Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,311

1 members and 3,310 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,909 Times in 840 Posts

Re: Would you get him (or her)?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    And those of you breeding snakes, PLEASE don't be part of the problem by breeding too many & selling cheaply to retailers that do this!
    I can't say it's the same for every particular store... But for the district that my box store is in... (And the same box this snake came from cause that sale promo also pissed me off.)

We are not allowed to take animals from local breeders that are just wanting to sell excess. People try to give us fish all the time and we turn them away. We cannot put them in our fish system. Small animals are the same. And abandoned animals are absolutely not allowed in the areas our animals are in.
    Everything is automated by computer. We sell a snake, the breeder is updated and an invoice created for a new shipment. Our breeder is a corporate approved provider...And a very well known one at at that, which is why I was disappointed in some of the animals we have seen at my store...But that's a different can of worms.
    The purchase price is also not as low as people think. A typical beardie runs my store 35$ in cost. And we are required to follow vet protocols. I just sent corporate off a vet bill for 300$ on a guinea pig and another 200$ on a hamster that needed emergency surgery.

I can tell you we try to do best by the critters in my store. If this store is lacking, the company needs to know.
    This store did VERY poorly. The snake was in the same condition and still on the sales floor when you returned the next day?
    I would still contact corporate with the info regarding this pets condition. This store needs to have a district manager aware of this.

Had it been blue, that's an okay to have on the floor. Most in my store shed out just fine. This snake should have been moved as soon as the dehydrated appearance and flakey shed started. A quiet room and a good soaking.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-15-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Well, I see you went to the dark side. Chalk up one point for the bad guys. They'll just fill that space with another animal that will suffer.

I can't say that I would have done the same, can't save them all. Nor would I help finance that mistreatment of animals.

But, since you made up your mind I truly wish you the best. Hopefully the animal isn't harboring any illnesses and the vet bills don't pile up.

One final word: QUARANTINE

Good luck with your new pet, he looks great since you "fixed him up".

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post
    I would still contact corporate with the info regarding this pets condition. This store needs to have a district manager aware of this.
    I posted on their FB page and PM'd the store info. Was told an inquiry was created. If I don't receive follow up in the next few days I'll make additional contact with corporate.

We went in the AM right when they opened yesterday for cat food and I brought the snake's condition to who I'm assuming was a shift lead/manager on duty, because it's who the first employee called for. When I decided to get the snake it was right before close and he was still in the tank. If they had at least soaked him at any point in between I would have felt better about his care, but at that point it seemed downright neglectful.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-15-2018)

Thanks

Such a tough situation. Saw a GTP in a petco the other day with no perch and 20% humidity. Was very hard not to scoop up the poor thing 😞

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Team Slytherin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-15-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Team Slytherin View Post
    Such a tough situation. Saw a GTP in a petco the other day with no perch and 20% humidity. Was very hard not to scoop up the poor thing 😞
    I saw the same exact thing in my local Petco about a year ago. No perch, humidity below 30%. I tried to teach them, even showed them pics of GTPs, all on perches. They didn't care. The next tome I went in (about 3 weeks later) it wasn't there. I asked if it sold, only to be told it died a few days prior.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    As someone who works for Petco as the animal manager I have always said I am available for questions. Just as there are 1000's of breeders there are 1000's of box stores. You CANNOT group every box store into a lump group. Are they on display more than breeders...yea. Are there bad breeders who don't know what the hell they are doing...yep! And we can put them on Eco earth if we wish. We have a first option and a second option. First being aspen second being Eco earth. I keep mine on aspen because 1. I keep them misted to keep proper humidity and 2. I clean ever week and it is easier to clean. If option 1 wasn't working option 2 it is. Also I train people to have proper husbandry as well.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    As someone who works for Petco as the animal manager I have always said I am available for questions. Just as there are 1000's of breeders there are 1000's of box stores. You CANNOT group every box store into a lump group. Are they on display more than breeders...yea. Are there bad breeders who don't know what the hell they are doing...yep! And we can put them on Eco earth if we wish. We have a first option and a second option. First being aspen second being Eco earth. I keep mine on aspen because 1. I keep them misted to keep proper humidity and 2. I clean ever week and it is easier to clean. If option 1 wasn't working option 2 it is. Also I train people to have proper husbandry as well.
    While I know others have mentioned Petco in this thread, this snake was not from Petco.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    Sunnieskys,

No hard feelings and nothing personal. I really respect that you are trying your hardest to properly care for the animals in your store and educate both staff and customers.

It just seems most of the big stores don't do that. It's not clear to me whether it's because corporate doesn't set proper initiatives and discipline properly for mistreatment, or there are too many employees, managers, etc. who don't care.

Either way, objectively, it seems like a problem.

Again, greatly appreciate your efforts.

Thank you.

David

- - - Updated - - -

WhompingWillow,

How's he doing?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    WhompingWillow,

How's he doing?[/COLOR]
    He's doing great! He just took a F/T mouse, which makes me happy because he hadn't yet eaten at the store. He seems to have a pretty laid back demeanor so far, and I'm really happy I got him.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-17-2018),Zincubus (07-18-2018)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123