Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,413

4 members and 3,409 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    So when i weighed Dottie a couple week ago or somewhere around there, she was 1833 grams. But i guess she was getting ready to shed as last night she shed. So i weighed her tonight as she was out and about and causing a ruckus but still refused food. But anyways, she weighed 1708 grams after shed. No poop, no piss, just a shed which is pretty impressive since she hasnt eaten since mid January lol. But my question is can a BP lose 120ish grams from just a shed? I forgot to actually weigh her shed before i threw it out. Only checked to make sure eye caps and tail end came off. She looks good still, pretty streamline and not all fat like a stuffed sausage. But I'm just wondering about the weight loss pre and post shed. And it's been a little over 6 months now since she ate and I am actually starting to worry even though like i said, she looks fine and acts fine.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts

Re: so how long has your BP fasted?

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    So when i weighed Dottie a couple week ago or somewhere around there, she was 1833 grams. But i guess she was getting ready to shed as last night she shed. So i weighed her tonight as she was out and about and causing a ruckus but still refused food. But anyways, she weighed 1708 grams after shed. No poop, no piss, just a shed which is pretty impressive since she hasnt eaten since mid January lol. But my question is can a BP lose 120ish grams from just a shed? I forgot to actually weigh her shed before i threw it out. Only checked to make sure eye caps and tail end came off. She looks good still, pretty streamline and not all fat like a stuffed sausage. But I'm just wondering about the weight loss pre and post shed. And it's been a little over 6 months now since she ate and I am actually starting to worry even though like i said, she looks fine and acts fine.
    I’ve experienced similar weight losses from those long fasts but never a dramatic all at once at the end like that, hopefully there might have been an error possibly on an earlier weigh in? As far as the shed goes, that’s usually a sign that the fast is coming to an end in my experience, I’ll have to double check my records. But after their shed, it seems they still take a couple of weeks till they finally start to take again. At least that’s been my experience so far. I’ve even stopped offering immediately after even a regular shed, and have learned to wait at least a week. Good luck and hopefully within a week or two she’ll return to eating.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

fluffykitten (07-19-2018),Sauzo (07-19-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    I’ve experienced similar weight losses from those long fasts but never a dramatic all at once at the end like that, hopefully there might have been an error possibly on an earlier weigh in? As far as the shed goes, that’s usually a sign that the fast is coming to an end in my experience, I’ll have to double check my records. But after their shed, it seems they still take a couple of weeks till they finally start to take again. At least that’s been my experience so far. I’ve even stopped offering immediately after even a regular shed, and have learned to wait at least a week. Good luck and hopefully within a week or two she’ll return to eating.
    Thanks. She was a terror last night after the shed lol. I let her out as she was doing a Caesar and pushing at the door and climbing all over her poor pothos plant. She played around on the bed a while. Then when i put her back, she went back to destroying her cage. Today though, she is quietly sleeping. Hopefully she does eat soon. I know BPs can go ages without food but i always get worried when she quits eating.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (07-19-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Thanks. She was a terror last night after the shed lol. I let her out as she was doing a Caesar and pushing at the door and climbing all over her poor pothos plant. She played around on the bed a while. Then when i put her back, she went back to destroying her cage. Today though, she is quietly sleeping. Hopefully she does eat soon. I know BPs can go ages without food but i always get worried when she quits eating.
    I had some scares myself since getting back in the hobby about 5 years ago. The first time my biggest boy stopped eating and we hit 5 months I told my wife for sure we’re going to wake to a dead snake. I kept reading these guys could do 7 to 9 months and remember reading about some rattler in captivity at a university going super crazy long. So I just crossed my fingers and prayed a little extra, lol. Now I have records that are scary similar regarding my 2 eldest’s fasting history. And don’t even sweat when someone refuses. They eat once a week, just a jumbo mouse. And then towards fall, either 2 every other feeding or I go to a five day schedule. I know you are very passionate about the hobby and your animals, and am often impressed by this. I hope your girl breaks her fast within the next 10 days or so. Best of luck buddy! The shed has been an awesome indicator for the fast nearing its end, in my humble experience.
    Last edited by Sonny1318; 07-19-2018 at 02:37 PM.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (07-19-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    As far as the shed goes, that’s usually a sign that the fast is coming to an end in my experience,

I'd agree with that too. My guy was almost on three months of no food then he shed then went right back on food.

How often do you offer food when she's not feeding?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fluffykitten View Post
    I'd agree with that too. My guy was almost on three months of no food then he shed then went right back on food.

How often do you offer food when she's not feeding?
    Usually every 2-3 weeks. Basically, I offer a weaned or small rat when it is Luna, Louie and Gina's feed day or a medium rat when it is Vicky and Rosey's feeding day. The little ones eat every 2-3 weeks and the big ones eat every 4 weeks.

Thanks
    Yep that's the same thing I do. If I know they are on strike I offer every two to three weeks. I don't want to offer too much and the fact that I hate wasting feeders. Hopefully you will be good to go now that she shed.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

When was the last time you did a deep cleaning of her cage? The first time Geoffrey fasted it was like 6-7 months. Tried everything I could think of and then read an article about doing a full clean out after they shed so they sense that they’re in “new” feeding grounds. Ten minutes after I cleaned his cage he ate. That hasn’t been a consistent solution over the last few years for him but it might be worth a shot if you haven’t done a full cleaning recently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Well......I thought Dottie was back to eating. She ate a small rat back in the beginning of August and since then, hasnt wanted anything. So in close to 8 months, she has eaten once. She still looks ok, is alert when i take her out and still weighs in at around 1744 grams. This is by far the longest she has gone and the weird part is she ate through last winter but now fasted through this summer. Guess I'll just keep offering her a small rat every 2 weeks and see what happens lol. I swear...BPs.....heck even Luna finally switched over to FT rats. You cant approach her with it or she freaks out and machine guns it and runs away lol. But if you lay it on a piece of cardboard about 6 inches from her, she will stalk up to it and eat it.

And yeah, Jacob, I did do a cleaning. I even switched her back to aspen as that is what she was on since i got her as a baby. She ate SO well as a baby up until about a year old. Then she became the picky pita BP lol.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 09-04-2018 at 08:46 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (09-04-2018)

Thanks
    The longest mine went was 7 months. I moved houses twice during that time and it took her quite awhile to settle in I think. She's lost weight but thankfully is eating steadily now and about to shed as well. I spent the last couple of months anxious every day about her well-being but it seems we're out of the woods.
    You're keeping tabs on her and that's what counts! I know how maddening it is.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast