Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,148

4 members and 1,144 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,582
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    Thanks

Small swelling on neck— time for vet?

Hi all. I’m making this post in reference to my boyfriend’s ball python, Atlas.

About two weeks ago, while we were preparing to feed Atlas, we noticed a very small bump on his neck, on his right side just behind his jawbone. The swelling was so minute I was having problems telling if it was a trick of the light or really there. Maybe half the size of my pinky nail (and I have small fingers). After examining him closer I am fairly certain the lump is real and not imagined. Sometimes I can’t see it though. The area feels normal when I run my fingers over it, I can’t feel the lump but when he’s turned right and in correct lighting I can see it.

We’ve been monitoring his behavior closely since noticing it but honestly we’re not sure how long this could have been there— for all I know he could have been brought home 2 years ago with this. The only reason I haven’t called a reptile vet is because he still eats, sheds, and defecates fine. He’s always been a bit finicky with food so I consider a refusal every 2-3 feeds or so relatively normal for him. His body condition looks good. His eyes are bright. His behaviors have not changed in all the time we’ve had him— still spends the majority of his time in his cool hide at about 80-83 degrees. Warm hide sits about 90- 92 degrees. Fresh water available at all times, bowl washed every three days unless soiled. Heat sources are thermostat regulated but the houses air conditioning isn’t the best so that’s why there is fluctuation in temps (we live in south Texas and it’s summertime) but as far as I can tell it hasn’t given Atlas issue.

The reason I am making this post is because I just read in another thread that this could be a sign of RI. I had never considered that possibility as he shows no other signs or symptoms of anything, really. Acts just how I would expect him or any other ball python to, maybe a bit more friendly since he likes to chill with his head out of his hide watching us a lot. If I hadn’t seen the small lump myself I would think he was in pristine condition.

What do y’all think? Could this be RI? A swollen salivary gland? He has injested some of his eco-earth spagnum moss substrate before but not in a long time. Could this be the cause? Would you be packing up for the vet right now or continue observing?

I will upload a picture tomorrow when I see him— I thought I had one but I recently got a new phone and I guess the photo did not save to my SIM or iCloud.

TIA

edit: forgot to mention, his weight the last time we weighed him was 826 grams (as of 3/10/2018). I haven’t weighed him recently because he’s outgrown the kitchen scale we have. I’d estimate him to be over 900 grams now, probably approaching 1000.
    Last edited by Trisnake; 06-07-2018 at 06:37 PM.

Thanks
    I'm not experienced enough to help you, but I'm sure those who are could use a picture!
    ~Annie
    ~

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AnnieHeart For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-07-2018),Trisnake (06-07-2018)

Thanks
    Edit again: we actually haven’t had him two years. I went back and found the date we purchased him and it was actually just over a year ago on 2/25/2017.

Thanks
    Yeah when I was making the post I thought I had one on me and ready. Sorry😅

Thanks
    Thanked 19,922 Times in 11,904 Posts
    Doesn't sound like an RI to me. I'd personally be inclined to watch for a week or 2, see if it enlarges any. A vet will ask you how long it's been there,
    & right now, you don't have an answer.

Do you feed live rodents??? My first guess (if your answer is yes) is that it's an old minor bite wound from a rodent. Snakes don't produce liquid pus-
    when they have an infection it tends to be solid & because of that, it does not drain away or disappear...just remains as a lump.

It might also be a harmless swelling from a vigorous rat-grab...very few snakes eat "politely", lol.

But snakes can also get benign & metastatic tumors just like us & other creatures...you'll want to be sure it's not that either. You'll need a vet visit if
    it sticks around or enlarges.

Yes, photos would help...up to a point. We cannot replace the services of a vet, nor is it ethical for us to try.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-07-2018 at 07:09 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Trisnake (06-07-2018)

Thanks

Re: Small swelling on neck— time for vet?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Doesn't sound like an RI to me. I'd personally be inclined to watch for a week or 2, see if it enlarges any. A vet will ask you how long it's been there,
    & right now, you don't have an answer.

Do you feed live rodents??? My first guess (if your answer is yes) is that it's an old minor bite wound from a rodent. Snakes don't produce liquid pus-
    when they have an infection it tends to be solid & because of that, it does not drain away or disappear...just remains as a lump.

But snakes can also get benign & metastatic tumors just like us & other creatures...you'll want to be sure it's not that either. You'll need a vet visit if
    it sticks around or enlarges.
    Thanks so much for your reply. In the 2 weeks I’ve been monitoring him it hasn’t gotten larger, and since it’s so small and hard to get a good look at to begin with I’m having a hard time deciding if I think it’s gotten smaller or if that’s wishful thinking. As of right now I will say it has probably not changed in size but I will look again tomorrow.

When we bought him at 82gs he was being fed live rats by the breeder, I can’t remember if hoppers or pinks. However he took f/t for us on our second attempt at feeding him and has never received a live rodent while in our care.

I had heard before that reptile pus is a solid entity and not liquid— that’s why I was surprised not to feel any hardness under the skin where I saw the lump. Could the absence of a hard lump possibly indicate something other than an infection?

What do you think about the possibility of a swollen salivary gland? That was my first inclination when I saw it but I admittedly don’t know where they are located on ball pythons. Second was tumor, as you mentioned.
    Last edited by Trisnake; 06-07-2018 at 07:24 PM.

Thanks
    Never heard of a snake with swollen salivary glands, but I guess that's possible too.

Personally, I'd put my money on an old bite wound from a live rat*, & you just never noticed it before because it doesn't show up until the snake moves
    a certain way. Just watch & make sure it doesn't increase...if it does, get him in to see a reptile vet.

*just so you know, rat or mouse pinks & fuzzies (eyes closed!) do not bite. Once they open their eyes ("hoppers" or "weaned")
    they sure do. Good for you, feeding him only dead prey!
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-07-2018 at 07:27 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Trisnake (06-07-2018)

Thanks
    Thanks.

I just remembered a weird quirk of Atlas’s and I’m not sure if it possibly has something to do with his lump. He likes to rub his face on one of the logs in his enclosure. I don’t see it often and it’s not a frantic rubbing, doesn’t strike me as an itch. More like a slow, languid rubbing, like he’s wiping his mouth. I’ve only ever seen him do this after a feed or attempted feed, after drinking, and after being handled and put back in the viv. I’ve never observed him doing this for more than 5 minutes at a time and I’ve never seen any saliva or anything left behind (I check) so I haven’t worried about it.

I’m assuming this isn’t anything to do with his lump but I’m not sure
    Last edited by Trisnake; 06-07-2018 at 07:32 PM.

Thanks

Re: Small swelling on neck— time for vet?

Quote Originally Posted by Trisnake View Post
    Thanks.

I just remembered a weird quirk of Atlas’s and I’m not sure if it possibly has something to do with his lump. He likes to rub his face on one of the logs in his enclosure. I don’t see it often and it’s not a frantic rubbing, doesn’t strike me as an itch. More like a slow, languid rubbing, like he’s wiping his mouth. I’ve only ever seen him do this after a feed or attempted feed, after drinking, and after being handled and put back in the viv. I’ve never observed him doing this for more than 5 minutes at a time and I’ve never seen any saliva or anything left behind (I check) so I haven’t worried about it.

I’m assuming this isn’t anything to do with his lump but I’m not sure
    I've seen snakes wiping their faces after eating many times, so I don't think that has anything to do with the lump either. I believe it's an instinct derived from
    improved survival from those snakes not wandering around with "rat-breath", for which another rodent-eating snake might mistake them for prey (since they
    rely heavily on scent, not vision). Even if the other snake lets go, realizing their mistake, the snake that was pounced on stands a better chance of injury, & that
    alone lowers their survival rate. But good observation!

Thanks
    One other thing I can think of that can cause a small lump: is Atlas w/c imported or captive-bred? Some insect bites can leave a small lump too, & there are
    some parasitic forms that burrow into the skin too. (even an old tick bite, if the mouth parts remain, would likely leave a small healed lump) Still betting it's
    an old rat bite...that's the most likely thing, anyway.