Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,110

1 members and 3,109 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,112
Threads: 248,552
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NxtGenExotics

Thread: Weird question

Thanks

Unhappy Weird question

Hey guys!
    This is kind of a sad thread. I need a bit of emotional support from you guys. I recently have hit a realization I'm not giving my two guinea pigs enough attention. Both are happy and healthy, well-fed things too! But I don't handle them as often as I should, and it breaks my heart that they are both now scared of me when they used to run to me when I came in the room.
    I'm getting busier and busier, to the point it can be hard to find time for my low maintenance reptiles.

I think...
    with all the best intentions...
    I need to rehome my babies.

This is incredibly hard for me as I've had Snickers for almost four years now. And although it doesn't seem long, I've developed such a love for that little turd.
    And Otis, I got just recently when Snickers brother passed away last year. He's blind and hard of hearing, and the sweetest thing you'd ever meet.

I don't know if I should go to a rescue or find someone myself, but all I can ask is that it's a loving, passionate family who'll give them the best care possible (and many updates!)

So sorry for posting about my pigs on a SNAKE forum, but I'm sorta at a loss. I mean, if any of you guys live in central OK or would be willing to meet, shoot me a PM.
    Idek if this is allowed lol, but just wanted to share something pretty stressful rn.
    Thanks
    Last edited by GpBp; 06-01-2018 at 11:17 PM.
    ¹.⁰ ᵖᵃˢᵗᵉˡ ᵇᵃˡˡ ᵖʸᵗʰᵒⁿ ⁻ ᵍᵉⁿᵒ
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

¹.⁰ ᵖⁱⁿˢᵗʳⁱᵖᵉ ʰᵃʳˡᵉqᵘⁱⁿ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵖᵒᶜᵏᵉᵗ
    ¹.⁰ ᶠˡᵃᵐᵉ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵇᵉᵃ

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GpBp For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-02-2018),Craiga 01453 (06-02-2018)

Thanks
    good luck, hope you get it all figured out.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Apiratenamedjohn For This Useful Post:

GpBp (06-01-2018)

Thanks
    I think it's very responsible of you to recognize that you don't have the time for them anymore and need to rehome them. Not saying it isn't hard, but it sounds like the right decision. I'm not anywhere near OK, but I hope you find a good home for them.
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to the_rotten1 For This Useful Post:

GpBp (06-01-2018)

Thanks

Re: Weird question

Quote Originally Posted by the_rotten1 View Post
    I think it's very responsible of you to recognize that you don't have the time for them anymore and need to rehome them. Not saying it isn't hard, but it sounds like the right decision. I'm not anywhere near OK, but I hope you find a good home for them.
    Thank you. This may be the hardest decision I've ever made, but I do unfortunately believe it's the right one. I hope they go to the right place as well!
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Well, although this is sad to read, I support your decision.
    Only YOU know if you are better off rehoming them or not. Sometimes life happens, sometimes it's predictable, sometimes life throws us a curve ball.

I had to rehome my animals years ago, for different reasons than yours, and it was heartbreaking. I made a conscious decision that I was in no shape to care for them (I was rarely home and never clean or sober) and found them new homes. Each time one was picked up I wore a tough guy mask, but balled my eyes out as soon as I saw tail lights leaving my driveway. Looking back, it was one of VERY few good decisions I made at that point in my life.

Any which way, only you can decide. I wish you and your piggies the best.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-02-2018),GpBp (06-02-2018),richardhind1972 (06-02-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Well, although this is sad to read, I support your decision.
    Only YOU know if you are better off rehoming them or not. Sometimes life happens, sometimes it's predictable, sometimes life throws us a curve ball.

I had to rehome my animals years ago, for different reasons than yours, and it was heartbreaking. I made a conscious decision that I was in no shape to care for them (I was rarely home and never clean or sober) and found them new homes. Each time one was picked up I wore a tough guy mask, but balled my eyes out as soon as I saw tail lights leaving my driveway. Looking back, it was one of VERY few good decisions I made at that point in my life.

Any which way, only you can decide. I wish you and your piggies the best.
    I'm so sorry about your critters
    Seems like that might've been the right call though.
    I might start posting some ADs in a couple days, but geez its hard to even think about.
    Thanks, Craig
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

Thanks
    Thanked 19,859 Times in 11,863 Posts
    I too am sorry for the tough decision you're having to make: it takes maturity and a big heart to put the needs of your animals first, in order to do
    the "right" thing for them. Much as we try, we don't always see our future with accurate clarity...we're all human & we misjudge many things in life.
    Sometimes we should have known better (& hopefully we learn from our mistakes) but many times, life just throws us a curve ball, and we have to
    make some difficult adjustments. I know this is a painful choice, but when you think of the alternative, it becomes easier. Hugs!

And btw, the bigger your love for animals, the easier it is to find yourself overwhelmed...don't beat yourself up, just accept that you cannot do it all.

Also: I know 'zip' about guinea pigs, but I remember meeting some folks a while back that were hugely into them, & they said there are clubs, just
    like for other animals...so you might search for that? Ask all the vet offices if they know of good leads for you too? I believe that with a little effort,
    you'll find someone that makes you feel good, that your pets will be in safe attentive hands.

You might also want to ask your chosen person (or family) for a reference from their own vet, if you're the least bit unsure.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-02-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GpBp View Post
    I'm so sorry about your critters
    Seems like that might've been the right call though.
    I might start posting some ADs in a couple days, but geez its hard to even think about.
    Thanks, Craig
    Yeah, it wasn't easy, but DEFINITELY was best for the animals.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Like Craig about 6 or 7 years ago I had some pet rats (scratch and sniff) that I was unable to take care of due to substance abuse. I made the decision to go to treatment and had to do something with my pets. I decided to put them up for adoption and made a craigslist ad. The benefit to this was the ability to screen potential future owners, check in their knowledge of keeping rats etc. I was able to find someone who had a wealth of knowledge and I felt 100% comfortable with the rats’ new home. If you are unable to care for the animals and give them the attention they need/deserve rehoming them is the responsible thing to do. It was hard to let my animals go but I continued to remind myself of the benefits. The rats would get more regular cage cleanings, more human interaction/ bonding time. Sometimes the best decision is the hardest. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jmarshall For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-09-2018),Craiga 01453 (07-09-2018)

Thanks

Uuugh.. it's been decided. It was incredibly hard finding someone I was comfortable with, but the pigs will be gone sometime this week It's kinda dumb, but they have a favorite toy I'm gonna send them off with. Whether the new owner decides to keep it or not it'll make me feel a little bit better lol. Goodbye my piggies (Bad pics ik, but Snickers is the white and yellow one and Otis is the big fluffy one)

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GpBp For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-09-2018),Craiga 01453 (07-09-2018)