Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,017

0 members and 3,017 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

Indecision paralysis

I'm actually shopping for a Blood Python or Sumatran Python but I figure Balls have so many morphs that you guys must deal with this issue a lot.

So the problem is, how do you choose just one? There are so many different awesome looks, I'm finding it hard to narrow down my want list. I feel like I'm just spinning my wheels looking at the same snake pics over and over and not making any real progress while candidates sell off and hoping something new and amazing will pop onto the radar but there are of course no guarantees. There are far fewer specimens on the market compared to balls or boas and I feel kind of constrained by this.

Ideally I'd just get 2-3 and feel like I'd covered the bases but right now my wife only wants me to get one. There may be a chance to expand later but due to size there will never be more than a few.

Thanks for any help!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You go here http://www.worldofballpythons.com/morphs/? , you look and you pick what YOU like because YOU will take care of it for 30 years.

Some people like them bright, some like them dark, some like them busy some like them reduced there is something for everyone.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 07-24-2018 at 12:32 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-24-2018),C.Marie (07-25-2018),Craiga 01453 (07-24-2018),dboeren (07-24-2018),Snakeydoodles (07-24-2018)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    If you are not breeding it can be simplified greatly.

1. Get an easy feeder.

2. If you like to handle your animals, what it looks like is last on the list. Find one with an attitude that works for you. Males in general have a better disposition than females.

3. Decide how big you want your animal to be. If you want something on the larger side, find a large line and get a female. If you want something smaller find a small line and get a male.

4. Now worry about what it looks like. If I were you and looks are a big concern, buy an adult snake. This way you know you are not getting baby colors. Many animals pop out of the egg looking like a million bucks but have changed greatly by the time they mature.

This should narrow down the choices.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-24-2018),C.Marie (07-25-2018),Craiga 01453 (07-24-2018),dboeren (07-24-2018),Snakeydoodles (07-24-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: Indecision paralysis

Quote Originally Posted by dboeren View Post
    I'm actually shopping for a Blood Python or Sumatran Python but I figure Balls have so many morphs that you guys must deal with this issue a lot.

So the problem is, how do you choose just one? There are so many different awesome looks, I'm finding it hard to narrow down my want list. I feel like I'm just spinning my wheels looking at the same snake pics over and over and not making any real progress while candidates sell off and hoping something new and amazing will pop onto the radar but there are of course no guarantees. There are far fewer specimens on the market compared to balls or boas and I feel kind of constrained by this.

Ideally I'd just get 2-3 and feel like I'd covered the bases but right now my wife only wants me to get one. There may be a chance to expand later but due to size there will never be more than a few.

Thanks for any help!
    Taking your time to pick the one that is best for you is more important than just getting something.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (07-25-2018),dboeren (07-24-2018),Snakeydoodles (07-24-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,504 Times in 2,692 Posts

I feel your pain DB and I think it encompasses many species and effects many keepers . There are just too many beautiful snakes out there and it's really hard to choose just one. Especially since, like Deb said, you've got to care for this animal for a very long time and unfortunately we can't keep 'em all.
    I recently went through the exact same thing when trying to pick out a boa and scrub python. I saw so many snakes I liked but I couldn't move forward on any particular critter. With the boa it came down to which one spoke to me most. I figured I'd know 'The One' when I saw it and when I saw this one I knew. There were other boas that were smokin' hot, and some were probably nicer than mine, but even though my guy wasn't necessarily the most beautiful one he was the most special one to me. He came in today and it's all love already.
    With the Scrub it was more a matter of supply and demand. I initially started looking for a Southern Scrub, and saw some really nice ones, but I came across a picture of a Sorong / Barneck and totally changed course. There was one on the market that was really nice but didn't have the heavier banding that I was looking for so I passed thinking something nicer would come along. Well it didn't. And the babies that were coming down the line were gonna be quite pricey. I kept going back to the picture of the original Barneck and knew I wasn't going to find anything much better anytime soon at a reasonable price. A few weeks had passed but I reached out to the breeder on a whim and surprisingly the animal hadn't sold. I locked him down immediately and I'm so glad I did. I got him today and he is AMAZING. I couldn't have made a better choice.
    All in all I'd say know your budget, shop around, and follow your instincts. You can't lose with any animal you choose because I'm sure they're all really nice. And worst case scenario, you have to buy more snakes.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (07-25-2018),Craiga 01453 (07-24-2018),dboeren (07-24-2018),Snakeydoodles (07-24-2018),Sonny1318 (07-24-2018)

Thanks

I agree with everything previously mentioned by everyone above. Get something you like and this is a long term investment so do not rush your decision. Both Short-tail and Ball pythons live for a long time.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ryu80 For This Useful Post:

dboeren (07-24-2018)

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies so far.

Handleability is definitely a priority for me. Originally I was planning to attend the Daytona show where I hoped to be able to see and handle more snakes in person but as it turns out my parents are coming into town that weekend and I'm not going to make it after all which is leading me to rely more on online pics.

Feeding isn't normally a problem with Bloods as it is with Balls so I'm not too concerned on that point. I also have not heard of any difference in attitude between males and females but it is true that females tend to grow a bit larger than males. For one or possibly a couple of snakes I don't think the size difference is going to be that big a factor for me.

I think perhaps my best bet at this point is to visit one of the breeders in person who is located about 5 hours away. This way I can see and interact with multiple snakes in person to try to pick out "the right one" and I know he has several that I'm interested in from their pics. There is another in South Carolina that's about 4 hours distant but they seem to have a much smaller number of available animals so I'm not sure if it would be as fruitful.

El-Ziggy - You're spot on about too many cool snakes and not enough space/time/money for all of them. In a perfect world I'd also like a boa, maybe a white-lipped python if I can find a friendly one, and a couple of others. Over time maybe I'll eventually get some of these too but one day at a time right?

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dboeren For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (07-25-2018),Craiga 01453 (07-24-2018),EL-Ziggy (07-24-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    I know the pain as we all do!

you have already received a lot of great responses and I’m def on the you will feel it or know bandwagon!

i think when you know you know. Getting a chance to visit a breeder would be awesome and then help the decision because you just meet them and feel it all out and “connect”

i know this isn’t as easy to come by or doesn’t happen to us all but I seem to come across and fall for a snake with a back story so to speak or those that sort of just come about spontaneously.

Of my current 6 snakes I’ve only met one in person prior to buying the others were mail order. Even the one I met there wasn’t really a choice because there were only 2 and the one wasn’t eating so I obviously took the one who was.

Some if my others were hold backs that then had to go or deals that fell through and became available. Like my pied for instance was supposed to go to some big European breeder and there became an issue with the shipping company and I happened to email the breeeddr the day the deal fell through. So stuff like that sticks with me and gives me a mesnt to be feeling.

But at the end of the day you need it to all come together and be happy and confident with your purchase

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dboeren View Post
    I think perhaps my best bet at this point is to visit one of the breeders in person who is located about 5 hours away. This way I can see and interact with multiple snakes in person to try to pick out "the right one" and I know he has several that I'm interested in from their pics. There is another in South Carolina that's about 4 hours distant but they seem to have a much smaller number of available animals so I'm not sure if it would be as fruitful.
    If you're up for the trip, I think that sounds like a great idea! Also, though, if the 'right one' doesn't catch your eye, don't feel obligated to get one just because you traveled so far.
    For the Horde!