Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,298

1 members and 3,297 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: keeping rats

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

keeping rats

i have two BP's and food is getting more expencive cuz they're getting bigger. i want to raise rats but i dont really know a whole lot about them. can anyone who raises rats tell me a little bit on how to take care of them?

do they stink? would it be worth it or should i just by the rats at the store? what is the cheapest and best way too take care of, house, and breed them? is it hard? im only 12, would i be able to do it?

im guessing since i only have two BP's i would have to seperate them
    every-once-and-awhile.

any info would be appreciated, thanks
    -marshall

Thanks

Re: keeping rats

Raising rats is fun. I'm not sure if you'd save much money since you only have 2 snakes.. but that depends on how much you're spending on buying frozen rodents.

Unlike mice, rats do NOT stink. Yes, if you can be responsible, a 12 year old can easily handle breeding rats.

I'll tell you how I keep my rats.

I keep one male with anywhere from 1-4 females all the time. Females have one litter every month consisting of anywhere from 6-15 babies, 10 being average. Since you will only want one pair of rats, it is nice to separate the female when you see her getting noticably pregnant.. remove the male rather than moving the female and upsetting her.

I feed half and half of high quality dog food (Nutro brand 'lite' formula is very good) and the other half a mix of puffed rice/wheat, cherrios, tri-color pasta, and raw oats.

For bedding I am using pine now as it is inexpensive. If you go to a place that has horse/livestock supply you can buy a nice big bag cheap. Change bedding once a week.

For water use one of the bottles with the little ball valve, no water bowls!

A female is ready to breed at 4 months.. same for males. Do not try younger, she may eat her babies.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Re: keeping rats

Marshall,
    There is plenty of info in this forum. Please use the search and look through the info, as this topic has been cover alot here.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"