Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,355

4 members and 3,351 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

how about this hot-rock

I was buying a thermo-hygrometer and some repti-bark at petco today, and stumbled across a hot-rock by Exo-terra. I know how much everybody hates hot-rocks, but I think that this one might work. On the box it said it turned off when it reached temps that could cause burns and it heats evenly (no hot spots) Tell me what you guys think. Here's a link-
    http://exo-terra.com/EN/products/heat_wave_rocks_i.html
    1.0 dog - Otis

1.0 ball python - Olaf

Thanks

Re: how about this hot-rock

....stay away from hot rocks....don't waste your money...and reread the entire thread that you made last time...why are you so intent on using a hot rock????
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

Remember there's other reasons - besides the overheating - not to use a hot rock.

Besides, it may be a load of bull and it could also overheat. Don't take the chance!

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Also, do yourself and your snake a favor and take that analog thermometer/hygrometer back to the pet store. It will not accurately measure anything. Go to Walmart and pick up a reliable digital thermometer/hygrometer combo unit with probe. It will save you alot of heartache.

Also, if you want a cheaper, natural substrate, why not try aspen? Covering up that screen top is your main concern. It will help keep in humidity if you do that. Using saran-wrap, glad Press N' Seal, plexiglass or ConTac Paper. Cover up the entire lid except for 4 small triangles at each corner. You can keep good humidity with that covering your lid even if you had paper towels as substrate.

And please, for the sake of your snake's wellbeing and LIFE, do NOT use a hot rock. They can and will burn your snake. Snakes and all reptiles do not have heat sensors like we do. They are very slow to detect heat and will not move, even if they are being burned. They just don't know they are hurting themselves. That's why it is OUR job as an owner to prevent this from happening. Using an undertank heater will prevent this as well as accurately measuring with a digital thermometer.

All of this will be cheaper in the long run because you won't be having to take your snake to the vet because of massive burns all along his belly and sides. Vet bills are not cheap, and if burns are not treated by a vet, a massive infection could easily take your snake away from you.

I really recommend that you do not use a hot rock. They are not an adequate means of heating an enclosure and will do extreme damage to your lovely snake. I would use a combination of an undertank heater(flexwatt is very inexpensive but needs to be used with a dimmer or thermostat as does any other undertank or overhead heat source) on a thermostat as well as a lamp on a dimmer to maintain correct floor and ambient temps.

Cover up that screen top with something other than a damp towel(EEWW) and get proper heating, and you will be set.

That's just my $0.02 as a medical professional though...
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

heat rocks have no way of heating the entire area of the enclosure which is basically what you should be looking at doing.
    www.ASFRats.info African soft-furred rats information and exchange.

www.WarrenReptiles.com
    Website Hosting available see site for details

VP of Cool
    Thanks

Your barking up the wrong tree here fella . Wont find much love for hot rocks here even if it were made by Lockheed Martin
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be ~ Lao Tzu

Thanks

Sorry, meant to post this elsewhere.

Thanks

I tryed to spare everyone the details of why not to use a hot rock but here is my experience:

This is why I would never use hot rocks:

I had a friend that kept a bp with a hot rock....he went to work...later that evening he came home, opened up the enclosure, reached in to take the bp out....as he picked up the ball python of its hot rock, it basically pealed in half and spewed forth all its insides all over the place...it had died from overheating on the hot rock and had been cooking all day at while he was at work....when ball pythons get too hot, they get very sluggish and dont move...the poor thing never stood a chance...it was a horrible mess...

HOT ROCKS ARE NO GOOD!!!
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

Thanks for the input. I was only checkin' if you thought this was bogus or not. That last story definitely changed my view about hot rocks. I have decided on a ceramic heat emitter with some sort of cage over it so he can't touch it. (may use heat bulb) Today, however, I picked up a Flucker's digital thermo-hygrometer and some repti-bark. I really appreciate how all you've put up with my determininity (if that's a word) and successfully changed my mind on the hot rocks. Thanks alot guys!!!!!
    1.0 dog - Otis

1.0 ball python - Olaf

Thanks

Glad to hear you changed your mind. Your snake is too.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast