Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,307

2 members and 3,305 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Exclamation Raid fly/wasp spray harmful to ball pythons?

As it's just becoming summer here in the UK, I haven't seen many flying dangers for quit a while. However, tonight a large wasp flew in and I got the Raid out in a panic and sprayed it in my living room without thinking. My BP lives on the other side of this room.

I sprayed the can away from the direction the tank, and have opened the window for ventilation. The spray did not directly touch my BP, but I still smell it on the air.

I am very worried that I may have indirectly harmed my BP!

On the can it says to remove fish tanks, animal cages, terrariums etc. before use, not to breath the spray, to wash exposed skin and to not remain in the treated area until 15 minutes have passed; among other various warnings.

The aerosol contains '1R-trans phenothrin 0.125% (0.125g/100g),' and 'prallethrin on.10% (0.10g/100g).'

I would be extremely grateful for any guidance, insight or reassurance.

Thank you,
    A
    Last edited by Archer; 05-27-2018 at 09:09 PM.

Thanks

Re: Raid fly/wasp spray harmful to ball pythons?

I would hazard a guess to say that any aerosol chemical could be harmful. If it says that it is toxic to dogs and cats on the can, then assume it's worse for a snake. I'd open and vent the room, maybe move him to a different room until the smell clears
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

Thanks

I have read that the product is apparently safe for cats and dogs as the harmful elements are in low levels. I am venting the room as much as possible and will leave the window open overnight.

It would be very difficult for me to move him at the moment as I am the only one around and his set-up is very large and heavy. Although I want the best for him so will do so if necessary.

-Cheers
    Last edited by Archer; 05-27-2018 at 09:21 PM.

Thanks
    I would move the snake to a different room. If the tank has a screen top I’d clean everything in it and consider wiping your snake down too. General rule of thumb is that pesticides and other chemicals can be toxic to small animals and I’ve heard of people picking up and using Raid specifically against snakes, so it must have some toxicity to them.

Im not sure how large your living room is or how much you sprayed but my worry is that the chemicals will diffuse through the air and get on him and in his water dish with him ingesting the chemical directly.
    Last edited by Trisnake; 05-27-2018 at 10:06 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trisnake For This Useful Post:

Archer (05-27-2018),Bogertophis (05-27-2018)

Thanks
    yes. it is a poison.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    I have read that the product is apparently safe for cats and dogs as the harmful elements are in low levels. I am venting the room as much as possible and will leave the window open overnight.

It would be very difficult for me to move him at the moment as I am the only one around and his set-up is very large and heavy. Although I want the best for him so will do so if necessary.

-Cheers
    Are you able to just transfer him to a pillow case or something similar temporarily, put him in a different room, clean out his habitat and then move him back once the fumes in the room have cleared ?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to B.P.'s 4me For This Useful Post:

Archer (05-28-2018),Bogertophis (05-27-2018)

Thanks

Thank you for your replies.

I've wiped him down with an diluted iodine solution (entirely safe), and have changed his water.

I believe the fumes have dried/dispersed now and I will air out the room for the rest of the night.
    Last edited by Archer; 05-27-2018 at 10:47 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    Personally, I'd move him out of the room too, in a temporary set-up- pillowcase in styrofoam box, etc. And continue airing out the room.

Pesticides are way more harmful to snakes & birds (etc) than to cats, dogs or humans. But they aren't good for us either! I hope he's ok, truly.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Archer (05-28-2018)