Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,342

2 members and 3,340 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

PVC cage warping...?

Anyone had this happen before with their pvc foam board cages?

I noticed today that I almost can no longer remove the glass door panels from my 3x2x2 cage from pvccages. I've had this cage for only over a year. As if the height of the cage flattened by about 4 millimeters, and the glass doors are stuck in there permanently now.

I ended up pressing the door rim up really hard and removing one, but couldn't put it back in. So I sandpapered down the bottom door run with a dremel and can fit the doors in again. But if I need to keep doing this in the future, there won't be a runway for the door anymore and the cage would be unusable.

I do have another pvc cage on top of this cage, but it's not heavy at all, as you guys know... And plus, these cages were meant to be stacked.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 06-18-2018 at 09:26 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: PVC cage warping...?

My T25 was wonky from the day I got it. The right side sags enough that the doors won’t lift out but I can remove them if I slide them to the left side. Weirdly the majority of the weight on top of that cage is on the left side. The top also sags a good bit where the RHP is mounted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    My T25 was wonky from the day I got it. The right side sags enough that the doors won’t lift out but I can remove them if I slide them to the left side. Weirdly the majority of the weight on top of that cage is on the left side. The top also sags a good bit where the RHP is mounted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What the... that's so odd and unfortunate? I'd never even heard of this happening before. If pvc cages will sag and warp too, then what exactly is the benefit between pvc vs. wood other than weight? :\ Asking more rhetorically, but if anyone knows what's up, that would also be swell. It was super frustrating trying to get the door back in and not being able to take them out. LOL
    Last edited by redshepherd; 06-18-2018 at 10:00 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    What the... that's so odd and unfortunate? I'd never even heard of this happening before. If pvc cages will sag and warp too, then what exactly is the benefit between pvc vs. wood other than weight? :\ Asking more rhetorically, but if anyone knows what's up, that would also be swell. It was super frustrating trying to get the door back in and not being able to take them out. LOL
    Plastic cages hold up better with the moisture issues for snakes that need humidity than wood cages do. All cages have pros & cons...I've used plastic & wood cages
    in the past, but my overwhelming favorites are glass tanks, which never warp, lol. I primarily keep colubrids though, I understand why most of you want plastic.
    Is there any way to support the bottoms of these cages so they cannot warp? I know theoretically you shouldn't have to, but heat + plastic = sagging, hard to avoid.
    I had a pair of Prolines a while back...there was a little sag to the floor & they weren't huge cages either...I can imagine the issue with bigger cages.
    Many years back I also used some Neodesha cages, a very hard plastic, with heavy sliding tempered glass doors. They used to stick a little too...it's not fun.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-18-2018 at 10:45 PM.