Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,746

2 members and 2,744 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Some Questions About A New Ball Python

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I just got a new Ball Python, his name is "Allister". I got him from a pet store in my area, and I have some concerns.

Before I get to my concerns, let me give you an overview of his behavior. He uses his hide box as normal for ball pythons. He does not appear to be stressed, as every morning when I open his aquarium to spot clean it (more on this in a moment) he appears alert but not agitated and he does not curl up tightly when I pick him up to move him out of the way or to examine him. In fact, he has never balled up when he and I have had contact, nor has he hissed or struck at me. He is active early in the morning and in the evening, and has a good, relaxed disposition.

Here's the thing, I got him the Sunday before last and I have offered food (pre-killed fuzzies) and he has not eaten. The pet store guy showed me his feeding record and I saw that he ate the Thursday before I got him, and he ate every Thursday prior to that (I take those things for what they're worth) He is displaying "hungry" behaviors, he is active, and he "lurks" in an ambush positon in the evenings ... he has not eaten, but he has pooped 4 times since I brought him home.

I keep his aquarium at (90 on the hot side, 80 on the cool side, 50 - 60 humidity) and I have a digital thermometer / hygrometer that monitors it. It is my opinion that he was constipated (is that even possible ?). I seriously think that when he was at the pet store the temperature he was kept at wasn't optimal and how that he's living with me his new environment has "loosened him up" so-to-speak.

His feces appear in the substrate as milky white clumps, with a little bit of liquid around it. This is normal correct? Apparently he did used to be eating.

I think his not eating now may be attributed to his new conditions, and perhaps his system getting back to "normal". If I am wrong, please let me know, or, if it is abnormal for him to be going to the bathroom so much please, by all means let me know.

Thank you again.

Thanks

Re: Some Questions About A New Ball Python

Ok, well how long have you had him? You shouldnt handle him for atleast a week ( I didnt for 2 weeks .) And that white stuff aint poo, its urates. If you havent had him for long he is a little stressed out and is looking for an escape route.

"Law of the woods, eat or be eaten." - Jack London
    0.1 Adult normal - "Jemima" (Jem)
    1.0 Sub-adult spider - "Spidey"

Thanks

Ah, its urates ... well, he has been drinking his water.

Thank you for the advice.

I got him 8 days ago now. I'll leave him alone to settle down, and continue cleaning his terrarium in an unobtrusive a manner as possible if you think that's alright. I didn't want him in a dirty environment, so if you don't think it would be too much for him if I spot clean the terrarium without directly handling him I'll do that, and I won't pick him up or anything.

I'll try to feed him again this-coming Thursday.

Thank you again.

Thanks

Continue to clean as necessary. Give him some time to settle in to the new environment and he will eat when he is ready. Try to feed Thursday and if he doesn't take then give it another week. Trust me, he won't starve. Good luck!

Thanks

Sounds like you are off to a good start all in all and welcome to the forum!

Their urine is either liquid or those chalky looking lumps, their feces to me anyway basically look like something a kitten or small cat would pass.

With our balls we generally give them a pretty quiet start with little interaction until they are eating a few weeks consistently then we just start with small handling sessions (5 minutes or so) and gradually up it a bit in time, depending on the reaction of that specific snake. Of course, no handling for 48 hours after they eat.

With f/t just make sure it's fully thawed and warmed up well. Some snakes need it to be wiggled in a like-like manner (zombie dance) to promote a strike, others just hit it. Tongs, long tweezers or hemostats are handy to hold the prey when feeding.

There's an absolutely excellent care sheet on this forum if you haven't checked it out yet.

~~Joanna~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

jglass38 ... thank you, I will do that.

Joanna thank you as well for the advice and the kind words.

Allister is the first snake that I have looked after. I read quite a bit about various boids when thinking about getting one ... I liked red-tails and blood pythons but they get so large. When dealing with my landlord there's only so much I can explain. Plus I liked what people said about ball pythons being curious and gentle.

I'm happy with him thus far.

So, the plan is, try feeding again on Thursday evening. No touching / handling. Clean terrarium and provide fresh water every day.

I have a feeling he'll be fine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenatk
    jglass38 ... thank you, I will do that.

Joanna thank you as well for the advice and the kind words.

Allister is the first snake that I have looked after. I read quite a bit about various boids when thinking about getting one ... I liked red-tails and blood pythons but they get so large. When dealing with my landlord there's only so much I can explain. Plus I liked what people said about ball pythons being curious and gentle.

I'm happy with him thus far.

So, the plan is, try feeding again on Thursday evening. No touching / handling. Clean terrarium and provide fresh water every day.

I have a feeling he'll be fine.

It sounds to me like you are doing a good job and have done the necessary research. More people should be like you and research first rather than after they have a snake in their posession. Best of luck and we look forward to hearing how things go.

J

Thanks

Jamie I was just looking at your website, its very nice and you have some good looking snakes up there

The only thing I would have done differently is get a snake from a breeder. I guess the reason why I went with Allister was because he didn't look happy at the pet store. In fact, he looked miserable. And I said to myself "Well, I could probably give him a nice, stable place to live and stuff ... maybe he'd be healthier and happier with me" and so I bought him.

I have a thing for taking in unhealthy / unhappy animals. My cat Marzipan is a rescue, she's feral, we saved her from the dogs when she was a kitten ... One of mom's horses is a retired race horse nobody liked we saved her from (well, you know where they go) ... we're like an "animal repository" of sorts ... we care for them the best we can.

I figured he be happy with me, and I want to make sure he thrives in his new environment. Thank you all very much for your advice, I appreciate it and I will keep you posted.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenatk
    Jamie I was just looking at your website, its very nice and you have some good looking snakes up there

The only thing I would have done differently is get a snake from a breeder. I guess the reason why I went with Allister was because he didn't look happy at the pet store. In fact, he looked miserable. And I said to myself "Well, I could probably give him a nice, stable place to live and stuff ... maybe he'd be healthier and happier with me" and so I bought him.

I have a thing for taking in unhealthy / unhappy animals. My cat Marzipan is a rescue, she's feral, we saved her from the dogs when she was a kitten ... One of mom's horses is a retired race horse nobody liked we saved her from (well, you know where they go) ... we're like an "animal repository" of sorts ... we care for them the best we can.

I figured he be happy with me, and I want to make sure he thrives in his new environment. Thank you all very much for your advice, I appreciate it and I will keep you posted.
    Thanks for the compliment, hopefully there is more to come in the future!

As for purchasing from a pet store (rather than a reptile specialty store or breeder) I think the consensus is that for every unhappy or poorly taken care of snake that is purchased, they will just replace it with another and perpetuate the cycle. But the truth is, I have done the same thing as you and probably will again. I get satisfaction out of caring for animals and watching them thrive and its hard to see them not being taken care of properly. Good luck and we look forward to hearing the outcome!

Jamie

Thanks

Yeah ... Hopefully he'll do better now that he's out of "circulation" and into a stable home. Thank you for the support, keeping reptiles is a very rewarding thing and I am happy that I can be a part of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast