Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,182

3 members and 3,179 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

Treatments for scale rot -

To start - Severus doesn't have scale rot! He's going a little pink because I think another shed is incoming. But I'm always paranoid despite the fact I check/spot clean twice a day and clean monthly.

But it made me think that if I DID notice some potential scale rot, I don't have Treatments! I'd like to hand some on hand just in case - I looked for Betadine but I couldn't find any at Wal-Mart or shoppers. So my question is two fold.

If you use Betadine, where do you find it in Canada, and are there other options? I know a vet is always the best but if it's small/faint id like to know I have an option on hand.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In mild cases a few scales here and there, there is no treatment required, just keep the animal clean and dry and it will go away with the next shed.

In severe cases topical treatment as well as anti-biotics may be required.

Betadine or povidone can be found over the counter in your pharmacy aisle at the grocery store.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Lord Sorril (07-08-2018),scallahan1 (07-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,905 Times in 11,892 Posts
    You should also be able to find Betadine (povidone iodine) sold in feed stores. (and it's on Walmart's website, at least here in the states)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

scallahan1 (07-08-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,184 Times in 3,210 Posts

Re: Treatments for scale rot -

They also sell it on ebay

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

scallahan1 (07-08-2018)

Thanks

Yeah I saw it on the website but nothing locally here in store! I'll keep my eyes peeled for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You should also be able to find Betadine (povidone iodine) sold in feed stores. (and it's on Walmart's website, at least here in the states)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scallahan1 View Post
    Yeah I saw it on the website but nothing locally here in store! I'll keep my eyes peeled for it.

Probably because they don't sell enough of it to make it worth keeping on the shelves in Walmart. I think you'd find animal breeders using it a lot more, so like
    I said, try a "feed store". And drug stores, I've never seen one without it? Ask if you don't see it?

Thanks

I don't know if it's because where I am - asked three places now and none carry Betadine. Trying to get to a feed place to try - all are driving distance and I'm solely a public transit girl so might have to order online anyways.

The good thing is we don't need it, I'm just the paranoid type to want it on hand just in case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Probably because they don't sell enough of it to make it worth keeping on the shelves in Walmart. I think you'd find animal breeders using it a lot more, so like
    I said, try a "feed store". And drug stores, I've never seen one without it? Ask if you don't see it?

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,924 Times in 847 Posts
    Good housekeeping should keep you from ever having to worry. Scale rot is usually associated with much too high humidity and dirty bedding.

Otherwise, chlorhexidine is another possible one to watch out for. You have to make sure it's diluted to a pale blue color since it's usually pretty concentrated. But otherwise it has worked great in my experiences.
    I've used that one quite often, most recently on a severely burned ball python and a hamster with crazy fight wounds on his face.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post
    Good housekeeping should keep you from ever having to worry. Scale rot is usually associated with much too high humidity and dirty bedding.

Otherwise, chlorhexidine is another possible one to watch out for. You have to make sure it's diluted to a pale blue color since it's usually pretty concentrated. But otherwise it has worked great in my experiences.
    I've used that one quite often, most recently on a severely burned ball python and a hamster with crazy fight wounds on his face.
    Please be careful to specify how you mean to use chlorhexidine: it's proven toxic when herps are soaked in it, so if you mean a temporary topical wound care, pls say so.
    Personally, I only use it to clean cages, though it's used in (human) mouthwash, etc.