Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,146

1 members and 3,145 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

T10 Heating Question

Hey guys! I will be getting a T10 soon, and am just wondering if a ZooMed UTH would work or if I should order the cage with heat tape?? I have already purchased the UTH but if it won’t work it’s no big deal. I was just wondering how the heat would get into the cage through the layer of PVC or would it be fine?

Thanks!

Thanks

Re: T10 Heating Question

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeydoodles View Post
    Hey guys! I will be getting a T10 soon, and am just wondering if a ZooMed UTH would work or if I should order the cage with heat tape?? I have already purchased the UTH but if it won’t work it’s no big deal. I was just wondering how the heat would get into the cage through the layer of PVC or would it be fine?

Thanks!
    I would personally recommend using an RHP w/ a pvc enclosure; especially one the size of a T10. This is what I use and it seems to be doing a great job. ProProducts will even ship an RHP to Animal Plastics who will then install it for you. You probably won't even need a UTH but if you decide to just go w/ a UTH, the heat will penetrate the PVC, you'll just need to crank up your Tstat and dial in the numbers you want.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

fluffykitten (07-19-2018),Snakeydoodles (07-13-2018)

Thanks

Okay! I will be using half of the T10 until the snake is older (and bigger). Would you still recommend using an RHP for it :)?

Thanks

Okay! I will be using half of the T10 until the snake is older (and bigger). Would you still recommend using an RHP for it ?
    That's a tough call that i'll let others with more experience answer. Reason being is that you'll need to create a temperature gradient and if you block off half the T10, your snake might not have enough room to choose temps.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

Snakeydoodles (07-13-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    if you block off half the T10, your snake might not have enough room to choose temps.
    That’s what I had been thinking as well. The only thing I worry about is a small BP getting stressed in such a big enclosure, even with clutter, so I had been thinking it would be best to keep it in just the half. (The half of the enclosure that would be in use would still be cluttered). Maybe I could just use the heating pad and that would work? Hopefully others will chime in as well with their ideas!
    Last edited by Snakeydoodles; 07-13-2018 at 06:35 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

I’ve used exo terra UTHs on AP cages just fine. I imagine zoomed would work too. What are your temps in the room? If they’re around 75* you can probably get away with the UTH alone in a divided T10. Just make sure the total surface area heated by the pad is around 1/4-1/3 of the cage floor. You will likely have to set the thermostat temp higher than the desired floor temp in the cage. Start around 95* thermostat setting and measure the temp inside the cage. If it’s low, raise the thermostat setting. If it’s high, lower it. It will take a little bit of playing around to get it dialed in but once it’s good you should be set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    I’ve used exo terra UTHs on AP cages just fine. I imagine zoomed would work too. What are your temps in the room? If they’re around 75* you can probably get away with the UTH alone in a divided T10. Just make sure the total surface area heated by the pad is around 1/4-1/3 of the cage floor. You will likely have to set the thermostat temp higher than the desired floor temp in the cage. Start around 95* thermostat setting and measure the temp inside the cage. If it’s low, raise the thermostat setting. If it’s high, lower it. It will take a little bit of playing around to get it dialed in but once it’s good you should be set.

Thank you for the advice! The room’s temps are normally around 70 or slightly higher. Would that be suitable or would I need something to raise the ambient temps?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Thank you for the advice! The room’s temps are normally around 70 or slightly higher. Would that be suitable or would I need something to raise the ambient temps?
    You’ll probably want something additional to raise the ambient temp in the cage in that case. UTH will do little if anything to raise ambient temp. May want to use an RHP to get the ambient around 80* and the UTH for a hot spot around 90*. After the snake grows more you can remove the divider and then use the RHP exclusively.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Thanks

So I was originally going to go with a T10, but I just realized that Reptile Basics has a cage with almost the exact same dimensions and everything with FREE shipping, and a shipping time of 10-12 days. The only thing that’s different is that it doesn’t have the option of a cage divider. (Also I like the look of the single door cage better than the double door so it might look weird with a divider but that’s okay haha). I’m assuming that it would be impossible to keep a baby stress free in such a big enclosure, even with lots of hides? I could probably have my father make a cage divider. What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Also will ProProducts ship an RHP to reptile basics like they would for AP?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast