Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,259

1 members and 3,258 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Leavin’ on a jet plane!

Hi, friends!

So, I am going to be out of the country for the first 3 weeks of August and want to make sure my setups are as fool-proof as they can possibly be while I’m gone. My new room mate will be able to give them fresh water in my absence, but she has not yet overcome her fears of her new friends, so she will not be of much help

I want to get all my ducks in a row before I leave so I won’t worry about my babies. Firstly, I need a better thermostat. I know a lot of you use Herpstat with great success. Anyone have another preference? Will any of these allow me to set a day/night cycle? Do I need one for each enclosure? A lot of questions, I know.

Also, I got a sweet deal on this melamine cage and want to set it all up before I go. It’s 48x24x18 and will house my nearly 2 year old Dumeril’s Boa. I snapped a photo of the current light setup for reference, but I do also have an 80watt RHP I could use instead. Would it be best to just go with what is setup and use the RHP when I upgrade my scrub? Could be a waste on a Dumeril’s, who prefers a lower ambient temp.

I bought a guard to install around that socket so I could use a CHE or something. I suppose that does make more sense than trying to change the setup that’s already there. I know I’m just being a worry-wort, but I just want to make sure they are safe while I’m away! Lord knows, they’ll be glad to not have me pestering them all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Leavin’ on a jet plane!

Oops, forgot the photo!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Team Slytherin View Post
    Hi, friends!
    So, I am going to be out of the country for the first 3 weeks of August and want to make sure my setups are as fool-proof as they can possibly be while I’m gone. My new room mate will be able to give them fresh water in my absence, but she has not yet overcome her fears of her new friends, so she will not be of much help
    Red is in the OC and u both have Scrubs and a Dumeril. maybe she or others may lend a helping hand (and eat your food) while u are away if your roomate doesn't get past it.

I want to get all my ducks in a row before I leave so I won’t worry about my babies. Firstly, I need a better thermostat. I know a lot of you use Herpstat with great success. Anyone have another preference? Will any of these allow me to set a day/night cycle? Do I need one for each enclosure? A lot of questions, I know.
    i have Herpstats for my racks, a PVC enlosure and incubator. i also use Jumpstarts and dimmers for glass tanks. Herpstats have so many bells and whistles including day/night cycles. u need a thermostat or regulation for each heat source. so for example, if u have a a heat pad, RHP - u will need something like a 2 Herpstat 1's or just 1 Herpstat 2 or 1 VE-200 or a thermostat and rheostat/dimmer.

Also, I got a sweet deal on this melamine cage and want to set it all up before I go. It’s 48x24x18 and will house my nearly 2 year old Dumeril’s Boa. I snapped a photo of the current light setup for reference, but I do also have an 80watt RHP I could use instead. Would it be best to just go with what is setup and use the RHP when I upgrade my scrub? Could be a waste on a Dumeril’s, who prefers a lower ambient temp.

I bought a guard to install around that socket so I could use a CHE or something. I suppose that does make more sense than trying to change the setup that’s already there. I know I’m just being a worry-wort, but I just want to make sure they are safe while I’m away! Lord knows, they’ll be glad to not have me pestering them all the time.
    i would use the CHE if it can get the proper temps in the fixture that's already there and add the lightbulb guard.

Edit: where u goin? Down Under to hang w/ the Irwins again?
    Last edited by Ax01; 07-05-2018 at 05:17 PM.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks

Ah, so even with a Herpstat 2 (which I just ordered), if I do a day/night cycle, I’ll need one for each enclosure. Can’t wait to toy with it and see how that goes. Ooo, oooor I have two day/night timers from zoomed or something. I could cheat and plug those into the Herpstat!

It’ll come together. I just have a nagging fear of cooking my loved ones while away. Feel that way about my siblings, too

Well, even though CLEARLY, the Irwin’s are my bffs...they forgot to invite me over for a summer holiday. I’ll forgive them this once. I’m doing Singapore, the Maldives, and India!

Aaaand I don’t have a return flight yet Just saying.