Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,171

1 members and 3,170 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

New thermostat/temp controller.. can I use this??

http://

http://

i got this at Home Depot and the gentleman there told me this is what I needed for my BP’s glass tank. I don’t see any probe , so any ideas on how to make this useful? Or did I get the wrong temp controller?
    Last edited by BPmom; 07-11-2018 at 09:25 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: New thermostat/temp controller.. can I use this??

I wouldn't use that. Not sure why someone at Home Depot is recommending products for a Ball Python anyway.

Please review your previous post for what you need to get, a THERMOSTAT, and possibly, for added protection, or to hold you until the thermostat comes, a dimmer switch. Links to both in thread below.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...13#post2629613

To be clear, thermostats control temperature and use a probe, or probes, to read proper temps and therefore adjust. Voltage controllers, dimmers, etc. control the amount of power any device gets, whether that be a lamp or an UTH, they don't care or discern.

Again, you need a thermostat. I recommend one that can handle two devices because as temps drop and/or you upgrade to a bigger tank (also recommended and encouraged), you will likely need more than one heat source.

Please continue to ask questions and we will happily answer.

Thanks

Will do! Thank you!!!

I was told to check the hardware store Nd I told them what I needed. He seemed to understand but apparently had no idea what I was taking about..

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BPmom View Post
    Will do! Thank you!!!

I was told to check the hardware store Nd I told them what I needed. He seemed to understand but apparently had no idea what I was taking about..
    No problem!

If I recall, you "adopted" this BP and he's your first, correct?

Frankly, if you didn't know what you were getting into regarding tank/enclosures and proper setup, husbandry, etc., it can be daunting at first! Understanding what the animal needs, getting everything dialed in, and the cost of all the equipment, can be a lot!

I learned the hard way, a long time ago, that you ultimately need to spend more up front, get everything you need, spend the time to understand how to properly care for your animal, and you will be rewarded with a happy and long-lived animal. If you cut corners, you will pay for it in the end with either vet bills, an unhappy snake, and overall, a much less enjoyable experience.

I recently spent a fortune on Boaphile stack of tanks for all 8 of my reptiles. 7 tanks in all (2 of my female leopard geckos live together).

However, I am saving a ton in electricity, everyone is happy and healthy, and I check temps regularly, but rarely need to make adjustments as the thermostats are so good and the tanks are well insulated.

The tanks should last the life of the animals, if not longer, they are big enough for all the animals (even my female BCI when she is full grown - all 7-8FT and 15-20+ pounds of her), and they all have redundant thermostats and heating devices, so I can sleep at night.

Long way to go, but 90% or more of reptile issues are due to improper husbandry.

Do what you have to do to get that right now and you will be rewarded for a long time!

Seems like you want the best for your BP and we are all here to help you do that.

Keep asking questions and we will keep answering. Also feel free to PM me if you want.