Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,374

2 members and 3,372 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: BP Unusually Small?

Quote Originally Posted by Avsha531 View Post
    PS-For feeding, if it was on mice maybe try mice for the first few feedings. After that, I found that you can throw some mouse or gerbil bedding in with the feeder, and shake it up to scent it.
    I've tried prescenting already, and though she shows immediate interest in the smell of the litter, she doesn't seem to be going after the feeder. I think the plan is gonna be to try a live rat in a little while to get her used to them, unless yall think it'd be wiser to try a frozen mouse and then try to switch her to rats after that? Ig even a small meal is still a meal, she's obviously hungry even though she's not eating. I'll have to wait until I can grab a feeder from a pet store out of town either way, all we have here by way of feeders is frozens from petco and petsmart, and nope, not going there. Purchased a mouse from petco a while ago in a pinch and it was real expensive and in pretty crap shape.

Thanks

If she was eating mice before I would definitely suggest keeping with mice until feeding regularly. Have you tried using a hairdryer to warm it up?
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa - Sir Hiss🎩🐍
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python - Exzahrah
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Nymeria
    0.1 Suriname Red Tail BCC- Sascha
    0.1 WT Ball Python- Ariana
    1.0 Bumblebee Ball Python- Fabio

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

"​Normal is just a setting on the washing machine..."

Thanks

If she was eating mice before I would definitely suggest keeping with mice until feeding regularly. Have you tried using a hairdryer to warm it up?
    Yup, I've warmed, prescented with gerbil litter, and brained and still no eating happening. Hopefully getting a mouse will work. Idk what size she was being fed, obviously not big enough. Should I go a little smaller than the weanling rats I've been offering? Could the size be part of the problem? The rats are just a little smaller around than she is.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sufficio View Post
    I'm not an expert, but isn't this dangerous? Especially with rats? I know I've read more than a few stories about live food being left in an enclosure overnight and the snake ends up dead.
    I definitely wouldnt do it i watched a small rat walk up and bite my caramel het hypo right in the back before i could stop it thankfully he didnt draw blood or disturb any scales but they are definitely capeable of much more.
    Like and follow my page for updates on my projects

https://m.facebook.com/blureptiles/?ref=bookmarks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Heartley View Post
    Yup, I've warmed, prescented with gerbil litter, and brained and still no eating happening. Hopefully getting a mouse will work. Idk what size she was being fed, obviously not big enough. Should I go a little smaller than the weanling rats I've been offering? Could the size be part of the problem? The rats are just a little smaller around than she is.
    Can you ask the person you got her from what she was eating? And if she is 264g she can very easily eat a large adult mouse, which is about the same size as a rat weanling. If that is what she was eating previously then it is definitely recommended to keep feeding the same thing they were eating before. Once she is eating regularly, then you can work on making the switch to rats

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

Thanks
    Welp. Guess I figured out the problem. Apparently he was still feeding her hopper mice. Im gonna try some smaller mice and try to work her up to eating larger prey once she gets used to the size change. Then I guess I'll switch her to rats. Not too pleased with the guy who gave her to me, but hey, all I can do now is make sure she transitions to rats smoothly.

Thanks

Glad you figured that out, hoppers are minuscule for a BP that age, they take down hoppers as tiny babies. Definitely would suggest adult mice in the 30-35g range for the next few feeding until she is settled in and eating well

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

Thanks
    Update: finally got her to eat!!!! I offered her an adult mouse (from petco *shudders*) but at least she took it! Gonna go to a pet store out of town with a better frozen supplier this weekend. She still seemed fairly hungry, but I didn't want to push it, so I'll either feed again tomorrow or in a couple of days. Covered her enclosure all up with a dark blanket, made sure she had fresh water, and misted, put fresh sphagnum moss in her other hide just in case, and now the hope is that she'll keep it down and be willing to take another tomorrow. She got that thing down pretty dang fast! I'm gonna order a thermostat online asap, also. Thank you guys for the help!!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Heartley For This Useful Post:

sufficio (07-11-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Heartley View Post
    Update: finally got her to eat!!!! I offered her an adult mouse (from petco *shudders*) but at least she took it! Gonna go to a pet store out of town with a better frozen supplier this weekend. She still seemed fairly hungry, but I didn't want to push it, so I'll either feed again tomorrow or in a couple of days. Covered her enclosure all up with a dark blanket, made sure she had fresh water, and misted, put fresh sphagnum moss in her other hide just in case, and now the hope is that she'll keep it down and be willing to take another tomorrow. She got that thing down pretty dang fast! I'm gonna order a thermostat online asap, also. Thank you guys for the help!!!
    I would suggest waiting 5-7 days before the next meal, let her digest before offering again. You can also order frozen rodents online, I would suggest Big Cheese, Reptile Deli, or Layne Labs. All good websites with quality feeders.

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

Thanks

I would suggest waiting 5-7 days before the next meal, let her digest before offering again. You can also order frozen rodents online, I would suggest Big Cheese, Reptile Deli, or Layne Labs. All good websites with quality feeders.

Unfortunately I don't have space in my freezer to buy in bulk, and paying $90 shipping on a $12 or so order doesn't sound great. I know the rats I've bought from the pet store a few towns over are great, well kept, and not spendy. I've bought animals from there too, all healthy and happy! Would consider bulk feeders if I had a bigger freezer, lmao!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast