds like it's more hers) than the reptiles which you paid for.
    The dog was a gift from me. As far as I know, she just left and moved in with another guy. I have no way to contact her outside talking with her pastor.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,874 Times in 4,783 Posts
    Did she have her mail forwarded?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-25-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast