Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,248

0 members and 3,248 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

View Poll Results: Best starter snake as pet?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Corn snake

17 58.62%
  • King snake

4 13.79%
  • Rat snake

3 10.34%
  • Sand boa

5 17.24%
  • Other (Please post in thread if other)

10 34.48%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Question asked the most. Best starter snake?

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Corn snakes are a species of rat snake lol, so this poll isn't exactly comparable.
    I picked up on that too.

But anyway, I'm always going to advocate for Kings. However, with Kings, you've got to almost plan on getting tagged at some point.
    Regardless of food strikes, I think BPs are great first snakes too.

To me, the bottom line is this: there are a lot of snakes that are common in the pet trade that make good first snakes...IF you do the proper research BEFORE bringing the animal home and you're confident you can meet the requirements to care for the animal.

Ultimately, it comes down to what you're looking for in your pet and whether or not you're willing and able to meet its care requirements.

That being said, I think in no way should anybody get a retic, burm, conda, or anything venomous as a first snake.
    But I do think most of the COMMON snakes in the pet trade can be good first snakes, but like I said, if you're willing and able to do it right.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Charis (06-10-2018),dakski (06-10-2018)

Thanks
    I voted for corn snake, they aren't fussy about temps or humidity and are docile and usually great eaters. Kings are the same way and are also very active, but they often try to eat anything that moves, including hands, so the corns may be a better first snake.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-08-2018)

Thanks

None, no reptile is a "starter" pet in my opinion - unless under very specific circumstances. All of us here probably had that first pet that didn't live as long as it could have - especially if you all started young like me. For older kids with willing parents or responsible adults, ball pythons, garter snakes, corn snakes would probably be fair choices - especially when compared to the more needy species like Green Tree Boas and the giants. It all comes down to how much you are willing to learn and if you are able to properly care for it.

When I hear "what's a good beginner / first snake" its usually followed by "for my x year old kid". Reptiles in general just need too specific care; for example you don't have to keep a temp and humidity range for a mouse or gerbil. Also, in my experience people who get a "beginner" pet (especially for kids) often loose interest and the animals suffer. Now while not always the case, I think it takes someone dedicated to whatever species they choose for whatever it is to be a good first or learning pet.

----------------------------------------------------- My personal experiences ----------------------------------

My first "pets" were gerbils when I was 3 - the cats ate them. Then goldfish - which were supposedly beginner fish (how wrong that is too lol), then anoles. This was followed in quick succession by a garter snake when I was 7 as my first real on-my-own pet. She started my love for reptiles. However - looking back I'm surprised she made it to 5 years old. I fed goldfish and wild-caught minnows, we only had a red heat lamp,for a 55 gal fish tank with bricks on top to prevent escape, and a mix of newspaper / dirt /and care-fresh bedding for substrate. My mom got me a snakes-for-dummies book and helped me read it ans set up the tank, but that was the end of her involvement as far as care went (other than helping change bulbs / buy stuff and such).

When I was a little older I got 2 iguanas that were dumped in a tank in the local ER's parking lot. My dad built two huge wire cages, I was 12 so I was able to do some research - but again, I'm not surprised they did not do well. We had no heat/air conditioning at all in my room - heat was a wood stove downstairs - so winter time was really tough on them. We re-homed the male - the female lived for about 4 years. At that point I got into mammals (ferrets, guinea pigs, rats, gerbils) which didn't require as much research or specialized care.

I'm glad that I chose a ball for my first snake as an adult. He's been a great learning project, and I've learned a lot in the past few years - enough to want another one. But I know that as much as I would have 'loved' him had I gotten him in high school or earlier there's no way a ball would have thrived. My room was often in the high 40"s low 50's in the winter. I doubt even an AP cage could have handled that even if my parents would have allowed spending that much on a snake.
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

Thanks
    Ball python ( from personal experience! )
    ~Annie
    ~

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Question asked the most. Best starter snake?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    I get asked what the best starter snake to learn and get into the hobby with. So many say BPs but are they? I try to point to corns and kings. Share your thoughts and reasons why please.
    Well I've got most types but I'd always suggest a yearling Corn snake to an absolute beginner .

Virtually guaranteed good temperament , good eaters and massive range of colours and patterns . Not too small not too large . Bombproof as regards upkeep .

Royals are great as well if you can buy a guaranteed GOOD feeder from a trustworthy seller .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 06-09-2018 at 09:23 AM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-09-2018),Charis (06-10-2018),Craiga 01453 (06-09-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    FWIW: i don't like the idea of "starter" pets; you shouldn't have to settle on your 20yr commitment because someone says it might be hard.
    This 100%. I was in a local pet shop and saw a snake for sale with a label on the enclosure saying something along the lines of "previous owner bought to gain experience for...".

I don't agree with getting a 'practice' snake before you buy the one you really want. That's not fair to the animal or the keeper. I kept a corn snake as a kid and then many years later went straight to a Burmese python because that's the animal I wanted and had researched plenty before doing so. Some people would say I should have gotten a Carpet or Boa first but why buy an animal and then sell it on once you feel experienced enough? That seems unethical to me.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Valyrian; 06-09-2018 at 01:48 PM.
    0.1 CB17 Pearl Burmese Python - Kaiju

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Valyrian For This Useful Post:

Alter-Echo (06-09-2018),Charis (06-10-2018),Craiga 01453 (06-09-2018),Crowfingers (06-09-2018),pretends2bnormal (06-10-2018),the_rotten1 (06-09-2018),wonderfvl (09-22-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I posted other because IMO there is no single best starter snake. And there are several good ones not on that list, like boa constrictor and rosy boa.

The best starter snake is generally what trips your trigger. Then you have to research and narrow down by figuring your budget, whether you can provide the snake's food, etc.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to paulh For This Useful Post:

Charis (06-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    I picked up on that too.

But anyway, I'm always going to advocate for Kings. However, with Kings, you've got to almost plan on getting tagged at some point.
    Regardless of food strikes, I think BPs are great first snakes too.

To me, the bottom line is this: there are a lot of snakes that are common in the pet trade that make good first snakes...IF you do the proper research BEFORE bringing the animal home and you're confident you can meet the requirements to care for the animal.

Ultimately, it comes down to what you're looking for in your pet and whether or not you're willing and able to meet its care requirements.

That being said, I think in no way should anybody get a retic, burm, conda, or anything venomous as a first snake.
    But I do think most of the COMMON snakes in the pet trade can be good first snakes, but like I said, if you're willing and able to do it right.

Well said.

Proper research and understanding of the species is critical! Even "easy snakes" can be difficult for those that don't know how to care for/learn what their snake needs. Intermediate and advanced snakes can seem pretty easy to experienced keepers who properly meet that snakes requirements.

Additionally, modern technology in enclosures and electronics ((both heating and humidity devices, advancements in lights (UVB and LED for example), and thermostats)) has made keeping proper temps and humidity and light cycles, etc. so much easier than it used to be.

Many snakes that seemed difficult in the past are significantly more "keepable" as it has become more realistic for owners to meet their snakes needs (if willing to research and spend money and keep up check lists, etc.).

With what I knew and had access to easily 10 years ago, I would never have dreamed of keeping a BCI (due to size of enclosure and humidity requirements). However, modern enclosures (I use Boaphile tanks) are so light, great at keeping humidity in and maintaining temps (with good thermostats), and stackable, that it makes Behira (my Female BCI) seem like a breeze.

I voted for corn snake as well. I have two now. However, I have two thoughts.

1. Not necessarily a beginner snake as babies. They are tiny and you have to be confident and gentle with them. They also eat almost 2X a week and have to given appropriate sized meals and at proper durations.

2. Having said that, they come is so many amazing colors and patterns (and even without scales now), and relative to morphs of other species are much less expensive. Additionally, their temperaments are usually great and husbandry relatively easy (and they eat like clockwork and happily take F/T). Because of the variety they do make great additions to collections of any skill level and make great snake ambassadors. They are small, but not too small, and very pretty, so most people can find a morph they like.

Figment is a great snake to show people who are nervous about snakes. Who can be afraid of a purple and pink snake with purple eyes? In all seriousness, he is totally chill and many people new to reptiles that I introduce to Figment, like him.

However, for that purpose, I prefer my BP or BCI, because Figment although I don't think he would ever bite, moves quickly and in a more "snake like" manner.

My boids are much more "chill" in terms of slow and deliberate movements. For example, yesterday, I introduced two young women who were afraid of snakes to my reptile collection. They touched Figment, but one ended up holding Shayna (BP) and Behira (2 year old BCI).

Anyway, I digressed.

Proper education/research and proper enclosures = Happy Snakes and therefore the line between "easy" and at least "intermediate" level, at least due to husbandry, has been blurred.

Corns are great snakes, period. However, tiny babies may not be best for new keepers. A juvenile might be the best fit for those owners.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-10-2018),Charis (06-10-2018),Craiga 01453 (06-10-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Well said.

Proper research and understanding of the species is critical! Even "easy snakes" can be difficult for those that don't know how to care for/learn what their snake needs. Intermediate and advanced snakes can seem pretty easy to experienced keepers who properly meet that snakes requirements.

Additionally, modern technology in enclosures and electronics ((both heating and humidity devices, advancements in lights (UVB and LED for example), and thermostats)) has made keeping proper temps and humidity and light cycles, etc. so much easier than it used to be.

Many snakes that seemed difficult in the past are significantly more "keepable" as it has become more realistic for owners to meet their snakes needs (if willing to research and spend money and keep up check lists, etc.).

With what I knew and had access to easily 10 years ago, I would never have dreamed of keeping a BCI (due to size of enclosure and humidity requirements). However, modern enclosures (I use Boaphile tanks) are so light, great at keeping humidity in and maintaining temps (with good thermostats), and stackable, that it makes Behira (my Female BCI) seem like a breeze.

I voted for corn snake as well. I have two now. However, I have two thoughts.

1. Not necessarily a beginner snake as babies. They are tiny and you have to be confident and gentle with them. They also eat almost 2X a week and have to given appropriate sized meals and at proper durations.

2. Having said that, they come is so many amazing colors and patterns (and even without scales now), and relative to morphs of other species are much less expensive. Additionally, their temperaments are usually great and husbandry relatively easy (and they eat like clockwork and happily take F/T). Because of the variety they do make great additions to collections of any skill level and make great snake ambassadors. They are small, but not too small, and very pretty, so most people can find a morph they like.

Figment is a great snake to show people who are nervous about snakes. Who can be afraid of a purple and pink snake with purple eyes? In all seriousness, he is totally chill and many people new to reptiles that I introduce to Figment, like him.

However, for that purpose, I prefer my BP or BCI, because Figment although I don't think he would ever bite, moves quickly and in a more "snake like" manner.

My boids are much more "chill" in terms of slow and deliberate movements. For example, yesterday, I introduced two young women who were afraid of snakes to my reptile collection. They touched Figment, but one ended up holding Shayna (BP) and Behira (2 year old BCI).

Anyway, I digressed.

Proper education/research and proper enclosures = Happy Snakes and therefore the line between "easy" and at least "intermediate" level, at least due to husbandry, has been blurred.

Corns are great snakes, period. However, tiny babies may not be best for new keepers. A juvenile might be the best fit for those owners.
    I agree with pretty much everything said here.

One thing that stood out was your comment about corns as babies possibly not being the best beginner snake. Being so tiny and so quick, coupled with their ability to fit pretty much ANYwhere I think you make a good point. Juvenile corns, Kings, etc... need to be monitored extremely closely while out, and enclosures must be completely escape proof. These little guys can be like Houdini if you're not careful.

I personally moved on from corns, in favor of Kings. And even at that, if I ever add another it will be sub-adult or adult. I've got no interest in the constant hand over hand handling sessions anymore. I love active and alert, but super quick and flighty isn't for me anymore. My snakes relax me and help me unwind. I find a certain tranquillity in them, and handling juvenile corns and similar colubrids is more work than tranquillity in my opinion.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-10-2018),dakski (06-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    LOL you noticed that too eh?

I would have to go with a corn or king snake as the best "first" snake as they're pretty bulletproof and more tolerant of husbandry mistakes. They're also fun to handle.
    I just saw that and laughed as well.

I have to agree with you as I'd say corn or kings are probably the ideal starter. It's super rare you hear about them going off feed. I wouldn't recommend people to breed kings though, as they can and do eat the other when trying to breed. As far as just keeping though, hands down I'd say a corn or king.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (06-10-2018),Bogertophis (06-10-2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast