Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,351

1 members and 3,350 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Internet Peeps Startled by Natural Animal Camouflage

here's another snake that's gone viral on the internetz - a Banded Rock Snake that made it's way to a Texas theme park. park employees snapped it's pix, safely relocated it and posted the pix on it's FB page w/ a neat and educational description of the snake. yet the internet audience now questions the legitimacy of the pix and rattlesnake's color ("Is it photoshopped?"). other's questions if the sidewalk is safe to walk on b/c of it's color and camo. all these peeps just need to understand that alotta times we share the same land as these beautiful animals, give them space and respect.

story here: https://www.ndtv.com/offbeat/is-this...-viral-1884878
    'Is This Photoshopped?' Pic Of Light Grey Rattlesnake Goes Viral

A picture of a light grey rattlesnake has left many on Facebook both amazed and scared. Wyler Aerial Tramway - Texas Parks & Wildlife posted a picture of the snake on their Facebook page recently and it has since collected quite a few reactions from users of the social networking site.

"We had this little friend come and cool down by one of the doors at the park; it is a Rock Rattlesnake (Crotalus lepidus)," says the post shared along with a picture of the snake. It was about two-feet long and found in El Paso, Texas.

Since being posted on July 11, the rattlesnake's picture has collected over 7,300 shares and more than 3,000 reactions. While some people wondered if the picture was a real one, others couldn't help share their thoughts on the snake.

"Is that real? I never seen one that color," says one Facebook user. "Is this photoshopped?" asked another.

"Beautiful Rattlesnake, I lived in many parts of Texas growing up, have caught rattlesnakes over 13' long and seen I thought every species of them in my lifetime, this is the first I've even heard of this type," says a comment on the post. "I have never seen a rattlesnake that color, looks pretty cool," says another.

Through the comments on the post, a staffer from the park explained that this was a normal color for rock rattlesnakes in the area. They also added that such snakes are quite common but since they blend well with surroundings, they aren't noticed too often. Rattlesnakes are venomous as well.

That's probably why a Facebook user asked: "What if someone automatically steps on one; they're so camouflaged? Hospital?"

"Yes, go to the hospital right away," is the answer by the staffer.

The snake was eventually relocated by the park's team.
    more here: https://www.greensboro.com/news/us_w...9ad50be03.html
    A white rattlesnake? Texas park posts photo of viper that blends in with sidewalks

A white rattlesnake spotted Wednesday at a Texas park has produced a collective shudder across the country, after a photo of the snake was shared thousands of times on Facebook.

It’s not an albino. Called a banded rock rattlesnake, the seldom seen species of pit viper has a spotty distribution in only three states along the Mexican border (Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas), and is known for having a powerful bite, say experts.

The photo was posted Wednesday by The Wyler Aerial Tramway State Park in Texas, a 195-acre park within the Franklin Mountains. “We had this little friend come and cool down by one of the doors at the park,” said the post, adding “rattlesnakes won’t strike unless provoked.”

ReptilesMagazine.com says ”banded rock rattlesnakes are very cryptic in nature and not commonly observed because of their coloration, small size and speed.”

They typically grow to only about 2 feet in length, according to the Smithsonian National Zoo, which means the one found at the park appears to be bigger than average.

They also have a “potent venom,” according to SnakesOfAz.com. “If encountered it should be left alone,” says the website.

Reaction to the idea of snake that blends in with concrete has grown steadily as media outlets have carried stories of the photo. The park’s Facebook post had been shared more than 6,400 times in two days and drawn 1,000-plus comments, many expressing fear.

At least one commenter suggested the snake was a new rattlesnake-python hybred.

“Now a brotha ain’t even safe on concrete?!” wrote Keven Lucas in response to photo.

“Nope, Nope, Nope!!!!!!” posted Giselle Miranda Martino.

“Shiver!!! All I’m gonna say !!! Oh and EEEEKKK,” said Carol Ann Duncan Graham.

“Now they’re getting scary,” posted Craig South.

“Beautiful and deadly. Man I have never seen color on a rattlesnake in my life,” posted Pebbles Adrian.
    original FB post here if u wanna read the comments or share it, etc. : https://www.facebook.com/WylerAerial...type=3&theater
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-24-2018),Craiga 01453 (07-24-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Re: Internet Peeps Startled by Natural Animal Camouflage

What incredible timing! I was actually just at the Dallas Zoo this past weekend and saw one of these guys in their reptile exhibits!

The one they had looked pretty small and presumably young, and it astounded me how similar to the alterna phase Texas gray banded kingsnakes (which I own one, the kingsnake that is)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-24-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    So glad that beautiful rattlebrat got relocated safely & served to teach a few along the way.

Thanks

Re: Internet Peeps Startled by Natural Animal Camouflage

"At least one commenter suggested the snake was a new rattlesnake-python hybred."
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa - Sir Hiss🎩🐍
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python - Exzahrah
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Nymeria
    0.1 Suriname Red Tail BCC- Sascha
    0.1 WT Ball Python- Ariana
    1.0 Bumblebee Ball Python- Fabio

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

"​Normal is just a setting on the washing machine..."

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Avsha531 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-24-2018),richardhind1972 (07-24-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts
    Hot dog! What a gorgeous animal!! I would have been sick to my stomach if they killed it, so glad for a happy ending.

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    That is a beautiful animal! Stunning!
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Another gem, thanks for sharing, Ax.