Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,332

2 members and 3,330 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Kenyan Sand Boa displaying strange behavior (video in post)

So I've had my little baby sand boa about two weeks. Captive bred. Old owner estimates 7 months. I have no idea how accurate - she is 9 inches long and 10 grams. Hasn't eaten for me yet but I hear she usually is a champ. She is on crushed walnut, UTH with thermostat keeping her hot half 90-93 degrees. CHE keeping the tank an ambient 75ish (I know this could be warmer, I'm working on it). Ambient humitidy 30-50. She is a very chill little snake. Has a water dish, half log hide (sand is thinner under it so the UTH can heat it better), and some plant decor, and a fake skull decor.

Sand boas are nocturnal, and from what I understand spend a lot of time under the sand. Which she does, she enjoys digging in her walnut sand. But she spends a ton of time above sand. Half the day I see her up and about. But the whole time she is above sand, she is pacing the glass, butting her nose against it. Trying to dig through it. It seems like a fixation, like she is baffled by this invisible clear barrier. She spends ALL of her time above sand doing this, never kist cruising around or exploring. Always pacing back and forth along the glass, occasionally stopping to run her nose back and forth poking at it, poking at the sand line, digging some sand away from the glass to butt at it. Here is a video of it, she's just sitting there running her nose along the glass, seeming like she's trying to find a way through, or she's just confused by it.

Is this ok? Think she will chill out? I don't want her overly stressed out by the fact that she is in a tank. It seems odd, I've never seen it before. I am just perplexed that a nocturnal snake with a reputation for "you'll never see them above sand" is spending half of the daylight hours pacing like a tiger in a cage. My fiance thought it was a thing with her reflection (you'll see you can see her reflection in the video) but even when I've wiped the glass down to minimize this, or the light is such that she really doesn't have a reflection she will do this. Maybe it's normal. I have no idea, I've never seen it!

Here is the video. Any ideas? Sorry it's a little grainy, I zoomed way in so she wouldn't see me get close and stop.

Last edited by Spoons; 07-25-2018 at 07:53 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    Maybe she's not actually captive-bred? Or maybe she was kept in a tub that she couldn't see thru? You might put up a strip of dark colored paper about 5"
    wide around the bottom of the tank, so she can't see thru the glass. (you could probably remove it after some time passes & she accepts the boundaries?)

BTW, I've kept many snakes, but not sand boas...this is just my 2 cents. IMO, her behavior is more typical of w/c snakes, but I'm interested to see what
    K.S.b.-keepers think?

Thanks
    The lady I bought her from works at a petco. That is where she came from. I guess I was just assuming they get their snakes from breeders, but maybe I'm wrong

Thanks

Re: Kenyan Sand Boa displaying strange behavior (video in post)

Quote Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
    The lady I bought her from works at a petco. That is where she came from. I guess I was just assuming they get their snakes from breeders, but maybe I'm wrong
    I think Petco buys from breeders & wholesalers, and there are perhaps a few unscrupulous breeders who can get away with passing off w/c as having been produced
    by them, & if they bought from a wholesaler, it could be a legally-collected w/c? Was the snake labeled either way? (c/b or w/c?) It's rare to see snakes in pet shops
    with records of any kind, feeding, hatch/birth date, source, etc., which is a shame, IMO.

Thanks
    Also, to add, she's been in glass for at least a while. Petco keeps their snakes in glass and her last owner kept her in the same tank although not with ideal conditions, I've made a lot of changes since I brought her home.

Not sure of a concrete day of birth, breeder source, etc.
    Last edited by Spoons; 07-25-2018 at 08:44 PM.

Thanks
    Well, regardless the kind of snake, other possible reasons for such restless behavior in snakes is that their cage is too warm or that they are hungry.
    And you said she hasn't eaten for you yet? Food generally settles a snake down, have you offered yet?

Thanks
    I've offered twice now. previous owner says she has eaten both Frozen and live, but no interest whatsoever so far. I figured that was because I just brought her home and changed her tank around a bit.

Thanks

From my own experience, I would suggest scenting a live mouse fuzzy with gerbil bedding to get her to start eating.

KSBs are capable of very odd behavior, they definitely seem to break all the rules. If husbandry is on point I would say she's hungry but that doesn't mean it'll be easy. My KSB typically fasts through the winter and he seems to get very restless during that time, even during his first year

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa - Sir Hiss🎩🐍
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python - Exzahrah
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Nymeria
    0.1 Suriname Red Tail BCC- Sascha
    0.1 WT Ball Python- Ariana
    1.0 Bumblebee Ball Python- Fabio

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

"​Normal is just a setting on the washing machine..."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Avsha531 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-26-2018)

Thanks
    That could be, maybe she is just hungry. I just thought it odd that she exclusively is pacing the glass, instead of cruising all over the tank like my BP does. When I woke up this morning I found she'd paced a rut along the glass from going back and forth so much. I'll have to see if her demeanor changes at all post-feeding.

I will offer her a F/T pinkie once more before trying live. I am a little squeamish about live, especially knowing she has happily taken frozen, but if that is what I need to do I will.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
    That could be, maybe she is just hungry. I just thought it odd that she exclusively is pacing the glass, instead of cruising all over the tank like my BP does. When I woke up this morning I found she'd paced a rut along the glass from going back and forth so much. I'll have to see if her demeanor changes at all post-feeding.

I will offer her a F/T pinkie once more before trying live. I am a little squeamish about live, especially knowing she has happily taken frozen, but if that is what I need to do I will.
    Try putting the fresh gerbil bedding in the bag with the mouse and shake it up. It took me over 2 years to switch mine to F/T but with the help of gerbil bedding, a hair dryer and switching to rat pinkies he's finally eating unscented F/T regularly. Please keep us posted
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa - Sir Hiss🎩🐍
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python - Exzahrah
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Nymeria
    0.1 Suriname Red Tail BCC- Sascha
    0.1 WT Ball Python- Ariana
    1.0 Bumblebee Ball Python- Fabio

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon