Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,755

2 members and 2,753 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,562
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Dwaf vs BCI: Need Advice

Hey there Ckuhn... I would agree with most of what dakski stated, but I have to vote for the hog island boa's. If you research on this type of boa, you will read in lots of documentation that the hog island boa is one of the most docile boa found (thats not to say that BCI or other types of Boa's are not docile or have good temperment) but hogs are naturally calmer. And their dwarf size is nice too- being that males range from 4-5ft and females 5-5.5ft (6ft max) this is for a TRUE hog island boa's not a mixed type.

With that said, I have 2 female hypo hog island boa's which are sisters. Their parents are that of an hypo CA boa @ 4ft (Dad) and hog island boa @ 5ft (Mom). Both of their temperment was very laid back and never struck unless food was present and their coloring was simply gorgeous. My 2 girls are like handling a puppy...LOL and the only time I got struck was at feeding time and it was clearly my fault!! Both girls have the bright oranges, whites and salmon pink coloring and change from light to darker depending on their moods. There has been a little more of the black speckles seen as they grow, but it's not overkill. They both act different when being handled, the oldest sister is very curious when she is out and likes to move around for a bit then settles down nicely and usually chills on my chest. The younger sister is not at all curious when she is out and simply just chills in my arms. Regardless it's your decision at the end, but don't just dismiss the hog island boa from your list because you said you dislike the black speckles...Take in the big picture and do your research and I promise you will not be disappointed.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jus1More For This Useful Post:

dakski (07-24-2018),richardhind1972 (07-25-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jus1More View Post
    Hey there Ckuhn... I would agree with most of what dakski stated, but I have to vote for the hog island boa's. If you research on this type of boa, you will read in lots of documentation that the hog island boa is one of the most docile boa found (thats not to say that BCI or other types of Boa's are not docile or have good temperment) but hogs are naturally calmer. And their dwarf size is nice too- being that males range from 4-5ft and females 5-5.5ft (6ft max) this is for a TRUE hog island boa's not a mixed type.

With that said, I have 2 female hypo hog island boa's which are sisters. Their parents are that of an hypo CA boa @ 4ft (Dad) and hog island boa @ 5ft (Mom). Both of their temperment was very laid back and never struck unless food was present and their coloring was simply gorgeous. My 2 girls are like handling a puppy...LOL and the only time I got struck was at feeding time and it was clearly my fault!! Both girls have the bright oranges, whites and salmon pink coloring and change from light to darker depending on their moods. There has been a little more of the black speckles seen as they grow, but it's not overkill. They both act different when being handled, the oldest sister is very curious when she is out and likes to move around for a bit then settles down nicely and usually chills on my chest. The younger sister is not at all curious when she is out and simply just chills in my arms. Regardless it's your decision at the end, but don't just dismiss the hog island boa from your list because you said you dislike the black speckles...Take in the big picture and do your research and I promise you will not be disappointed.
    Thanks Jus1More! I definitely have not dismissed the Hog Island but I will say I turned down some that were not visually appealing to 'me' because of too many speckles. I'm hoping that I'll get to see some this weekend at a show to see how truly beautiful they are.

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,179 Times in 3,207 Posts

Hi
    As already said it really does depend on the individual snake not the locality,if there worked with from young they will be pretty chilled from a younger age but even if you get them later you can still turn them round,
    When I first had my ca Hypo img who was a year old she hissed and struck the whole two hour drive back with her it took just over six months of regular tap training and patience and now she’s really nice and chilled
    My Hypo nic was a few months old when I had her and was from a small breeder so was handled regular and although she loves her food is really nice, my corn island nics again had her around 1.5 years old and never been nipped by her but she thinks she’s being fed all the time do hook training was great most of the time I can get her out with just stroking her with my hand as her back ends normally hanging out her hide
    I have Bcl and bci also ,I’ve had more bites from my female bci she was 4 when I had her but she’s quite unpredictable more than any of my other locality or Peruvian longtails
    Hope this helps

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (07-25-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jus1More View Post

Just to be clear and avoid confusion, Hog Island boas are BCI.

They are beautiful and a great option. I have found they tend to be a it more defensive and less calm, but each snake is different. Most boas calm with age no matter the locale.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (07-26-2018)

Thanks
    Just to throw another monkey wrench into your decision: BCL (longicauda) could be an option too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dboeren View Post
    Just to throw another monkey wrench into your decision: BCL (longicauda) could be an option too.
    Yea, I think I'm good with keeping it to a Hog Island and a few other BCIs that I have my eye on. I'm considering visiting the Tri State Reptile Expo in West Virginia this weekend to visit with some breeders I've been in contact with. I know nothing about this show but I hope it's a good one.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Just to be clear and avoid confusion, Hog Island boas are BCI.

They are beautiful and a great option. I have found they tend to be a it more defensive and less calm, but each snake is different. Most boas calm with age no matter the locale.
    Hey there Gio... Like you stated "each snake is different". I was just making the comment with the research I studied in regards to hogs and as well as my own experience with my 2 girls. I once had a sonoran het leopard boa and that thing was very defensive and wanted to rip off my hand every time I went to open the doors of its enclosure. Needless to say, it went back to the breeders and will forever have the nickname of Chain Saw Mary...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12