Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,388

4 members and 3,384 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

5 years old male not eating

I could use some help with this issue as well, I have a 5 yo male that I got from the repticon it is in a 30x 16x 12 terrarium, I have the UTH at about 91-94-° the cool side is about 78-84 humidity is about a constant 65-70%. Han is used to eating F/T according to previous owner his last meal was the week of April 29th he shed two weeks ago and I only try to feed every week so he does not get used to rejecting food but he seems to only be concerned with getting out of his cage. My other three BP's are feeding fine and have had no issues. Advice would be helpful.
    I use infared gun to spot check along with the digital probe temp gauges.
    Only on hide on warm side as he seemed to like curling around water bowl in cool side.

Thanks

Re: My Ball Python is Hungry but Won't Eat.

My guys setup.
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

http://<a href="https://ball-pythons...&#91;/IMG]</a>

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

All of the above PLUS if you're sure it's hungry then try the 'hairdryer' method next time !!

I'll send you details by PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Squishy View Post
    I could use some help with this issue as well, I have a 5 yo male that I got from the repticon it is in a 30x 16x 12 terrarium, I have the UTH at about 91-94-° the cool side is about 78-84 humidity is about a constant 65-70%. Han is used to eating F/T according to previous owner his last meal was the week of April 29th he shed two weeks ago and I only try to feed every week so he does not get used to rejecting food but he seems to only be concerned with getting out of his cage. My other three BP's are feeding fine and have had no issues. Advice would be helpful.
    I use infared gun to spot check along with the digital probe temp gauges.
    Only on hide on warm side as he seemed to like curling around water bowl in cool side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Squishy View Post
    My guys setup.
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

http://<a href="https://ball-pythons...&#91;/IMG]</a>

First off, you'll get better results starting a newthread rather than resurrecting a five year old thread....

Additionally, your temps are high, you only have one hide, no security, etc...

Are your heat sources regulated by a thermostat???

Thanks

yes I am using a t-stat to control heat, I think I also might need a larger habitat as I can't get a second hide in there- the temp displayed on the temp gun is the hottest spot as the UTH does not heat evenly the UTH is ranging from 88-94. I am gonna pull him out of the tank and see about resecuring the UTH and rearranging his Hab. to see if I can get it better. Thanks

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Capt.Squishy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-27-2018)

Thanks

I would suggest getting rid of the large water dish in favor of a smaller ceramic bowl. That should give you enough room for another hide.

The 94.8 degrees on your temp gun also concerns me. Depending on where you took that temp, there is not a lot of room in your tank for your BP to get away from that.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to larryd23 For This Useful Post:

Apiratenamedjohn (05-27-2018),Bogertophis (05-27-2018)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    First the best thing when you have an issue is to create YOUR own thread, it is much more effective compare to bumping a 5 year old thread, the thread has now be divided.

Your snake is 5 years old it could be 6 to 12 months before he resume feeding, adults tend to take longer to adjust to their new environment, however you also have things you want to address the temps fluctuate too much on each side (you want to see a 2 degree variation at most) so 78/80 and 90/92 would be ideal.
    Deborah Stewart

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Apiratenamedjohn (05-27-2018),Capt.Squishy (05-27-2018)

Thanks

Re: 5 years old male not eating

Thanks didn't realize it was that old until I had posted everything.

Thanks

The temp was a spot check in the hide as the UTH does not heat the bottom as evenly as I would like this was the warmest spot on average the temp in the hide is 88.9. I am actually putting the snake into a bigger hide by end of the week and reducing the water bowl size as well as getting a second hide for the cold side.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    First the best thing when you have an issue is to create YOUR own thread, it is much more effective compare to bumping a 5 year old thread, the thread has now be divided.

Your snake is 5 years old it could be 6 to 12 months before he resume feeding, adults tend to take longer to adjust to their new environment, however you also have things you want to address the temps fluctuate too much on each side (you want to see a 2 degree variation at most) so 78/80 and 90/92 would be ideal.
    Thank you for your help, How do you keep your temp from fluctuating to only 2 degrees- the Tstat controller has a 4 degree variable before it kicks on in the hide and on the cool side the ambient air temp outside the habitat is 80 degrees how do I get my snakes habitat to 78/80 when my house doesn't even get that cool on average? In their natural environment the fluctuations cannot be that minimal to be only 2 degrees off. My herp and breeder recommends to try to keep near those temps but +/- a couple degrees is normal and would also happen in their native environment, that is what we are trying to do for them correct? Trying to mimic their natural home is the goal. Please don't take my questions as any kind of disrespect or anything just trying to understand. Thanks for feedback.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast