Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,307

1 members and 3,306 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    I know personally that hungry Dumerils can be pretty aggressive. But that seems a tad extreme, not to mention you say you are feeding large rats. Maybe it’s the old joke, a snake is a snake? They all can’t be docile, good luck. Hopefully a change of scenery will do him good.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

Thanks
    Thanks for all the input. We have actually tried many configurations for his habitat. When he was in quarantine we had him in an Iris x-mas tree tub on paper with hides and belly heat. He seemed to do well with this, but when he did make a mess it got so wet and humid so quickly that his RI symptoms would start to come back. He has also been in the big Iris tub on substrate and is now in an AP T8 on cypress mulch with an RHP for heat.

I worry that he still has a latent infection and on our vet's orders we have been keeping his warm side a little warmer at 90 degrees to help him fight it off if it's still there. He's not currently drooling or exhibiting symptoms, but his "bad attitude" has remained in every enclosure configuration since around the time he first had the RI.
    6.10 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boas - "Marco and Esmeralda"
    1.0 Jungle Jaguar Carpet Python - "Rossi"
    1.1 Boa Imperator Rescues - "Clifford and Bonnie"
    0.1 Hog Island Boa - "Luna"
    1.0 Dumeril's Boa - "Sage"

RIP Wintre
    My iHerp Page

Thanks

Re: Our Dumeril's has lost his mind

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    I know personally that hungry Dumerils can be pretty aggressive. But that seems a tad extreme, not to mention you say you are feeding large rats. Maybe it’s the old joke, a snake is a snake? They all can’t be docile, good luck. Hopefully a change of scenery will do him good.
    Yeah, I wonder if he just wants more food. We don't know his age at all as he was a rescue, so it's possible he's just undersized and not getting enough food. I have tried giving him a medium rat every week for a month to see if that changed anything, but it was no different. He seems always super defensive, yet it can turn into a feed strike on a whim.

I think we have resigned to him just being a punk.
    6.10 Ball Pythons

RIP Wintre
    My iHerp Page

4. The Following User Says Thank You to treaux For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (06-19-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by treaux View Post
    Yeah, I wonder if he just wants more food. We don't know his age at all as he was a rescue, so it's possible he's just undersized and not getting enough food. I have tried giving him a medium rat every week for a month to see if that changed anything, but it was no different. He seems always super defensive, yet it can turn into a feed strike on a whim.

I think we have resigned to him just being a punk.
    Well I hope he snaps out it for you. Like I previously mentioned, sometimes a snake just wants to be a snake. But who doesn’t love a Dumerils
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

I worry that he still has a latent infection and on our vet's orders we have been keeping his warm side a little warmer at 90 degrees to help him fight it off if it's still there. He's not currently drooling or exhibiting symptoms, but his "bad attitude" has remained in every enclosure configuration since around the time he first had the RI.
    Dums really don't need to be all that warm. Does he have a place to go to cool off? If not that may make him pissy.

Also the higher heat may be boosting his metabolism so he could very well be hungrier than a Dum kept at more typical temperatures.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-19-2018),redshepherd (06-19-2018),Sonny1318 (06-19-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Dums really don't need to be all that warm. Does he have a place to go to cool off? If not that may make him pissy.

Also the higher heat may be boosting his metabolism so he could very well be hungrier than a Dum kept at more typical temperatures.
    His cool side sits below 80 usually, however he's often on the warm side. It's possible that from heating him higher to fight the RI his appetite increased. Just fed him another large rat today and he managed to strike in a most ridiculous way (hit the tongs first, then wrapped the rat, so I had to leave the tongs in there with him until he released). His aim while striking seems pretty terrible. He just swings his head around till he gets something in his mouth (often not his actual prey).

6.10 Ball Pythons

RIP Wintre
    My iHerp Page

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to treaux For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (06-19-2018),Sonny1318 (06-19-2018)

Thanks

Well at least he has personality in spades. Good luck hopefully he'll knock it off and as long as you guys can put up with the striking and he doesn't hurt him self i guess the situation could be worse.
    0.1 : Albino Clown - GHI Pastave - Killer Bee Fader - Sugar Bee - Pastel het pied - Lemon Blast het puzzle

1.0 : Banana - Mystic Potion 66% pos het pied - Pastel Lesser het puzzle - Super Pastel 66% pos het puzzle

1.0 2012 Albino Red Tail

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post

I was thinking that very same thing as I get real cranky when I get too warm .....

To the op - what kind of device you're using to take the temps on the warm spot and the cooler side ??

Is it one of those stick on the side plastic thermometers ?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

His cool side sits below 80 usually, however he's often on the warm side. It's possible that from heating him higher to fight the RI his appetite increased. Just fed him another large rat today and he managed to strike in a most ridiculous way (hit the tongs first, then wrapped the rat, so I had to leave the tongs in there with him until he released). His aim while striking seems pretty terrible. He just swings his head around till he gets something in his mouth (often not his actual prey).
    LOL mine do the same thing. There's a lot of ready-fire-aim in them!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    I read about snakes getting snippy and weird when temps are too hot sometimes. I keep my dum at 84 hot spot, and the cool end can go down to 75. Not that 90 is necessarily too hot to make all dum's weird, but maybe it would help yours? They're a chillier species than ball pythons! I'm just guessing around things I might try if he were mine, because that sounds wild LOL
    Last edited by redshepherd; 06-19-2018 at 07:37 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast